Breaking Down the Taxes Per Person

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
So, I recently got wind that, out of our 30 million Canadian citizens (if I remember that figure correctly) there are 22 million working class taxpayers. Now, for the sake of simplicity I'm going to cut that number down to 20 million, assuming the other 2 million are fraudulent or small business owners (heh heh heh).

So let's put this into perspective - since, I don't know about you, but when I hear 150 million or 3 trillion or 30 billion - I'd really like to know what that would mean to come out of my pocket.

Now, let's start off with the easy one..

150 million / 20 million = $7.5 per person

Well that's not bad. That's just about the amount the we're currently paying right now as the federal government adds $124 million to the debt every day. That would mean that in order to even begin paying off the debt, each person would have to spend about $2,500.00/year.

Just out of curiosity, how much would it take per person, to pay off the debt in full?

560 Billion / 20 million = $28,000.00 per person

Hmm.. okay, well let's look at that 30 billion dollar figure then.

30 Billion / 20 million = $1,363.64 per person

Wow. Flying off some jets will cost as much as flying off to The Bahamas for a week. Well, it's only a week, so we should be able to afford it.

Hmm.. what other national expenses can we plug into this formula?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
So, I recently got wind that, out of our 30 million Canadian citizens (if I remember that figure correctly) there are 22 million working class taxpayers. Now, for the sake of simplicity I'm going to cut that number down to 20 million, assuming the other 2 million are fraudulent or small business owners (heh heh heh).

So let's put this into perspective - since, I don't know about you, but when I hear 150 million or 3 trillion or 30 billion - I'd really like to know what that would mean to come out of my pocket.

Now, let's start off with the easy one..

150 million / 20 million = $7.5 per person

Well that's not bad. That's just about the amount the we're currently paying right now as the federal government adds $124 million to the debt every day. That would mean that in order to even begin paying off the debt, each person would have to spend about $2,500.00/year.

Just out of curiosity, how much would it take per person, to pay off the debt in full?

560 Billion / 20 million = $28,000.00 per person

Hmm.. okay, well let's look at that 30 billion dollar figure then.

30 Billion / 20 million = $1,363.64 per person

Wow. Flying off some jets will cost as much as flying off to The Bahamas for a week. Well, it's only a week, so we should be able to afford it.

Hmm.. what other national expenses can we plug into this formula?
So if we just took the 1000 riches people in Canada and put them in jail for treason for life and took all they own and used that I bet we would pay off the whole debt and deficit leaving the rest of us, off the hook.

That does seem to be the least harmful approach.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Didn't we own an airline at one time or another?

So if we just took the 1000 riches people in Canada and put them in jail for treason for life and took all they own and used that I bet we would pay off the whole debt and deficit leaving the rest of us, off the hook.

That does seem to be the least harmful approach.
We are being ripped off in royalties. Record profits for them but you (Canadians) still get the same percentage.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
We are being ripped off in royalties. Record profits for them but you (Canadians) still get the same percentage.
You don't know what your talking about dumbo, you don't even know Canada's Oil production quantity.

Go back and find something else to complain about!

Ummmm, how about your friend Iggy is such a coward that he could not make a policy statment on reducing the Oil Sands CCA, reduction by coming out west and making the statement here. Instead he hid behind his eastern friends and made the statement there !!! A real coward !!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We only have oil? I know all about how much oil we really have. Do you have any idea how many other resources we have?

Oh yeah, f uck you!