Gov gives preferential funding to ridings?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
'Normal' for Tory ridings to get more cash: Que. star candidate - Canada Votes 2011 - CBC News

The claim in this article of a Conservative candidate trying to win votes by saying the local riding is more likely to benefit from having an MP of the governing party is not new. I remember last election my local Conservative incumbent did in fact say quite proudly in the middle of a debate that we would benefit from having a governing party Mp in the House. Is this something the conservative Party is proud of? It's shameful. The governing party ought to care for the entire country not just its ridings, regardless of the party in power. It's shamfeul that Cons are proud of this.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Isn't this something that comes up in every single election? I don't know how many times I've heard this kind of thing claimed.

Sad isn't it. And the thought that the candidate actually thinks he'll win votes by saying this?! I don't care of his party affiliation, but I will never vote for a candidate of any party who tries to win votes like this, because then he's essentially admitting his party blackmails ridings their tax dollars! He may not have realised this, but my Conservative MP was essentially admitting this!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
'Normal' for Tory ridings to get more cash: Que. star candidate - Canada Votes 2011 - CBC News

The claim in this article of a Conservative candidate trying to win votes by saying the local riding is more likely to benefit from having an MP of the governing party is not new. I remember last election my local Conservative incumbent did in fact say quite proudly in the middle of a debate that we would benefit from having a governing party Mp in the House. Is this something the conservative Party is proud of? It's shameful. The governing party ought to care for the entire country not just its ridings, regardless of the party in power. It's shamfeul that Cons are proud of this.

Why shouldn't they be proud of the fact? It is the truth, as it is for any party who forms the government, Machjo. Your MP is responsible to his constituents only - not the entire country and if he is able to attain funding for his riding, one would think that he is simply doing his job.

The closer to power one is the better they are able to press for funding for their specific interests.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Why shouldn't they be proud of the fact? It is the truth, as it is for any party who forms the government, Machjo. Your MP is responsible to his constituents only - not the entire country and if he is able to attain funding for his riding, one would think that he is simply doing his job.

The closer to power one is the better they are able to press for funding for their specific interests.

Irrelevant. The governing party ought to at lest try to treat all of Canada equally. Heck, even a bloc MP ought to have equal access to government for his constituency as any other just as a matter of principle.

It may be true that other parties do it, and they ought to try to stop it, but certainly not boast it as that makes it come across as a shameless part of party policy to shut the rest of Canada out. it does say something that they should boast about it!

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Irrelevant. The governing party ought to at lest try to treat all of Canada equally. Heck, even a bloc MP ought to have equal access to government for his constituency as any other just as a matter of principle.

It may be true that other parties do it, and they ought to try to stop it, but certainly not boast it as that makes it come across as a shameless part of party policy to shut the rest of Canada out. it does say something that they should boast about it!

Well... I started candidate-based voting way back when I learned I could get more results from a MP who was active, even if in opposition, that one in the ruling party but living in the Parliamentary lounge.

I learned it from my boss, who would feed campaign funds to NDP one election, PCs the next, etc., and *sometimes* he'd feed campaign funds to *both* parties if he figured they'd be equally effective holding a seat.

Although, for this election, I'm feeling inclined to be swayed whichever way towards whoever's party will pony up the best GI Bill.

There's a difference between being in a position to make the laws versus delivery of government services...

... and if there's not, there should be.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Your MP is responsible to his constituents only

Hate to rain on your parade but.....

The Honourable Mr. Justice, E.A. Marshall, Justice of The Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta in his ruling on Dec 10, 1990 [MP Wilton Littlechild v. Citizens of Canada, Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta Docket No. 9012000725]states "I know of no legal duty on an elected representative at any level of government to consult with his constituents or determine their views. While such an obligation may generally be considered desirable, there is no legal requirement." He goes on to declare"It is of the essence of our parliamentary system of government that our elected representatives should be able to perform their duties courageously and resolutely in what they consider to be the best interests of Canada, free from any worry of being called to account anywhere except in parliament.”

Kind of makes you wonder why we elect anyone don't it. I have tried to raise awareness of this fact for a while. They are not responsible or accountable to anyone.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Boohoo... Quebec got at least 30 years of Favoritism.... Harper is all politicians and claims he cares about Quebec - guess what Frenchies?
We in the West don't give one hoot about you french fry eating hippies! Go take a hike and leave Canada if it's so bad!
Hey easy there, I'm a french fry eating hippy, and I'm no fan of Quebec either.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Noooo you don't want to be a hippy. You're Gen X just like me. We wash.

I was just to make a post about how hippys legitimize stupidity. Perfect example, Elizabeth May is probably going to get the Salt Spring Island seat.