Another election in six months?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Seeing that we'll likely end up with no party gaining a majority of seats on its own, and that both the Conservatives and the Liberals have ruled out any kind of coalition, and that even a Bloc-NDP-Green coalitoin would still not make up more than half the seats, I don't see how we'll end up with a stable government this time around with both the Conservatives and the Liberals having ruled out the possibility of a coalition. OK, six months is an exaggeration. Another 2 years perhaps?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If the Liberals and the NDP can form a majority, you'll find the Liberals "ruling out a coalition" to have as much credibility as their promise to end GST.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If the Liberals and the NDP can form a majority, you'll find the Liberals "ruling out a coalition" to have as much credibility as their promise to end GST.

You might be right. but then the Liberals could pay in the following election for the lie, with the NDP, Greens and bloc benefiting on the grounds that at least they'd never ruled out a coalition. The Conservatives are cornered too for having ruled out any possibility of a coalition themselves.

In fact, i'd say that even in this election itself the Greens, Bloc and NDP are likely to benefit for not having ruled out a coalition, at least among those looking for more stable government.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

I could grudgingly live with a Liberal/NDP duo, it's coalition chatter with the traitorous Bloc that makes my blood boil.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Neocons will form a coalition with the Bloc to prevent the Liberals from becoming a minority government.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I for one would be very happy to see a coalition government formed as long as it would oust
Harper from power. There are coalition governments all over the world in parliamentary
governments. Israel is a coalition with a conservative prime minister and a labour defence
minister. In Britain the Conservatives and Liberals formed a coalition out of minority government.
What is the problem with Canada doing the same? All this scare stuff is built on the foundation
of nonsense.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I could grudgingly live with a Liberal/NDP duo, it's coalition chatter with the traitorous Bloc that makes my blood boil.

the problem here though is that Ignatieff has ruled out a coalition. He'd be breaking a promise. No skin off Layton's back, though.

Neocons will form a coalition with the Bloc to prevent the Liberals from becoming a minority government.

I'd have no qualms about a Conservative-Bloc coalition. But again, Harper had ruled it out so he'd have to break a promise in order to do this.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Pass on that one.

I for one would be very happy to see a coalition government formed as long as it would oust
Harper from power. There are coalition governments all over the world in parliamentary
governments. Israel is a coalition with a conservative prime minister and a labour defence
minister. In Britain the Conservatives and Liberals formed a coalition out of minority government.
What is the problem with Canada doing the same? All this scare stuff is built on the foundation
of nonsense.

You think there is nothing abnormal in forming a coalition with the Bloq? I don't care if it the conservatives, NDP or Liberals. It reeks of desperation and is a slap in the face to Canadian's

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
of nonsense.

I'd have no qualms about a coalition, even one including the Conservative Party. But now the Conservatives and Liberals have both painted themselves into a corner by ruling out any kind of coalition. By having done so, they've pretty well guaranteed us another election in 2 years time, unless either of them breaks their promise of course, in which case the party breaking the promise would pay the price in 4 or 5 years, portrayed as a snakeoil salesman's party.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
DurkaDurka;1408480You think there is nothing abnormal in forming a coalition with the Bloq? I don't care if it the conservatives said:
Canadian's[/I]

the members of the Bloc are Canadian, as are their voters.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Uh-huh.

Not impossible, but about as likely as it is that you will be struck by lightning next week.....twice. :)

In a month's time, we will have another Conservative minority with minor gains..........and will have spent $300 million on NOTHING thanks to the idiot Count. May he return to Harvard.

Unless of course the Count, who cares absolutely nothing about Canada, steps aside for his successor (who shall be acclaimed by Divine Right, as is becoming habit in Liberal ranks) and that successor initiates the dreaded and destructive Coalition. An act of sedition.

In which case we should (although we won't) go to Ottawa, burn the Parliament buildings, and shoot every bloody politician we can find.

Then start again.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I have no problem with the Bloc being part of a coalition. Those members are from Quebec
which is a province of Canada and all those members are Canadians just like you and I.
What we don't take into consideration here is the fact that for all members of the Commons
there is an oath of loyalty that is taken. yes the Bloc is out for Quebec, but they no more
intend to leave Canada than anyone else. All this is nothing more than Hype and people get
caught up in the issues of the Bloc, when they should be discussing the real issues facing
us all.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Well here we go again. Another thread dedicated to bashing a 'coalition' when that is exactly what our constitution frames. Sure the constitution intended for a coalition of independant MP's but it intended for a coalition none the less.

What everyone seems to miss in all these political discussions is that we are not supposed to have a contest to see who will 'rule' parliament but elect a parliament that works together for Canada.

There is nothing in our constitution to rule out the hypothetical possiblility of say the conservatives winning 180 seats and then parliament actualy voting for Jack Layton or any other MP as PM. It is always assumed that the leader of the party with the most seats will be PM but it is not required by law anywhere, this is the illusion we are presented by natioanal party interests and controllers. What the law does require is that all 308 MP's elect from among themselves a PM, that is all.

Until we get back to the idea of electing local representitives to send to Ottawa who will then choose the best person to act as PM with the best interest of ALL Canadians in mind our system will remain broken and corrupt.

Given all this I would much rather have a coalition govt than a minority and certainly favor it over a majority anyday for it is much closer to true democratic representation of the people.

PS: Why all the worry about a 'Iggy would have to break his promise'? They all break promises everyday so what's the big deal?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I agree Colpie. How dare a majority of the House form a government when a party plurality will do!

If the CPC is sitting with 150 seats, and the Liberals, after having run on a platform of "no coalition', defeat the gov't and hope to form one themselves.....it will be the most undemocratic act since that arsehole Trudeau (another damned Liberal) invoked the War Measures Act......and at least Trudeau could plausibly claim the support of the majority of the people.

Ignatieff's Liberals have run on "no coalition" because they know it is the poison pill that would turn the people against them en masse. They will have NO mandate for coalition, in fact just the opposite.

Uh-huh.

Unless of course the Count, who cares absolutely nothing about Canada, steps aside for his successor (who shall be acclaimed by Divine Right, as is becoming habit in Liberal ranks) and that successor initiates the dreaded and destructive Coalition. An act of sedition.

In which case we should (although we won't) go to Ottawa, burn the Parliament buildings, and shoot every bloody politician we can find.

Then start again.

To any of the denizens of the Ministry of Love, who may be watching:

I am in no way advocating the violent overthrow of the Canadian government, nor am I threatening violence to any person, nor do I intend, now or in future, to ever commit a violent act on a political opponent or anyone else...........

gotta run!

Someone is banging on my door.....

Ralph B

Dec 27, 2010
Orillia Ontario
Seeing that we'll likely end up with no party gaining a majority of seats on its own, and that both the Conservatives and the Liberals have ruled out any kind of coalition, and that even a Bloc-NDP-Green coalitoin would still not make up more than half the seats, I don't see how we'll end up with a stable government this time around with both the Conservatives and the Liberals having ruled out the possibility of a coalition. OK, six months is an exaggeration. Another 2 years perhaps?

Ah you can see the future>>>> who will govern next and what will they do???

you say NDP-Bloc-Green cannot form coalition, now who is to say they may not recieve more seats that it may happen??
May be unlikely I agree, however, many may just want to try change as neither lib or con have really acted as they say on campain trail!!

Minority would be best in my view, either get more would persure things without much opposition could prove destructive for our country!!

the problem here though is that Ignatieff has ruled out a coalition. He'd be breaking a promise. No skin off Layton's back, though.

I'd have no qualms about a Conservative-Bloc coalition. But again, Harper had ruled it out so he'd have to break a promise in order to do this.

People please don't forget a coalition only means that parties will work together on issues, it does not mean that NDP/Liberal/reform (whomever would join them) supports Blocs sepratist views. It only means that they will work on issues that will benifit all concerned and to me that means better for the Canadian people. The will address common issues that would be good for most being seniors, veterans, unemployed, and such where their views have some common ground!!