Maintaining election sanity in spite of hate-ads

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
I've noticed among the locals in my district that people are falling into one of two categories.

Those who watch a lot of TV are all miserable and mentally stretched out like rubber bands, not being able to think about the issues with much clarity.

Those who do most of their communicating through the net are more relaxed about it. They're not feeling so much "election fatigue".

I'm in the latter group. I haven't turned on my TV in years, so frankly I don't know what the details are of the hate-ads. I've never seen one.

I know hate-ads are happening because everyone keeps telling me they are, but for me the election is just something that's happening and which I talk to people about, mostly through forums like this.

I have discussions/debates with people of different political inclinations, and it's not driving me nor them to distraction. We have our positions, we discuss them, and nobody's going crazy.

As far as I can tell, the only differences are:

1) When somebody states an opinion, others can respond, like a town-hall meeting, which was considered to be vital to the democratic process back in the day before mass-media... people would travel for miles by horse and buggy to attend town-hall meetings at election time...

And...

2) No hate ads.

So which is it?

Am I feeling okay about this election and just plugging through it as part of my day, reviewing and discussing the issues with no stress because it's a town-hall type situation...

Or is it because I'm not being tortured with hate ads?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If "He's-gonna-do-this-that-and-the-other-thing-and he's this-and-that-so-vote-for-me-because-I'm-not-him" is all either Iggy or Harpo have to offer, why don't both of them go into the numbers racket where there are REAL gains to be taken. The after the gate promises now sound just like the bait they are.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
How do you watch movies? Are you a theater buff or have you just been missing out?
Theater.

There's a review theater a couple blocks away that plays the alternative indie and international stuff plus all the mainstream shows when they're past their first run for about half what it costs to see the movies in their first run.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Theater.

There's a review theater a couple blocks away that plays the alternative indie and international stuff plus all the mainstream shows when they're past their first run for about half what it costs to see the movies in their first run.

To each his own.... but I sure love my Netflix.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
As I have stated before, I loathe attack ads, from any party. I think they demean the Canadian electorate by suggesting that we would blindly believe what they are saying, IMHO. As Thumper once said to Bambi, if you can't say anything nice - don't say anything at all. I would be far more impressed if the ads showcased what each party is bringing to the campaign in the way of ideas to help Canada and Canadians. Enough of the snarling and back-biting and lets get down to what really matters to the voters.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I would be far more impressed if the ads showcased what each party is bringing to the campaign in the way of ideas to help Canada and Canadians.

I've always thought this as well.

Oh, I just realized it's a blue fairy, heh

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
What if a law were passed saying hate ads could not be broadcast if they came from a political entity, but they could be broadcast if they came from NGOs and/or private-citizens and/or private-groups willing to pony up the coin, and that they had to clearly identify in the ad who the sponsor was.

So, you'd get things like ranting hate ads against the Greens and NDP concluding with "Brought to you by Suncorp", and ads ranting against the Conservatives concluding with "Brought to you by the association of permanently wounded war vets", and stuff like that.

Would that work?