Would you support this military model for Canada?

Would you support the military model presented in the OP?

• Yes, at least in principle.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No.

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
(Bearing in mind this would require provincial-federal collaboration owing to jurisdictional divisions):

1. All children would be required to learn a martial art in elementary and secondary school, even if only a simplified form such a 24-form tai chi chuan for example.

2. The professional military would consist of trainers only,

3. All able-bodied and able-minded citizens having reached the age of majority who want to join would have the right to join the militia as a permanent part-time soldier,

4. Each soldier would be free to choose whether to keep his assault rifle at home or at a local depository when not in use.

I voted 'other answer' myself. Though I did create the poll, I'll admit that even I am not sure it would be a good idea, though I do see some advantages in it too.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
What about the army bureaucrats? Most of them would be upset about losing their jobs and would arrange an "accident" (those roads are so dangerous in the winter...) for a politician who recommended the idea.

Regardless, being a non-conscripted body with minimal to no compensation, I can only see Albertan hicks signing up and I don't see Liberals being comfortable about handing military training over to farmers.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What about the army bureaucrats? Most of them would be upset about losing their jobs and would arrange an "accident" (those roads are so dangerous in the winter...) for a politician who recommended the idea.

Regardless, being a non-conscripted body with minimal to no compensation, I can only see Albertan hicks signing up and I don't see Liberals being comfortable about handing military training over to farmers.

That's why I'd said military trainers would be an exception, a full-time professional force. You are right about the rest of the military though; for the most part it probably would be many Albertans.

The good news though is that while they'd have personal weapons, they would have more limited access to more powerful weapons and the ability to transport them and the army across the globe. So while they could defend they're own land, they'd be no threat to other countries. Well, if some of them happen to be Zionists I suppose they could always join the IDF as mercenaries too if they wanted to.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That's why I'd said military trainers would be an exception, a full-time professional force. You are right about the rest of the military though; for the most part it probably would be many Albertans.

The good news though is that while they'd have personal weapons, they would have more limited access to more powerful weapons and the ability to transport them and the army across the globe. So while they could defend they're own land, they'd be no threat to other countries. Well, if some of them happen to be Zionists I suppose they could always join the IDF as mercenaries too if they wanted to.

You are wrong as to who would form the greater part of your army. I believe it would be maritimers as the current armed forces are. Same reason:There are few good paying jobs in that area that have the benefits the army provides. For twenty years of being paid well and seeing the world if they choose they get a pension that permits them to move back home and live on what Wallywirld pays.

I'd go along with the martial arts program.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I don't agree with anything that teaches our children state sanctioned violence. You want to teach your children the top 10 ways to kill a person, go for it, but don't be forcing me to have to do the same thing.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think another exemption to the full-time professional force could be UN peacekeepers. Of course no one would have a right to join the professional force and they'd still have to meet the highest standards for that just as they do now. Only the reserve force would guarantee you a job (as long as you demonstrate a decent level of competence of course), albeit part-time.

I don't agree with anything that teaches our children state sanctioned violence. You want to teach your children the top 10 ways to kill a person, go for it, but don't be forcing me to have to do the same thing.

Then another solution would be not to make martial arts instruction compulsory in elementary and secondary school, but rather simply make it obligatory for schools to at least offer it as an alternative to traditional PE for interested students.

Certain martial arts by the way have other benefits besides just fighting. Karate Kata are a beautiful aesthetic art form in their own right, as are tai chi forms, and I'm sure other martial arts have similar. I've seen kata and tai chi forms performed to music on stage, and they are beautiful just like dancing. The martial aspect is an added bonus. Believe me, if the sole benefit of a martial art as martial, I wouldn't be so much for it, but since it also have health, fitness, theatrical/artistic and other benefits too, the martial aspect is just an added bonus.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Certain martial arts by the way have other benefits besides just fighting. Karate Kata are a beautiful aesthetic art form in their own right, as are tai chi forms, and I'm sure other martial arts have similar. I've seen kata and tai chi forms performed to music on stage, and they are beautiful just like dancing. The martial aspect is an added bonus. Believe me, if the sole benefit of a martial art as martial, I wouldn't be so much for it, but since it also have health, fitness, theatrical/artistic and other benefits too, the martial aspect is just an added bonus.

So, teaching kids to kill is an added bonus. You are one sick son of a bitch.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So, teaching kids to kill is an added bonus. You are one sick son of a bitch.

Also, martial arts teach self-defense techniques other than killing too, such as deflecting, disarming an opponent, grappling, restraining an opponent, etc. depending on the martial art. So in fact a skilled martial artist might even have more options at his disposal than an average person in defending himself. Whereas the average person might have no choice but to simply use lethal force, the martial artist may have the confidence to simply restrain and arrest the person. Never thought of that, did you.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
My observation is that in general children become less prone to fighting when they take karate lessons. They tend to become more disciplined and respectful. However martial arts and entering the military isn't appropriate for everyone.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
My observation is that in general children become less prone to fighting when they take karate lessons. They tend to become more disciplined and respectful. However martial arts and entering the military isn't appropriate for everyone.

As for joining the military, I could see voluntary service, but guaranteed for anyone who is reasonably confident. Though I realize that the reserves would only provide part-time work, it's still better than nothing, especially for the unemployed. It could also be a way to gain job training. Not very efficient, but it would be a way for them to serve their country.

As for martial arts, you may be right there too, but making it merely available at school would still be a plus in my opinion.

Glenfilthie

Time Out
Feb 15, 2011
I do not see the merit in part time soldiers myself. The battlefield is no place for part timers, peaceniks or unmotivated flakes. The military needs well trained men and women that are 100% committed to their mission and their peers. If your military is ever confronted with a real threat, the flower children and greasy hippies that get forced into your program will only endanger themselves or others.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I do not see the merit in part time soldiers myself. The battlefield is no place for part timers, peaceniks or unmotivated flakes. The military needs well trained men and women that are 100% committed to their mission and their peers. If your military is ever confronted with a real threat, the flower children and greasy hippies that get forced into your program will only endanger themselves or others.

My guess is that even the hippies and flower children would be prepared to take up arms if their own national homeland were being invaded. When the Japanese were pillaging China, I'm sure many pacifists quickly changed their minds. In WWII too some pacifists did in fact support that particular war. I think it has to do with the threat level.

In a real threat, I think the only ones who would still refuse to pick up arms for the most part would be those refusing to do so based on some religious conviction or other.

Glenfilthie

Time Out
Feb 15, 2011
Sorry Wolf.

Peaceniks. Flakes. Dippers. Liberals. Pick your poison. People like these betrayed the military service man in Viet Nam, just as guys like Taliban Jack are doing today to our squaddies in Afghanistan. Same crud, different pile I guess. The sixties are alive and well in that crowd, let me assure you.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Sorry Wolf.

Peaceniks. Flakes. Dippers. Liberals. Pick your poison. People like these betrayed the military service man in Viet Nam, just as guys like Taliban Jack are doing today to our squaddies in Afghanistan. Same crud, different pile I guess. The sixties are alive and well in that crowd, let me assure you.

Hmmm... just to point out an obvious flaw in your argument. The Swiss Army is not designed to fight abroad. It's designed to fight on home soil. Quite possibly even Jack Layton would be ready to take up arms against an invasion of home soil. The two just don't compare. The Taliban do not have carrier fleets after all.

By the way, someone voted yes in the poll. I'd be curious to know who that was, since it would seem he's more confident of the idea than even I am. I'd voted other answer since I was throwing it out more as an idea to be discussed, not so much one I'm 100% behind. I'd be curious to know, for the one who'd voted yes, what made you vote yes there. What are your arguments? Just curious.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sorry Wolf.

Ahh, I see ... but I'm still not assured. Funny how "let me assure you" does that, eh?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Ahh, I see ... but I'm still not assured. Funny how "let me assure you" does that, eh?
If it was snake-oil he was trying to sell he would have used 'Trust me' ... therefore it must be legit ...

sorry no actual references to any of the above so try an incorporate 'sand' into the 'castle' title somewhere... trust me, it's like that IRS code or our constitutional vote, trust me we might not be able to 'find it exactly' but it's there so move along sheeple, .... I mean citizens group ,947352667.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
We need to mass develop the north and buy those jets already if you ask me! We don't have to worry about man power, we need gear baby!!! And we need to fortify the north, display our might and ownership to those countries you have eyes on our region! To arms!

Train school children...

uh...yeah...

I think my vision is a lot, let's say practical and cooler.