Such Right Wing Arrogance.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
A liar and a sneak! This of course came directly from you know who!

Bruce Campion-Smith
Ottawa Bureau chief

OTTAWA—International Cooperation Minister Bev Oda faces a fight for her political life as opposition MPs get set to call for her resignation in the wake of her admission that she ordered a government document to be doctored.

Oda is certain to face tough questions and likely calls for her to step down – in question period Tuesday after her bombshell revelation Monday that she had ordered a document changed to deny funding to the church-based group Kairos.

Liberal MP Bob Rae set the stage for the resignation call Tuesday morning, declaring that Oda had lost his party’s support.

“Ms. Oda doesn’t have my confidence in terms of our ability to believe what she has to say,” Rae told a news conference.

Her decision to doctor a government document and then mislead opposition MPs about it speaks to the “morality” of the Conservative government, Rae said.

“It’s not a process issue. It’s an issue about the character of this government . . . it’s about a government which has great difficulty telling the truth, it’s about a government which conceals information and hides facts and it’s about a government which then proceeds to make up stories and spin and twist when they get caught,” Rae said.

Oda revealed Monday that she was behind the mysterious “not” that was handwritten on a government document that ended funding for Kairos.

“The funding decision was mine. The ‘not’ was inserted at my direction,” Oda said in a surprise statement in the Commons Monday.

That was a direct contradiction of what she told a Commons committee in December when she claimed not to know who had altered the department document.

Yet the ‘not’ was inserted after two senior officials at the Canadian International Development Agency had already signed the document, making it appear like they endorsed the decision to deny Kairos any funding.

In fact, CIDA had recommended that Kairos get funding worth about $7 million over four years.

If Oda disagreed with the advice from the bureaucracy, she should have sent back the recommendation, rather than making a sneaky attempt to reverse the funding, Rae said.

“It’s an absolutely unacceptable, absurd way to run a government. It’s just wrong,” Rae said.

It’s still not known who was responsible for penning the word ‘not’ on the form though Rae charged that it was done with the knowledge – perhaps the insistence – of the Prime Minister’s office.

“Minister Oda could not have made this decision by herself. She could not have done what she did without instructions from the Prime Minister’s Office and for all we know, from the Prime Minister himself,” he said.

Rae downplayed questions whether Oda may have broken the law, saying it’s more a question for Parliament to decide whether she knowingly misled MPs.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yeah, Oda needs to fall on her sword.

Other than her basic dishonesty in denying she had done this, I don't see a big problem.....so out she goes. Problem done.

KAIROS gets no money in any circumstance.

That is a good thing.

BTW, no benefit went to Oda personally, to the Conservative Party, or to the government.

This was not corruption, just momentary stupidity, then unacceptable dishonesty.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Yes we have someone in authority that did something wrong, and they alone should be held
accountable. I don't particularly care for the Conservative Government in government at the
moment but how can one claim they are all guilty of this? I am sure Harper, although I can't
stand him, would not have gone along with this if he knew about it.
Then there is the whole scandal regarding the Quebec from the previous government. This
is not a tempest in a teapot, it is a serious matter and the minister in question should resign.

The inherent problem with the political system today is that we paint entire parties for the
actions committed by a few, just like I did above because that is the perception people have
today, if one is guilty they all are guilty. This is as bad as what the minister did. We have to
look at events objectively as citizens in order to be informed. Reality is required when forming
an opinion whether we like it or not. I am hoping the Tories do not win a majority government
next time around, in fact it wouldn't bother me if they lost the election coming. The truth is
however I wouldn't like them to lose over an issue like this as they are not all arrogant or in
fact guilty of anything improper and that is important to note.
People getting all fired up with self righteous superiority is every bit as bad as arrogance and
we should keep objectivity in mind when determining the seriousness of an offence and the
punishment that should be handed down. We must make decisions on facts not emotions
alone.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Yeah, Oda needs to fall on her sword.

Other than her basic dishonesty in denying she had done this, I don't see a big problem.....so out she goes. Problem done.

Umm, I do see a bit of an issue with modifying a document after it's been signed. If you don't, can I borrow your mortgage papers for a few minutes?

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
There was a conservative spokesman on CBC this morning saying she should be given some slack because she apologized for her actions. I'm sorry, an apology is not good enough. When are these cronies going to be held accountable for their indiscretions, oversights and outright crime? Forging government documents would get you or I a short stay in the big house. But not these criminals.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Umm, I do see a bit of an issue with modifying a document after it's been signed. If you don't, can I borrow your mortgage papers for a few minutes?

Absolutely. Poor choice of words on my part....

She does, as I indicated, need to resign.

There was a conservative spokesman on CBC this morning saying she should be given some slack because she apologized for her actions. I'm sorry, an apology is not good enough. When are these cronies going to be held accountable for their indiscretions, oversights and outright crime? Forging government documents would get you or I a short stay in the big house. But not these criminals.

I agree, an apology doesn't cut it here.

She needs a spanking........out of cabinet.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Yep, she needs the boot right away, not only has she admitted to altering a document, but also lying to Parliament. That should get her kicked out of the House as well.

centristparty

Feb 12, 2011
This is further proof that the Conservatives are being dictated everything by the PMO and Stephen Harper's government. He wants to make sure nothing can go wrong right now but when things start to get bad with his government he will take action and it will seem like he has everything under control. The current Conservatives are a very corrupt bunch. This is why we need a centre to centre-right party resembling the old Progressive Conservatives.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Who did the lie help I wonder? Was Palestinian aid affected?

Actually, DB, you are quite close. KAIROS is a bunch of morons that support the boycott, divestment, and sanctions campaign against Israel........and so was (rightfully) denied funding.

However, Oda's lying to Parliament, as well as her changing a signed document, was beyond the Pale, and she needs to resign, forthwith.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
When you lie to Parliament you are done, Parliament is really the definition of the people of
Canada in the most formal way. It does not matter whether the cause was good or bad as
the all party committee already decided the issue when that happens you go with the
majority, its called democracy in the strictest sense.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
''Oda needs to fall on her sword.''

Good idea for a few other conservatives as well.

;)

Depends. If their swords were made in China they would probably bend. Then us long suffering taxpayers would have to foot their medical bills as well as an undeserved pension.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
This was not corruption, just momentary stupidity, then unacceptable dishonesty.

Momentary Stupidity and Unacceptable Dishonesty sounds a lot like corruption to me..... whether it was done on purpose (which it was) or by accident..... the covering up of what truly happened and then denying any involvement or knowledge about the situation is a form of corruption.

Now don't jump me yet, I'm not making the claim that the entire Conservative party is corrupt because of this situation. The evidence only shows that she was corrupt..... she was just part of the Conservative party.

Though my personal belief that the Conservative party is corrupt remains true, that's most due to a long list of previous actions and decisions...... this just sorta adds to the pile of isolated incidents amongst many others the party or members of that party have been involved in.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Momentary Stupidity and Unacceptable Dishonesty sounds a lot like corruption to me..... whether it was done on purpose (which it was) or by accident..... the covering up of what truly happened and then denying any involvement or knowledge about the situation is a form of corruption.

Corruption would demand that someone profited from the action.....no one did.

It was a stupid, ignorant, unacceptable thing to do.....and then lying about it was so much worse.

She needs to be booted out of cabinet.........if she doesn't resign.

She should (for a change) do the honourable thing.

We aren't in disagreement on this one.