Of course Quebec can separate...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm all for supporting Quebec's bid to go it alone.

Just a few minor details to hammer out first.

1, Get own currency.
2, Pay off their share of the debt, within 10 years.
3, Make no claim to the territory, 100kms north of the St. Lawrance, from Sainte Regis to, Brador.
4, Make no claim to the entirety of Ruperts Land.
5, Concede that all Crown Reservations remain Canadian territory, left unmolested, and given rights of free passage.
6, They must make Celine Dion return to Quebec, and keep her their, in silence.

Have I missed any?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
agree with everything except Celine, she should automatically retain her Canadian citizenship.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
There is the issue of partitioning Quebec which will surely come up in the event the separatists win. The logic here is if Quebec can vote to separate from Canada, then cities like Montreal can vote to separate from Quebec. A Montrealwide referendum to remain in Canada will most certainly result in Montreal being partitioned from Quebec. Since the vast majority of the 800,000 or so English speaking Quebeckers reside in Montreal, any separatist government would need to respect the results of a Montrealwide referendum to seperate from Quebec. Otherwise we'd be looking at Civil unrest on the streets of Montreal. It'd be very similar to what occured in Belfast.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There is the issue of partitioning Quebec which will surely come up in the event the separatists win. The logic here is if Quebec can vote to separate from Canada, then cities like Montreal can vote to separate from Quebec. A Montrealwide referendum to remain in Canada will most certainly result in Montreal being partitioned from Quebec. Since the vast majority of the 800,000 or so English speaking Quebeckers reside in Montreal, any separatist government would need to respect the results of a Montrealwide referendum to seperate from Quebec. Otherwise we'd be looking at Civil unrest on the streets of Montreal. It'd be very similar to what occured in Belfast.
Montreal would be found in that territory 100kms north of the St. Lawrence, from Sainte Regis to Brador.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There is a troubling thought here though that throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing.
Its one of those Canadian things you know, something we agreed to nearly a century ago
and the issue would still be valid today.
In and around 1912 when Canada and the others expanded the territory of Quebec to now
include much of the Area around the Hudson Bay region, we signed onto a document with
the Denni People, that we would protect their right to be Canadian and their lands in the
event something like this were to happen. I maintain it would then be incumbent upon us
to go in and protect the rights of Canadians that we signed an agreement with all those years
ago. After all we are paying for the Native Claims that go back further than that. If we were
to go in and protect their rights, or we were to maintain the land of the Natives wishing to be
Canadian remained Canadian we may light the match of a civil war. Why is it, it is never that
easy in Canada.
I can't remember the document, but I do remember it being an issue during the debate on the
failed Meech Lake Accord.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There is a troubling thought here though that throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing.
Its one of those Canadian things you know, something we agreed to nearly a century ago
and the issue would still be valid today.
In and around 1912 when Canada and the others expanded the territory of Quebec to now
include much of the Area around the Hudson Bay region, we signed onto a document with
the Denni People, that we would protect their right to be Canadian and their lands in the
event something like this were to happen. I maintain it would then be incumbent upon us
to go in and protect the rights of Canadians that we signed an agreement with all those years
ago. After all we are paying for the Native Claims that go back further than that. If we were
to go in and protect their rights, or we were to maintain the land of the Natives wishing to be
Canadian remained Canadian we may light the match of a civil war. Why is it, it is never that
easy in Canada.
I can't remember the document, but I do remember it being an issue during the debate on the
failed Meech Lake Accord.
That would be covered by, Ruperts Land and all Crown Reservations, remaining Canadian territory.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I believe anybody can leave Canada as long as the rules are in place before that happens. That way we don't have politicians running around calling groups nations when they aren't. As for the conditions in the OP, Kweebeck could use whatever currency they want, they can pay off their share of the debt whenever and however they want and they can make all the territorial claims they want. That doesn't mean we have to listen to them.

I don't care what Celine does.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Thank you I knew the details about territorial regions were covered by some document
I just couldn't remember which one.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I believe anybody can leave Canada as long as the rules are in place before that happens. That way we don't have politicians running around calling groups nations when they aren't.
I understand you have an extremely poor grasp of Canadian history, but it was already explained to you, and you stated that you were aware of the fact, that the SCC has already made a ruling on that.

So the rules are already there. Whether your bigotry will let you like them or not...

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There is in fact a process for separation it is whether or not the participants and advocate
for separation can meet the measure of the bar, to have the numbers to qualify them to do
so. So far no one has met the measure of acceptance.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I understand you have an extremely poor grasp of Canadian history, but it was already explained to you, and you stated that you were aware of the fact, that the SCC has already made a ruling on that.

So the rules are already there. Whether your bigotry will let you like them or not...

I've already stated that I don't care what the SCC says. We should not allow lawyers to decide the fate of the country. I've said this numerous times. I can't understand why you are having such a difficult time grasping it.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
i've already stated that i don't care what the scc says. We should not allow lawyers to decide the fate of the country. I've said this numerous times. I can't understand why you are having such a difficult time grasping it.

roflmfao

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I've already stated that I don't care what the SCC says.
I know that. But you keep saying the same silly thing, that there is no set standard, and that a lie and you know it. I can't understand why you are having such a difficult time understanding that.

That's not true, I understand bigots all to well.

Anyways, that topic is Quebec separation, not what your bigoted imagination thinks is or isn't a Nation.

You already ran away from the thread dedicated to what a Nation is or isn't. Having failed to provide any evidence to the contrary, let alone something substantial or compelling.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's not what I've said.
Yes it is...

I've said that I don't accept your standards.
No, you said you didn't accept the SCC's standards, which is my standard.

That's not the same as saying they don't exist.
But this is...
That way we don't have politicians running around calling groups nations when they aren't.
I'm not a politician. But I bet they're using the SCC's ruling...

Anyways, go post your drivel in the thread on what a Nation is. Or are you now condoning hijacking threads, after chastising me for it?

Would you like to see your own words on that?

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
Not sure about keeping Ruperts Land much of the territory was signed over during the LeGrande (James Bay) project with documented treaties between PQ the Cree & the Innu. The New Quebec Act of 1911 also gives little or no leeway to the Feds considering it transferred responsibility for Ungava to PQ.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I believe anybody can leave Canada as long as the rules are in place before that happens. That way we don't have politicians running around calling groups nations when they aren't. As for the conditions in the OP, Kweebeck could use whatever currency they want, they can pay off their share of the debt whenever and however they want and they can make all the territorial claims they want. That doesn't mean we have to listen to them.
oes.
The easiest province to separate is Alberta. They would have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Last year I think they paid out about $12 billion in transfer payments only to have Quebec lower it's taxes.

AB, has never been the receiver of transfer payments.
I think in the last 10 yrs it has paid out over $50 billion in trans payments.

There is absolutely no reason for AB to stay in the federation ..

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Anyways, go post your drivel in the thread on what a Nation is. Or are you now condoning hijacking threads, after chastising me for it?

I'm not hijacking the thread. I posted a response to the OP. If that bothers you, go find a tissue.