Pierre Trudeau trashed!! Read this....I love it!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
One story sums up the man best.
1979. Trudeau had lost that year’s election. His career seemed finished. Reporters awaited in the driveway of 22 Sussex Drive as he stepped into his gull-winged vintage Mercedes to speed away into history.
One shouted: “Mr. Prime Minister – any regrets?”
Pierre Trudeau pondered. Perhaps he had planned, perhaps he remembered something that Richard Nixon had said after losing the California governor’s race in 1962. In an instant Pierre Trudeau revised Nixon’s words to his own very different purpose. “Yes,” he said. “I regret I won’t have you to kick around any more.”
It’s long past time that Canadians in turn resolved: no longer to be posthumously kicked by this bad man and disastrous prime minister.
David Frum: The disastrous legacy of Pierre Trudeau | Full Comment | National Post

Oh and that is just the conclusion!

Well worth the read, love him (God forbid) or hate him.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
ROFLMFAO, I am soooooooo going to enjoy placing my "X" anywhere but beside Harpers name.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Every now and then Frum gets it right; he really got this one right. Turdoh was a nightmare.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Troll :)

All I can say is you'll get exactly what you deserve......if you vote for the winning side.
We will get exactly the same no matter who wins. PMs and parties hold no power at all. You will get whoever the ruling elite say you get and you will not like it any which way but loose. Stock up on Vaseline and Preparation H.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
ROFLMFAO, I am soooooooo going to enjoy placing my "X" anywhere but beside Harpers name.

What does Harper have to do with Trudeau, other than having to deal with the leftover climate that he created? Frum nailed what was wrong with Trudeau's regime. Undoubtedly, some will attempt to come to his defense, but the man was an unmitigated disaster, as Frum asserts.

I don't understand those who still want to defend the man. Maybe its because I was raised in Alberta and saw the direct effects of his policies and what they meant to so many people (losing jobs, businesses and homes), as I was growing up. He is responsible for my deep distrust of the Liberal party in all its forms (although his acolyte, Chretien, did a pretty good job of helping that distrust grow as well).

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Troll :)

All I can say is you'll get exactly what you deserve......if you vote for the winning side.

Colpy....you mean....you...don't ...like the Liberals.??.8O.....I'm shocked....8O

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
What? Ultraconservative David Frum doesn't like Pierre Trudeau? Isn't he beating a dead horse - literally? Isn't it also interesting that a recent poll voted Trudeau Canada's greatest PM? That must really stick in Frum's throat.

And who does Frum choose as examples of Prime Ministers who had to clean up Trudeau's mistakes? - Mulroney, Chretien, and Harper. I might be able to go along with Chretien, but he was actually cleaning up Mulroney's mistakes. As for Harper he is the antithesis of a true conservative in everything but his religious beliefs and tendency to keep government as secretive as possible. Just in case Mr. From didn't notice it is Harper who has expanded the Canadian civil service to record levels and who is currently running the largest deficits in Canadian history.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What? Ultraconservative David Frum doesn't like Pierre Trudeau? Isn't he beating a dead horse - literally? Isn't it also interesting that a recent poll voted Trudeau Canada's greatest PM? That must really stick in Frum's throat.

And who does Frum choose as examples of Prime Ministers who had to clean up Trudeau's mistakes? - Mulroney, Chretien, and Harper. I might be able to go along with Chretien, but he was actually cleaning up Mulroney's mistakes. As for Harper he is the antithesis of a true conservative in everything but his religious beliefs and tendency to keep government as secretive as possible. Just in case Mr. From didn't notice it is Harper who has expanded the Canadian civil service to record levels and who is currently running the largest deficits in Canadian history.

The idea that Pierre Trudeau was Canada's greatest PM.....over Sir John A. for example, is an outlandish exhibition of Canadian ignorance of their own government and history.

Mr. Frum, if you read the article, was engaged in a formal debate.....

I would like to read the other side. Might be good for a laugh.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
There there Colpy, that dirty old dead horse isn't going to bother you again, we hope? :lol:

Caroline Mallan
QUEEN'S PARK BUREAU CHIEF

Pierre Trudeau is the top pick as the greatest Canadian of the 20th century, a new national public opinion survey suggests.

In second place is Terry Fox, the inspirational hero who tried to walk across Canada after losing a leg to cancer, while hockey great Wayne Gretzky is the top choice of living Canadians.

The poll, conducted by Ekos Research Associates, asked more than 3,000 Canadians to name their choice for top honours. Trudeau was the resounding favourite at 32 per cent, with Fox coming a distant second at 6 per cent and Gretzky placing third with 4 per cent.

Fourth-place honours were shared by former prime minister Lester B. Pearson, who is viewed as the father of Canadian peacekeeping, and René Lévesque, who led the separatist Parti Québécois to its first electoral victory. Both men were named by 3 per cent of respondents.

Former prime ministers William Mackenzie King, Wilfrid Laurier, John Diefenbaker and Brian Mulroney are also named in the survey, but received less than 2 per cent of the votes.

Frank Graves, president of Ekos, said the battle that Trudeau and Lévesque fought for the hearts of Quebecers seems to continue from the grave.

"Even in death, Trudeau trumps Lévesque," said Graves of the findings.

Trudeau support was strongest in Quebec and Ontario and waned in the western provinces, especially Alberta, where Trudeau's controversial National Energy Program is still proving to be a sore point, Graves added. He said the people who chose Trudeau are the baby-boomers who were coming of age when "Trudeaumania" swept the nation in the early 1970s.

Prime Minister Jean Chrétien was the top choice among living politicians, with 2 per cent of the vote.
He tied with Frederick Banting, discoverer of insulin.

Other Canadians mentioned randomly by respondents include pop diva Céline Dion and World War I flying ace Billy Bishop.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Obviously personally you are a masochist mentalfloss , correct ?haha
How cann he be a masochist? The man has been dead a long time and his "rein of terror" ended long before that. What has it got to do with today? I think nothing. Conservatives are grabbing at straws to deflect blame from their hero Harpo. Iggy has already been crucified on the alter of public opinion by the media, so one has to wonder why the conservatives still feel so insecure that they need to bash a dead guy.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The idea that Pierre Trudeau was Canada's greatest PM.....over Sir John A. for example, is an outlandish exhibition of Canadian ignorance of their own government and history.

Mr. Frum, if you read the article, was engaged in a formal debate.....

I would like to read the other side. Might be good for a laugh.

Ahhhh yes, McDonald, one of Canada's premier alcoholics, definitely someone to aspire to.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Ahhhh yes, McDonald, one of Canada's premier alcoholics, definitely someone to aspire to.

Thanks for proving my point......you can't even spell the name of the nation's founder.

Better Sir John A. Macdonald drunk, than any other PM sober.........

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Thanks for proving my point......you can't even spell the name of the nation's founder.

Better Sir John A. Macdonald drunk, than any other PM sober.........

[SIZE=+1]Did You Know?[/SIZE]Macdonald's political career was marred by a well-publicized drinking problem. He would often drink throughout meetings and often forgot the proceedings of the day.
The Hon. George Brown, founder of The Globe (now Globe and Mail) newspaper, was Macdonald's arch enemy and, whenever Macdonald went on a binge, Brown printed a 'sick' notice in his paper.
Sir John A. Macdonald

During a campaign speech, after a particularly long evening he was unable to hold his own and threw up on the back of the platform. His opponent pointed and said "Is this the man you want running your country, a drunker." MacDonald pulled himself together and stood up for his rebuttal and quietly said " I get sick sometimes not because of drink or any other cause, except that I am forced to listen to the ranting of my honorable opponent."

Typical alcoholic, dismissing his obvious problems and blaming others for it. Or could that be a typical conservative trait?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Trudeau had his strong points and his weak points. The one thing I could never figure out was what women saw in him.

He was one of the fugliest Canadians ever. Next to Geddy Lee the fugliest.

Geddy is the one on the right :)