Privatize Canada Post Parcel Delivery

CalgaryFred

Mar 25, 2011
Canada Post Parcel Delivery should be privatized. That is the only way that users of the service will get proper service. Currently, the unionized, coddled, anti-service employees are not interested in doing their jobs, so they should not have them. Cut their salaries by half, and get some people in there who value having a job and who take pride in doing their job well.
Let the free market set the postal rates for parcel delivery.
UPS, FedEx, or other large courier companies could bid to take over the parcel service and vastly improve the service for Canadians.
I look forward to your comments.
Thank you.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
CalgaryFred, be more specific with whatever your issues are.. Did you maybe have to go to a postal outlet to pick up a parcel because you weren't home, or what? If you don't like Canada Post, you are more than welcome to go to UPS or FedEx. Actually, maybe we would prefer if you did.

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
If I remember correctly Canada Post already owns the very competitive "Purolator Courier" for commercial deliveries. So why would you use Parcel Post for anything other than residential delivery. Or are you suggesting Canada Post sell off both Parcel Post & Purolator?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Canada Post Parcel Delivery should be privatized. That is the only way that users of the service will get proper service. Currently, the unionized, coddled, anti-service employees are not interested in doing their jobs, so they should not have them. Cut their salaries by half, and get some people in there who value having a job and who take pride in doing their job well.
UPS, FedEx, or other large courier companies could bid to take over the parcel service and vastly improve the service for Canadians.
Thank you.

I know I have no idea what all the ramifications are but I know several times I've been quite chagrinned at having to pay over $6 to mail something the size of my thumb.

Have no idea what the current rates are but quite recently it was cheaper to ship by Greyhound and generally faster too.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I know I have no idea what all the ramifications are but I know several times I've been quite chagrinned at having to pay over $6 to mail something the size of my thumb.

Have no idea what the current rates are but quite recently it was cheaper to ship by Greyhound and generally faster too.

Greyhound is cheaper because it only delivers to the bus station and the customer has to pick the parcel up there.

Conservative governments in the past have tried to privatize Canada Post as a whole but because the deal is every person will get mail delivery big corporations have not stepped up to the plate.

Rural delivery is a big money loser but city delivery is a big moneymaker.

Canada Post is on a new program to cut down the amount of employees to save money by introducing community mail boxes on the street corners in the big cities so tthat everyone can pick up there mail and door to door delivery would be history.

Delivering to community mail boxes takes less employees.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Greyhound is cheaper because it only delivers to the bus station and the customer has to pick the parcel up there.
Incorrect.

Does GCX deliver to homes and apartments?
Yes. Greyhound Courier Express offers Door to Door service in most major locations. Residential surcharge may apply.

Greyhound Courier Express - FAQ

But I can forgive you for being an uninformed Liberal.

Canada Post is on a new program to cut down the amount of employees to save money by introducing community mail boxes on the street corners in the big cities so tthat everyone can pick up there mail and door to door delivery would be history.
So in other words, less service, for more money. Very Liberal of them.

Delivering to community mail boxes takes less employees.
And yet the cost savings isn't being seen.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
First, a letter went by pony. Then it moved faster by train. Then they killed passenger trains and railroad postal cars and went CUPW - and the ponies have been laughing ever since

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
[And yet the cost savings isn't being seen./QUOTE]

CDNBear the cost savings will never be seen because it will be re-invested because it is a crown corporation now if Canada Post would lose that and be bought back to the federal government then you could see it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
CDNBear the cost savings will never be seen because it will be re-invested because it is a crown corporation now if Canada Post would lose that and be bought back to the federal government then you could see it.
Can you straighten out the grammar errors in that, so I can understand what you're trying to say?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Thank you.

This seems to be the rote response now to anything that smacks of government or unions. In fact now we a have a concerted campaign by neoconservative, libertarian elements to eliminate unions, and any dirigist role for government in managing the economy, and providing a level playing field for business, consumers and workers. It's a prescription for economic collapse and societal dissolution.

Without unions we would not have 40 hr. work weeks, safe working conditions, fair wages. In fact the realization global corporate utopia that the neocons envisage will produce a crisis unlike anything we have seen in centuries. We got just a little taste of it in 2008, but that is nothing compared to what we can expect.

Only a fool sees anything good coming from a situation where neither the electorate nor the worker is represented by institutions (of government or unions), and ae completey amoral and rapacious global investment organism rules our destiny.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
As bad as Canada Post is private couriers are even worse.

They deliver @ times most people aren't home and if you want pickup you have to drive to distant suburbs on the weekend-been there/done that.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Without unions we would not have 40 hr. work weeks, safe working conditions, fair wages. In fact the realization global corporate utopia that the neocons envisage will produce a crisis unlike anything we have seen in centuries. We got just a little taste of it in 2008, but that is nothing compared to what we can expect.

Unions had their place. It's a good thing that they where formed & accomplished what they did.
We now already have 40 hr. work weeks, safe working conditions, fair wages, etc...so what're
they doing now? What role do (& are) they playing currently?

I can work a 40 hr work week if I choose to. This month is typical, & I'll have worked about 240hrs
or so when it's all said & done....by my choice. My employer pay's overtime for any time worked
after 160hrs (not the 168hrs of Labour laws, or after 8hrs/day, etc...), with no shortage of work
what so ever. Usually the last 1/3 of the month is overtime for me. Works for me, & no union.
My choice....not a unions. If I didn't like that wage & time, I could go elsewhere. So again,
we now already have 40 hr. work weeks, safe working conditions, fair wages, etc...so what're
Unions doing for us now? What role do (& are) they playing currently?

CalgaryFred

Mar 25, 2011
Lots of interesting replies. Thanks. I should clarify. I think that the parcel delivery service of Canada Post should be privatized, not the letter regular service. I see a national-unity need for continuing letter delivery to every address in the country.
CP parcel carriers will drop off a notice in my mail box but they never knock on my door. I work from home, my desk is 16 feet from the door, I even hear when someone knocks on my neighbour's door (I live in a townhouse); it is not the case that I do not hear them.
Private couriers always knock and I always hear them.
I complained many times years ago and nothing improved. I gave up.
Yesterday, I experienced another no-knock notice dropoff, and I just blew my top. I ranted and said a few things that I am not proud of -- I am not anti-union; I worked in a unionized workplace for 12 years and I know the tricks that we were taught by other unionized employees in order to make more work hours for ourselves, so I wonder whether this no-knock practice is an attempt to require two notice drop off trips for each package.
Private couriers always knock and I always hear them. I have never had to go down to UPS or FedEX to get my parcels; they even re-deliver; CP does not! I always have to go down to the drug store to get my CP parcels.
Maybe union protection has gone too far and the pendulum has to swing a little the other way. Or, maybe the reason for parcel carriers not knocking lies elsewhere. I wish a CP parcel delivery person would add their input to this conversation.