Evaluating the Conservatives

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Before drawing conclusions about the Conservatives I'm wondering if we shouldn't be paying a little more attention to Flaherty and a little less to Harper.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Farty?

Self absorbed, opportunistic, flip flopping little midget of a wind bag.

Trust me on this, every budget he has produced has been done with clenched teeth.

Middle of the road......my arse.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Farty?

Self absorbed, opportunistic, flip flopping little midget of a wind bag.

Trust me on this, every budget he has produced has been done with clenched teeth.

Middle of the road......my arse.

Your opinion as usual to put it nicely......................questionable. :smile:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Your opinion as usual to put it nicely......................questionable. :smile:

I've met the man on a few occassions when he was an MPP.....not hard to get a meeting when you have a buisness.

He's a quif....you can love him all you want.

Dosen't bother me at all.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've met the man on a few occassions when he was an MPP.....not hard to get a meeting when you have a buisness.

He's a quif....you can love him all you want.

Dosen't bother me at all.

Not surprising- pretty well coincides with your opinion of most people. :smile:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Not surprising- pretty well coincides with your opinion of most people. :smile:

Does it now?

Truth is, I'd probally vote for the cons in the next election despite their utter arrogance and how that would play out in a majority but I cannot and will not vote for that little piece of garbage....and he's in my riding.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Does it now?

Truth is, I'd probally vote for the cons in the next election despite their utter arrogance and how that would play out in a majority but I cannot and will not vote for that little piece of garbage....and he's in my riding.

Which reinforces my previous post. :smile:

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Common sense middle of the road sort of guy who doesn't spend a lot of time posturing.
Really.

Then how come on the CBC he just said that his party had "the best preparation for the recession" when in fact all the policies to have minimized its effects on Canada were inherited from Paul Martin?

Is it because he likes to lie, or is it because he has no knowledge of how macroeconomics works and therefore is unqualified for the job?

How come he never mentions that the huge deficit we've wracked up during the recession was made worse by his party because of tax cuts to corporations when the corporations were *not* asking for such a thing... business was going quote okay already and we were paying down the national debt (for that matter, does he even know the difference between a debt and a deficit?)

If we'd just left things the way Martin had set it up, we would have weathered the recession with less deficit.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Really.

Then how come on the CBC he just said that his party had "the best preparation for the recession" when in fact all the policies to have minimized its effects on Canada were inherited from Paul Martin?

Is it because he likes to lie, or is it because he has no knowledge of how macroeconomics works and therefore is unqualified for the job?

How come he never mentions that the huge deficit we've wracked up during the recession was made worse by his party because of tax cuts to corporations when the corporations were *not* asking for such a thing... business was going quote okay already and we were paying down the national debt (for that matter, does he even know the difference between a debt and a deficit?)

If we'd just left things the way Martin had set it up, we would have weathered the recession with less deficit.
When it comes to big decisions, like the budget, somehow this should be our decision and not the decisions of oppossion parties who have a vested interest in how they vote, which is not always in our interests !!

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
When it comes to big decisions, like the budget, somehow this should be our decision and not the decisions of oppossion parties who have a vested interest in how they vote, which is not always in our interests !!
Which "opposition" parties are you talking about?

The Reform Party (now called the Conservative party, not to be confused with the Progressive Conservative party of Joe Clark days) when they were not in power?

Are you saying that there should be some kind of online polling system where every single citizen gets to pitch in a budget of their own, whereupon a computer algorithm pulls them all together and averages them out?

The issue of "taxes" versus "tax cuts" is this:

If business is spending its profits back on the people from whom it makes its profits, then yes, low taxes can enable business to expand and make more jobs.

But if business is:

1) Investing the profits in China and India, then it just bleeds money out of the economy from which they made their profits and reduces the standard of living,

or

2) Investing the profits back in the economy from which they made their profits but are not hiring humans, rather, they invest in robot labor to do the work,

Then low taxes are of no benefit to citizens withing the domain.

Harpo's controllers do both. They take money out of Canada and move it oversees, and when they do have to invest it in Canada in order to do something they cannot move elsewhere, like dig up minerals, then as much as possible they replace the labor with robots.

The only businesses worthy of low taxes are those which hire local people, and buy materials locally, which today tends to be small business.

If the government really wanted to stimulate business within it's jurisdiction, it would cut taxes to those operations which hire and buy resources locally, and they'd tax those which export money out of the country.

If you can keep money recycling within an economy, then each dollar spent in fact creates 49 dollars worth of economic activity.

That was how Japan was able to build up over the years, with *no* natural resources. So many people think Japan was a big trading nation, but in fact only 18% of its economy was driven by trade. All the rest was internal. They were their own best customers, and they were recycling materials way, way ahead of anyone else.

The trick was, they made sure that every dollar brought in stayed there, but Harpo wants to cut taxes to the mega-corps owned by NY shareholders in order to send even more money out of the country than was already being sent, and the effect has been a lower standard of living and higher unemployment, even though we're living in once of the richest places on earth.

I just heard Flaherty say on CBC that "our policies will keep the economy growing".

Really... so every time you hear that the economy grew by 1-3%, did your standard of living go up by 1-3% ???

Or did they just increase by 1-3% the rate at which the multi-nationalists are gutting resources from the dominion?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Just to keep this in perspective:

Canadian Public Debt Clock

Remember when those dirty Liberals were paying off the debt and things were getting better....:roll:

Yeah, that was before the WORLD economy crashed (obviously Harper's fault), and the Liberals threatened to put the Bloc in power if the Conservatives didn't spend billions.

AND now the Libs/NDP are threatening to vote out the gov't because they are not spending enough.....

Kinda blows that argument out of the water.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yeah, that was before the WORLD economy crashed (obviously Harper's fault), and the Liberals threatened to put the Bloc in power if the Conservatives didn't spend billions.

AND now the Libs/NDP are threatening to vote out the gov't because they are not spending enough.....

Kinda blows that argument out of the water.

That is just silly. The current national debt is $562 billion. The
country was broke after Mulroney. The Liberals were at least
paying down the debt.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
As I'm sure you're aware, they aren't asking the government to spend X amount on everything...but that's not a very good talking point for Party faithful like yourself to shout from their bull horns I understand

The Liberals took the Tories to task for spending 1000 times more on fighter jets than on post-secondary education. The NDP had given Harper 4 criteria for their support, and he gave them two. The Bloc wanted reimbursement for their HST...Ontario and BC both received money, none for Quebec.

Somebody wants an election....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That is just silly. The current national debt is $562 billion. The
country was broke after Mulroney. The Liberals were at least
paying down the debt.

They were, and they did a good job with the revenue flow they had...........no denying that.

Mulroney did a good job of setting up the government for vastly improved revenue flow with the creation of the GST.....which the Liberals promised to cancel, but you know, that was before they were in power.......