Solving Canada's Problems

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
As a fire officer, service tech and one with extensive management of complex systems, I find there is little if any effective problem solving in our political arena. Disjoint incremental approach to problem solving seems to be the strategy of the day and it is causing far more problems than it solving. So, I got to thinking....what if we used a proven proper and effective problem solving technique (like the incident command P-POST system) and see how it pans out. For those not familiar with the anachronism, P-POST stands for Problem - Priorities, Objectives, Strategies, Tactics. When a problem arises (and it is determined what the actual problem is) the first step to note the priorities. This, I believe, is our biggest problem in Canada. We have no big picture priorities. These priorities are an essential part of the process as they are what is used to set objectives and develop strategies and most importantly, they don't change. I've been thinking about it for a while and given that Canada is a democracy, the country's priorities should be something that the majority can agree on. Remember, these are big picture goals and they shouldn't be contradictory. So, let me know what you think.

Some of my priorities:

Equality of all citizens
Bottom up approach to governance
Value for taxes

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As a fire officer, service tech and one with extensive management of complex systems, I find there is little if any effective problem solving in our political arena. Disjoint incremental approach to problem solving seems to be the strategy of the day and it is causing far more problems than it solving. So, I got to thinking....what if we used a proven proper and effective problem solving technique (like the incident command P-POST system) and see how it pans out. For those not familiar with the anachronism, P-POST stands for Problem - Priorities, Objectives, Strategies, Tactics. When a problem arises (and it is determined what the actual problem is) the first step to note the priorities. This, I believe, is our biggest problem in Canada. We have no big picture priorities. These priorities are an essential part of the process as they are what is used to set objectives and develop strategies and most importantly, they don't change. I've been thinking about it for a while and given that Canada is a democracy, the country's priorities should be something that the majority can agree on. Remember, these are big picture goals and they shouldn't be contradictory. So, let me know what you think.
Good idea. Another would be to implement LEAN manufacturing, which could be applied to gov't services, as a product, and in all levels of gov't bureaucracy.

Equality of all citizens
Could you clarify this for me? It would seem to be contradictory to your generalized views, and lumping of all First Nations people, or as you refer to them "leeches at the gov't tit"into one common erroneous notion, where the law should only protect the legal rights of non Natives and the legal findings that protect Natives are, in your opinion, wrong. Compounded by a less then limited understanding of or knowledge of any treaty or history thereof. Which of course isn't really equality for all citizens, unless you are prone to moral relativism and not logical consistency.
Bottom up approach to governance
Sounds interesting, can you expand on that?
Value for taxes
Now there's something I can throw my full support behind, and a something LEAN manufacturing would help attain.

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Could you clarify this for me? It would seem to be contradictory to your generalized views, and lumping of all First Nations people into one common erroneous notion, where the law should only protect the legal rights of non Natives and the legal findings that protect Natives are, in your opinion, wrong.

It's not contradictory to my generalized view. I'm lumping all first nations people in with Canadians. If they don't want to be Canadians then their equality and legal right within Canada is irrelevant.

Sounds interesting, can you expand on that?

No, I have no interest in discussing this with you any further given your comment, "Compounded by a less then limited understanding of or knowledge of any treaty or history thereof" it's pretty clear you aren't really interested in discussion and instead want to play more of your silly games. Raise the maturity level a tad and then i might be inclined to answer more of your questions.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada

Some of my priorities:
s
It's pretty obvious your paid by the Government, can't get a job done unless you have a process to follow.

Why don't you tell the Libs, Iggy, that he should follow the P- POST approach If he wants to get elected. During the election campain he can tell everybody he is following the P-POST approach in governing this country. That should get him elected !! Lol !!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's not contradictory to my generalized view. I'm lumping all first nations people in with Canadians. If they don't want to be Canadians then their equality and legal right within Canada is irrelevant.
I beg to differ. The very basis of the comment that their equality and legal right within Canada is irrelevant . Only strengths my opinion that you do not support equality. The Crown is subject to equally applying the law to its citizen and people with whom they have binding contracts, or there is no equality.

No, I have no interest in discussing this with you any further given your comment, "Compounded by a less then limited understanding of or knowledge of any treaty or history thereof" it's pretty clear you aren't really interested in discussion and instead want to play more of your silly games.
That is a statement of fact, as exampled by our previous discussions and highlighted in you continued belief all First Nation are one in the same. The only thing I can take from your apparent distress, is that the truth hurts.

Besides that, wouldn't your erroneous argument that my perceived generalization of Muslims, is wrong. While you generalize all Natives, be a logical inconsistency?

Raise the maturity level a tad and then i might be inclined to answer more of your questions.
The fact that you call my maturity in to question, when I simply put forward polite opinion and facts, only shows that it isn't I that has the maturity problem Cannuck. Isn't that tantamount to challenging someones cognitive or comprehension skills? Wouldn't that be a logical inconsistency on your part? Those are rhetorical questions Cannuck, I already know the answers are yes and yes.

But I digress, if you aren't up to a mature discussion, and haven't the ability to adequately defend your position, then I bid good day and you can have a private pity party.

I wait for someone else whose posts contain a measure of maturity and fortitude to carry on this discussion with.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Why don't you tell the Libs, Iggy, that he should follow the P- POST approach If he wants to get elected.

They already do. The problem is that their "priority" is getting elected and not governing the country. As for "working for the government" systems analysis and management have nothing to do with the public or private sector and everything to do with increasing complexities of the systems we manage (well, at least the systems I manage....I have no idea what you do)

disjointed incrementalism: Definition from Answers.com

I wait for someone else whose posts contain a measure of maturity and fortitude to carry on this discussion with.

Bu-bye. Thanks for coming

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I can think of a great example of something that disappoints me as a Canadian.

The wife an I want to build a new house on the farm and leave the city for good so we've been looking at various floor plans, materials, and building techniques such as modular and interlocking log.

Odds are high that our end choice is a Finnish design using Russian pine milled and packed into a seacan in beautiful Changzhou.

They already do. The problem is that their "priority" is getting elected and not governing the country.
The TV show called Canada. Thanks for tuning in.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No need to thank me Cannuck. I enjoy pointing out peoples lack of knowledge on subjects they write blowhard posts about, ripe with logical inconsistencies and bigoted generalizations.

I find it entertaining.

I can think of a great example of something that disappoints me as a Canadian.

The wife an I want to build a new house on the farm and leave the city for good so we've been looking at various floor plans, materials, and building techniques such as modular and interlocking log.

Odds are high that our end choice is a Finnish design using Russian pine milled and packed into a seacan in beautiful Changzhou.
Are there no modular home manufactures in Canada Petros?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are there no modular home manufactures in Canada Petros?
We toured a factory in Steinbach MB and all I can say is they can keep their OSB and drywall. We'll take the Finnish/Russian/Chinese 15mm solid log for $66K less on a 2400sqft home.

I may love my country but I'm not financially stupid.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We toured a factory in Steinbach MB and all I can say is they can keep their OSB and drywall. We'll take the Finnish/Russian/Chinese 15mm solid log for $66K less on a 2400sqft home.
So let me get this straight...

You can order a prefab log home from around the world and get it for $66K less?

Are there no duties on that?

How can a timber resource Nation like Canada not be competitive in this market?

I may love my country but I'm not financially stupid.
I wouldn't fault you for it.

of course there are, but petros doesn't like anything about Canada.
I don't get that impression Gh. I do however get the impression he has no love for the powers that be. No matter the stripe.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Yeah but, they probably not using the P-POST method !!! Lol. !!

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Bad enough to have two governments and two bureaucracies in each province, I say we shut down Ottawa. Shutting down the Federal Government has worked well in Belgium.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Bad enough to have two governments and two bureaucracies in each province, I say we shut down Ottawa. Shutting down the Federal Government has worked well in Belgium.

I don't mind the idea of a weaker national government but I think that would fall under objectives or strategies. I think the priority would or could be a government more responsive to individual needs. A strong federal government may or may not be able to do that.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
A true politician in the making, how to use so many words, while saying nothing at all.

Gov't service suits you.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
So true, if only we could send the no-platform politicians back to the states. That means Ignatieff and Harper