Should the Green Party be asked to a Leadership Debate

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Seems that Jackie and Ig are onside with this - no comment from the Conservatives or Bloc yet. I might be more open to having them in the debate were it not for the shrew who leads the party. Her addition last time was a complete farce. From a female's point of view, her inability to keep her yap shut and let others finish their statements; her continual use of slogans and questionable 'facts'; and her persistent nasty edge did nothing to advance women in politics. It says much about the Green Party that they cannot find anyone better to represent them. Their cause might be better championed by Adriane Carr, IMHO.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I haven't seen the last debate, but all party leaders are slanderous aren't they?

Don't they all have a right to debate?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think the networks are being a bit silly imposing rules that don't have any particular grounding in anything. I'm pretty sure they're happy to accept the money for showing Green commercials, don't know why they're being dicky about the debate.

Just more evidence that the CBC is in the pockets of Harper, I guess.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Invite the hamsters to the debate! Are you serious? Global warming lunatics. CO2 twits. People who believe that burying their bagged trash in a big hole out on the fringes is addressing some problem.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I would rather have the Green Party attend the debate instead of the Bloc because at least the Green Party runs across the country!

Here's a reasonable solution:

English debate: Harper, Iggy, Jack and Liz.... No Bloc.

French debate: Harper, Iggy, Jack and Gilles ... No Elizabeth May. Her French was poor and she was just a nuisance to the discussion in the last French debate.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
From a female's point of view, I think we should have moved past the point where we think a poor public performance by a woman makes women look bad. Elizabeth May represents the Green Party not women.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
From a female's point of view, I think we should have moved past the point where we think a poor public performance by a woman makes women look bad. Elizabeth May represents the Green Party not women.

Unfortunately (insert crocodile tears here) the Greens do not have a seat in Parliament.

The Green Party has been a poor public performance with or without Elizabeth May.

If the Greens, why not the Communist Party, both Marxist-Leninist and whatever other branch there is???? Or the Heritage Party, or the Marijuana Party, or whatever other fringe bunch you can think of???

The traditional minimum for consideration is a single seat in Parliament. IMO they screwed up ignoring that last time, as May whined so skilfully....................time to correct that mistake.

The bloody things are disgusting enough as it is.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Unfortunately (insert crocodile tears here) the Greens do not have a seat in Parliament.

The Green Party has been a poor public performance with or without Elizabeth May.

If the Greens, why not the Communist Party, both Marxist-Leninist and whatever other branch there is???? Or the Heritage Party, or the Marijuana Party, or whatever other fringe bunch you can think of???

The traditional minimum for consideration is a single seat in Parliament. IMO they screwed up ignoring that last time, as May whined so skilfully....................time to correct that mistake.

The bloody things are disgusting enough as it is.

Noww now...Don't go badmouthing The Northern Ontario Heritage Party
It's coming back from the early '70s

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think there's a case to be made that any party that gets the 2% vote level that gives them tax money should be allowed at the debate. And the Greens net about the same number of votes as the Bloc.

Let's not forget that when the PC party was down to 2 seats, they were allowed into the debate, even though at the time, under the rules, they should have required 12 seats.

Furthermore, and this is the funniest part, the Liberals and the NDP must have already agreed to the terms that excludes the Greens, since the terms of the debate is negotiated between the broadcasters and the parties, so for the Liberals and NDP to suddenly pretend they support the Greens being there is a bit funny.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

They were the only political party that participated in the last debate that gained votes in 2008 election. They've increased their vote counts in every one of the past 5 elections. The last election was their largest gain ever. Sure, you can call over a decade of increasing public support a poor public performance.

Nearly 7% of the popular vote is hardly fringe. The Christian Heritage (next largest after the Greens) didn't even crack a fifth of a percent. Every other party couldn't make a tenth of a percent. The Greens are small, they have no seats, but they cannot be compared to parties like the CHP or Communist Party, which are practically unremarkable.

There is no traditional minimum consideration. It was completely made up by broadcasters, but even then, they wouldn't have ignored it last time by allowing May to participate in the debate. The Greens had a seat in Parliament when the election was called.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...to-drop-out-and-back-liberals/article1963529/
“I’ve been thinking about this for the past month,” Mr. Dolby said in a telephone interview with The Globe and Mail. “I am really afraid if Stephen Harper got a majority what he would do to the country.”
Ya, like EAO said, he'd turn us into another state and we'd go on war crime binges.
Mr. Dolby, the president of his local branch of the Canadian Auto Workers union,
Why am I not surprised.

I would have insinuated it was Avro, but he's been a member of CUPE for over 20 years I hear.
His roots, he said, are in social justice and he belongs to several nonprofit organizations.
No way! Say it isn't so.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
They were the only political party that participated in the last debate that gained votes in 2008 election. They've increased their vote counts in every one of the past 5 elections. The last election was their largest gain ever. Sure, you can call over a decade of increasing public support a poor public performance.

Nearly 7% of the popular vote is hardly fringe. The Christian Heritage (next largest after the Greens) didn't even crack a fifth of a percent. Every other party couldn't make a tenth of a percent. The Greens are small, they have no seats, but they cannot be compared to parties like the CHP or Communist Party, which are practically unremarkable.

There is no traditional minimum consideration. It was completely made up by broadcasters, but even then, they wouldn't have ignored it last time by allowing May to participate in the debate. The Greens had a seat in Parliament when the election was called.

FINE!

I am willing to consider Ms. May as a participant in the debates.....as long as every candidate has their mike controled by the moderator....when their time is up, it goes to off.

BTW, Ms May is in the running for the most irritating woman on the face of the planet.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Seems that Jackie and Ig are onside with this - no comment from the Conservatives or Bloc yet. I might be more open to having them in the debate were it not for the shrew who leads the party. Her addition last time was a complete farce. From a female's point of view, her inability to keep her yap shut and let others finish their statements; her continual use of slogans and questionable 'facts'; and her persistent nasty edge did nothing to advance women in politics. It says much about the Green Party that they cannot find anyone better to represent them. Their cause might be better championed by Adriane Carr, IMHO.

Since there is zero percent chance of her being the leader, I'd say not. The other alternative would be to make a rule that anyone who talks out of turn is out. Either way would suit me. To be quite truthful I have no recollection of her other than the name so don't know first hand that she's nasty, but your word is good enough for me. :lol: Actually I think they are ALL nasty.