What are the chances?

Grey Knight

Mar 19, 2011
Victoria, BC Canada
I wonder what the chances of the Governor General denying Harper the election and asking Iggy, as the official opposition, to form a government if the government falls on a non-confidence vote in the coming week. I have actually emailed the GG to ask him to do this, so that may skew the odds a bit.
I think having a coalition run the country until the next legislated election date would be great. Canadians could get over the unreasoning fear of coalitions that has been planted and nurtured by Harper and his cronies.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I wonder what the chances of the Governor General denying Harper the election and asking Iggy, as the official opposition, to form a government if the government falls on a non-confidence vote in the coming week. I have actually emailed the GG to ask him to do this, so that may skew the odds a bit.
I think having a coalition run the country until the next legislated election date would be great. Canadians could get over the unreasoning fear of coalitions that has been planted and nurtured by Harper and his cronies.

Why? Is there a national crisis that the current minority government can't handle?

Why would the GG create trumoil where there is none?

Only an election by the people will sort out the next government.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Unfortunately, you have lost your mind.

The coalition would include, as a major partner, the Bloc Quebecois........and, in case you haven't noticed, the BQ
does NOT have the best interests of Canada at heart. In fact, the very reason for the BQ's existence is the total destruction of our nation.

Idiotic.

Brain-dead.

In fact, the best reason to give Harper a MAJORITY in the next election is to keep the BQ away from government, to render them increasingly irrelevant, to make clear to the people of Quebec that electing the BQ is counter-prodictive.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Not much chance at all I am afraid. A coalition would be good for Canada but the neocons are spoilers and as such would work to make a coalition government not work. While the Liberals and the NDP could work together the Bloc would be taking some liberties though hardly the doomsday Colpy lives in fear of.

The GG was appointed by Harper and as such, nothing more than a lapdog to the PMO. Like Harper would appoint anyone not totally under his control.

Canada us becoming what Bushco wanted for America. We are more warlike than ever before, now threatening Libya, saber rattling over the New North with these knew fighter jets and so on.

Canada has always had the reputation of sober and reasoned approach to foreign policy that gave us world renown as peace keepers and a trusted group to step between two factions at war. We're losing that under the Harper regime.
With the economy sputtering along, international events like the Middle East uprising and the tragedy in Japan, there are pressures on our nation to right our keel and get our own house in order so that people can get back to work, back to making money and a decent living. Secure the north for our future and reorganize our military for defense of our nation, guarding our sovereignty, and providing a rapid crisis response should a tragic situation befall our nation just as it has Japan.

All these things are well beyond the scope of the neocon regime that can only grasp at holding onto power, pander to the fanatic right and let our established and traditional institutions sink into bankruptcy through under funding hospitals, to pay for prisons, turning away from multiculturalism in favour of nationalism and whittling away at gender equality.

We need to have a national discussion on the direction to take our future in and an election is a good way to have that discussion.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

The GG would have to believe that a coalition would have the support of the majority of Canadians. And I don't think that's the case.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Not much chance at all I am afraid. A coalition would be good for Canada but the neocons are spoilers and as such would work to make a coalition government not work. While the Liberals and the NDP could work together the Bloc would be taking some liberties though hardly the doomsday Colpy lives in fear of.

The GG was appointed by Harper and as such, nothing more than a lapdog to the PMO. Like Harper would appoint anyone not totally under his control.

CDN Bear and I are going to launch extraction mission to get you the hell out of Toronto. You are accusing the GG of being a neocon lapdog?

Jesus H Christ Unf! Get the hell out of that city before they suck the good sense I know you have out of your head.

Canada us becoming what Bushco wanted for America. We are more warlike than ever before, now threatening Libya, saber rattling over the New North with these knew fighter jets and so on.

Canada has always had the reputation of sober and reasoned approach to foreign policy that gave us world renown as peace keepers and a trusted group to step between two factions at war. We're losing that under the Harper regime.
With the economy sputtering along, international events like the Middle East uprising and the tragedy in Japan, there are pressures on our nation to right our keel and get our own house in order so that people can get back to work, back to making money and a decent living. Secure the north for our future and reorganize our military for defense of our nation, guarding our sovereignty, and providing a rapid crisis response should a tragic situation befall our nation just as it has Japan.
If the federal government sat out the the UN sanctioned NO-FLY-ZONE the criticism from the left would have been overwhelming.

All these things are well beyond the scope of the neocon regime that can only grasp at holding onto power, pander to the fanatic right and let our established and traditional institutions sink into bankruptcy through under funding hospitals, to pay for prisons, turning away from multiculturalism in favour of nationalism and whittling away at gender equality.
This is why the Liberals cannot get their crap together. Fear mongering-baseless accusations-arrogance are not the way to gain the Canadian peoples trust. This song and dance just doesn't cut it with Canadians anymore.

We need to have a national discussion on the direction to take our future in and an election is a good way to have that discussion.
Well it will be a good way to waste millions of dollars get rid of that buffoon the Liberals have for a leader. He'll be gone once the election is lost. Why not just fire the idiot and save a bunch time and dough?

Watch and see what your Natural Governing Party loses if it shoves an election down the Canadian public throat. There will be a majority, but it won't be a Liberal majority.

polaris

Nominee Member
Jan 7, 2011
Colpy and his thick-headed sidekick soldier seem to be unaware that in fact it is the conservatives that want the election....They're ahead in the polls!...they just don't want the Canadian public to think they are causing an "unnecessary election".

If those 2 are not aware of this they are stupid...if they are aware of it they are just 2 more conservative liars in a great long line of them.

It was standard operating procedure in the US for failing administrations to jump into another flag waving foreign war in order to distract voters from numerous shortcomings. I don't suppose Harpy and the Conmen would be taking a page out of that playbook with this latest sortie into Libya?

Of course if we lost a couple of fighters it would provide Stevie with a better reason to buy new ones.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
An election is pointless in a nation that needs a revolution. They are scared ****less of Joe six pack sobering up and figuring things out. Maybe it's time to bring back no beer on Sunday?

polaris

Nominee Member
Jan 7, 2011
An election is pointless in a nation that needs a revolution. They are scared ****less of Joe six pack sobering up and figuring things out. Maybe it's time to bring back no beer on Sunday?
unfortunately Joe Sixpack just bought another sixpack.

Grey Knight

Mar 19, 2011
Victoria, BC Canada
The GG would have to believe that a coalition would have the support of the majority of Canadians. And I don't think that's the case.

The GG would probably think Iggy might get the confidence of a majority of the members of Parliament. It is not the GG's job to figure out what the majority of Canadians want. It would be more important for the GG to believe asking Iggy to form a government is the right thing to do at this time.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I like what Harper is doing. He recognized the importance of securing our northern border even though most Canadians slept through the US/Russia debating about who would get it. He's following Britain with actions in Libya. So far, he seems to be giving provinces generous autonomy. He has assisted Canadians stranded in foreign countries due to natural and political disasters, ensured that law abiding Canadians are safe. What more do Canadians want from a Prime Minister ... some guy that moved to the states and now wants to tell us what we want?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
... We are more warlike than ever before, now threatening Libya, saber rattling over the New North with these knew fighter jets and so on.

Someone REALLY needs to read some Canadian history books. Our entire history is one of conflict, pre and post Confederation. The various wars between Europeans and different aboriginal peoples (on both sides) during the establisment of the colonies that became Canada (the English and French were almost always at war in the days prior to the Plains of Abraham and that was true here was well although it played out here on a smaller scale than in Europe); the minor uprisings against the gov'ts that happened in both Upper and Lower Canada long before even the Riel Rebellion (the most well known uprising in our history); the Boer War; the World Wars; Korea... Yes, in the past couple decades we played a role in some UN peacemaking operations but most people don't want to know the truth about those missions either, in that some times, our guys had to intervene forcefully and sometimes they had to defend themselves. The major differences between our history and the Americans, aside from scale, is that the Crown lost to an uprising, south of the border, and we never had any Spanish involvement this far north.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Colpy and his thick-headed sidekick soldier seem to be unaware that in fact it is the conservatives that want the election....They're ahead in the polls!...they just don't want the Canadian public to think they are causing an "unnecessary election".

If those 2 are not aware of this they are stupid...if they are aware of it they are just 2 more conservative liars in a great long line of them.

It was standard operating procedure in the US for failing administrations to jump into another flag waving foreign war in order to distract voters from numerous shortcomings. I don't suppose Harpy and the Conmen would be taking a page out of that playbook with this latest sortie into Libya?

Of course if we lost a couple of fighters it would provide Stevie with a better reason to buy new ones.

Well, the Conservatives are already in power.....or hadn't you noticed? I would say the Conservatives are liking the polls enough that they are not going to be willing to buy the BQ an arena (like Iggy) or kiss Jack's butt to get the budget passed. Instead, I predict the budget will be a Conservative budget, and the rest can like it or not. The Conservative Party is ready and willing for an election fight.

As for the UNITED NATIONS foray into Libya to save the rebels......a couple of things I would like to point out:

1. It is a UN mission, you know, like peacekeeping. :p
2. The philosophy of "responsibility to protect" was the brainchild of Paul Martin, our Liberal PM......I guess you, like most Liberal morons, expected us just to jabber away paying lip service, letting everyone else carry the burden, and making Canada a laughingstock. The Conservatives live up to their obligations.
3. The unpredictibility of the world makes clear the need for Canada to have the best military equipment available for our forces. Who could have known we would be engaged in military operations over Lybia even two months ago? We need to be prepared to fight. The F-35s are necessary.

As for intellectual capability........well, I'm not the one that wants to hand the reins of the Canadian government to the BQ.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hardly. Colpy is actually just referring to those liberties. But I'm glad you recognize the treasonous BQ would be trying to take liberties. Which is why a coalition with them is tantamount to treason, in my books.

You're right, it's a neo-conspiracy.

You really should brush up on Canadian history. Not just the rosy version the liberal hotbeds, known as public schools, tout as fact.

Canada has always had the reputation of sober and reasoned approach to foreign policy that gave us world renown as peace keepers and a trusted group to step between two factions at war.
Really? Then why were we once a feared fighting force? Note the past tense.
We're losing that under the Harper regime.
What war has Harpo and company signed us for?
With the economy sputtering along, international events like the Middle East uprising and the tragedy in Japan, there are pressures on our nation to right our keel and get our own house in order so that people can get back to work, back to making money and a decent living.
I'm back to making a good living.

Secure the north for our future and reorganize our military for defense of our nation, guarding our sovereignty, and providing a rapid crisis response should a tragic situation befall our nation just as it has Japan.
Ummm, didn't you just say "saber rattling over the New North". So which is it? Is he doing something about our North for our future or is that a bad thing. You've just said both.

Dude!!! Put the bong down, or at least change the water!!!

You actually think any party in Ottawa is going to strike up that conversation?

I have property in Florida for you. Cheap!

My oldest is in Ottawa this weekend with Cadets. They're supposed to meet some MP's and possibly Harpo. I mentioned how awesome that would be. If only for the simple reason, as soon as those kids walk into Parliament, a collective brain scan of the place would effective register a blip, for the first time in years.

CDN Bear and I are going to launch extraction mission to get you the hell out of Toronto. You are accusing the GG of being a neocon lapdog?
Locked and loaded, Top. Go code for ex op "Cool Cat", is "Kitteh".

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Look at the frothing over Libyan oil. Now, since there is some internal conflict in Libya, which is also in many other countries in various degrees, the US and France are already bombing Libya. We're champing at the bit to get in there, while we still haven't finished the mess we started in Afghanistan. Which was something we should be involved in.

We have no right to invade Libya. No more than some other country has the right to shut down our air space over First Nations Treaty issues like Caledonia or Oka. They are internal and as such, up to the government of that land to deal with. Sanctions I can understand, but no military intervention.

Rwanda had no oil. We watched the slaughter. China and Tibet, Russia and Chechnya, Congo, Somalia, Egypt, Israel, Bahrain, and of course Iran. Kinda busy kicking the imaginary stone around eyes cast down there aren't we? Two reasons, serious ass kicking, and no oil.

We need to stop this giving everyone freedom **** as unless it's earned it means nothing. Guaranteed it will be thrown right back to us.

This is the path these fools want to take us down because an election looms. We don't need to go fight someone's war to avoid facing an election.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We need to stop this giving everyone freedom **** as unless it's earned it means nothing. Guaranteed it will be thrown right back to us.
I've been saying that for years. Democracy must be fought for and earned to be appreciated, anywhere and everywhere, ncluding Afghanistan.

This is the path these fools want to take us down because an election looms. We don't need to go fight someone's war to avoid facing an election.
Ya, our commitment is so massive, it shadows Parliament hill.

BTW, oil is what it is, and without it, we don't do much. Hard to get that new guitar string the next day, when it's coming by Pony Express.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

Jesus H Christ Unf! Get the hell out of that city before they suck the good sense I know you have out of your head.

If the federal government sat out the the UN sanctioned NO-FLY-ZONE the criticism from the left would have been overwhelming.

This is why the Liberals cannot get their crap together. Fear mongering-baseless accusations-arrogance are not the way to gain the Canadian peoples trust. This song and dance just doesn't cut it with Canadians anymore.

Well it will be a good way to waste millions of dollars get rid of that buffoon the Liberals have for a leader. He'll be gone once the election is lost. Why not just fire the idiot and save a bunch time and dough?

Watch and see what your Natural Governing Party loses if it shoves an election down the Canadian public throat. There will be a majority, but it won't be a Liberal majority.

You have to agree that the Conservative party loves war and Libya is Harper's Iraq and you would have to agree that as our warplanes gets shot down more Canada's war machine will get expanded more to that reason that if the Conservatives get a majority or stay as a minority leader.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You have to agree that the Conservative party loves war and Libya is Harper's Iraq...
really?

What has been allocated and deployed to the region?

...and you would have to agree that as our warplanes gets shot down more Canada's war machine will get expanded more to that reason that if the Conservatives get a majority or stay as a minority leader.
Huh?