A spring federal election seems very likely

If an election occurs, how will you vote?

• Conservative

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Liberal

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • NDP

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Bloc Quebecois

• Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Undecided

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

shelphs

Jan 19, 2011
[FONT=&quot]YouTube - Election Watch

[/FONT]If Canadians are to be asked to go to the polls, what will be the issues? Economy and taxes (corporate tax cuts), environment and climate change, Afghanistan, education, …?

What is more effective, not necessarily for you personally, but for the masses, attack ads or televised debates?
[FONT=&quot]The last election in 2008 resulted in the poorest voter turnout in Canadian history. Does this concern you? How can those who didn’t vote in the last election be enticed to do so in the next one? What would encourage non-voters to vote?[/FONT]

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I think what would encourage non-voters to vote would be to make voting quasi-mandatory. ''Quasi'' because, not voting would mean losing all social benefits such as health care and income tax refunds etc. In other words, you'd be allowed not to vote, but you'd lose so much that nearly everybody would vote. People would be allowed to spoil their ballot if they desire to do so, but they would still have to make the effort to move their ass and go scribble on that little paper called a voting ballot.

That may sound drastic but perhaps this is what people need to stop taking their democracy for granted.

A less drastic measure would be a simple 100$ penalty on income tax for not voting. I'm sure just that would do the trick.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I heard Harper speak on the radio yesterday and he summed up three important plans- 1. No increase in taxes 2. Reducing spending and 3. Pay down the debt. Sounds good to me.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yep.....an election is nigh.

The Liberals will run an anti-Conservative campaign, concentrating on the F-35 purchase and corporate tax cuts, complaining about the deficit, and playing on suspicions of Harper's "far-right hidden agenda", including illegalizing abortion and bringing back capital punishment.

The F-35 deal, the deficit, and Conservative corporate tax cuts will probably resonate with voters......I hope the "agenda" does not, as it is complete BS.

The Conservatives will run on the (very real) threat of a coalition that includes the Bloc, and on cutting subsidies to the political parties, and their record.....they will demonize Ignatieff as nothing more than a visiting professor, and an out-of-touch egghead (and they'll be right)

The NDP will run on whatever idiot policy Jack coughs up next.....full time day-care for Taliban members, a ban on sharpened pencils, public slapping of Rabbis on Easter, and priests at Ramadan, .....really, who cares???

BTW, I do not believe in any coercive measures to force folks to vote. Not voting is a statement in itself; "None of the Above".

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
BTW, I do not believe in any coercive measures to force folks to vote. Not voting is a statement in itself; "None of the Above".

Or, it's not a disapproval of the options, but of the electoral system itself.

I am guessing this will be Ignatieff's final hurrah! And quite possibly Harper's should he not deliver a majority.

I think that's a good possibility.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Or, it's not a disapproval of the options, but of the electoral system itself.

Or, and most often (I believe) it is ignorance, laziness, and apathy disguised as alienation.

To be frank, I don't want those people voting!

Not worried about a Bloc-inclusive coalition?

Neither is Gilles Duceppe

<H1 class=npStoryTitle>Bloc support for Harper will cost $5B, Duceppe says
Chris Wattie/Reuters

Bloc Quebecois leader Gilles Duceppe: Give us the money or else.

Kevin Dougherty, Postmedia News · Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2011
QUEBEC — The Bloc Quebecois, with 47 seats in the House of Commons, has announced its price for supporting the Conservative minority government’s new budget: The BQ wants $5-billion for Quebec, including $2.2-billion to compensate the province for harmonizing its provincial sales tax with the federal goods and services tax.
</H1>
All Together now:

KISS MY ARSE!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
While I believe all Canadians should vote I don't think they should forced to do so.

More Canadians would vote if politics in Canada was more interesting, but it gets pretty boring when the scenario is generally Candidate 1= Lie, steal, cheat, Candidate 2= Steal cheat lie, candidate 3= cheat, steal, lie and candidate 4= steal, lie, cheat. :smile:

I am guessing this will be Ignatieff's final hurrah! And quite possibly Harper's should he not deliver a majority.

Did he ever have a "first hurrah"?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think what would encourage non-voters to vote would be to make voting quasi-mandatory. ''Quasi'' because, not voting would mean losing all social benefits such as health care and income tax refunds etc. In other words, you'd be allowed not to vote, but you'd lose so much that nearly everybody would vote. People would be allowed to spoil their ballot if they desire to do so, but they would still have to make the effort to move their ass and go scribble on that little paper called a voting ballot.

That may sound drastic but perhaps this is what people need to stop taking their democracy for granted.

A less drastic measure would be a simple 100$ penalty on income tax for not voting. I'm sure just that would do the trick.

But do you really want a non-voter totally out of tune with what's going on voting? The best favour they can do us is stay at home. If you don't know what it's all about, please don't come out to vote.

I heard Harper speak on the radio yesterday and he summed up three important plans- 1. No increase in taxes 2. Reducing spending and 3. Pay down the debt. Sounds good to me.

Sounds good, but in the wrong order, and that's what worries me. I would have put it this way:

1. Reducing spending,
2. Pay down the debt, and
3. No increase in taxes.

It might come across as the same on the surface, and I'm sure many will look at it and think it's just the same list in a different order. There is a subtle difference however, and I'll explain it below:

Let's suppose he gets another minority next election, and the opposition pushes him to raise spending on some front or other, or some other event or combination of events (in this case even if he has a majority) such as a series of natural disasters, war, etc. should put some new pressure on the budget and something has to give, then according to the first list, he'd sacrifice the debt first, reducing spending being the next sacrifice, and not raising taxes being the last one. In other words, in such a non-ideal scenario, he'd abandon paying the debt and would raise spending, but without raising taxes, meaning more debt, inflation, etc.

Re-ordering the priorities gives us different results. As per the new order I gave it, in the event of such less than ideal surprise scenarios:

He'd stand firm on paying off the debt, and would be more likely to raise taxes if necessary, thus ensuring, let's say there's another war, that we all make a sacrifice and not just the soldiers and the future generation.

I like his ideas, but they're all in the wrong order.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

The Liberals will run an anti-Conservative campaign, concentrating on the F-35 purchase and corporate tax cuts, complaining about the deficit, and playing on suspicions of Harper's "far-right hidden agenda", including illegalizing abortion and bringing back capital punishment.

The F-35 deal, the deficit, and Conservative corporate tax cuts will probably resonate with voters......I hope the "agenda" does not, as it is complete BS.

The Conservatives will run on the (very real) threat of a coalition that includes the Bloc, and on cutting subsidies to the political parties, and their record.....they will demonize Ignatieff as nothing more than a visiting professor, and an out-of-touch egghead (and they'll be right)

The NDP will run on whatever idiot policy Jack coughs up next.....full time day-care for Taliban members, a ban on sharpened pencils, public slapping of Rabbis on Easter, and priests at Ramadan, .....really, who cares???

I laugh every time I see the latest anti-Harper attack ads, Colpy - out loud too. At the same time, I wonder just how stupid those PR people think we are. Canadians have come a long way and I would suggest they have a much better understanding of just what is necesssary and what is not. Tax cuts for corporations that bring business to our country and create jobs is a good thing IMHO. Yep, keep those stupid mindless ads coming opposition and us informed knowledgeable Canadians will happily go to the polls to vote for the Conservatives.

I also refuse to support mandatory voting. If folks don't care enough about our country to get out and vote, forcing them to do so will not make them any more patriotic.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I can not for the life of me see whether a person votes or not being an issue. In a true Democracy a person should have the right to vote or Not. What possible good could a bunch of uninformed people do by voting? Isn't our gov't. f****d up enough with informed people voting? :lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

While I certainly agree that we need to pay off our debt before we worry about F-35 purchases and corporate tax cuts, making a negative add out of it would merely be saying that the opposition has nothing better to propose. If Ignatieff were smart, he'd run a positive campaign not attacking the Conservatives for wanting to spend and cut taxes, but rather on how the Liberals would reduce spending and pay the debt first before any talk of tax cuts.

I don't know. On the one hand, I am pro-life and in favour of capital punishment for certain crimes. I'm also in favour of small government. On those fronts, I'd lean more towards Harper.

However, I don't know if he'd go too far with capital punishment laws, and also believe that we ought to reduce spending before worrying about tax cuts or promising no tax increase. I think he goes too far on the tax front, leading to government overspending its budget and thus growing the debt. If you can't reduce spending, then shut up about cutting taxes or promising no tax cuts. In fact, if you can't reduce spending, tax increases would be a wise move. Overall, I get the impression that Harper and many other Conservatives are just as big-government as their opposition counterparts, but just in a different way, mostly towards the military.

Well, we've seen how the proposed coalition reacted to the recession: bail out all the corporate big-wigs. Hell, I was surprised even the 'anti-corporatist' NDP jumped aboard that bandwagon, but then again, so did the Conservatives (they did have the option of ignoring the opposition after all, but they too succombed to corporate interests).

But again, if the Conservatives also run not on the good things they'll do but rather the bad things the opposition does, it won't make them any better.

My way of voting none of the above is to hand in a blank ballot, which I've done once. I've always showed up to vote though. But I agree 100% no one should be coerced into voting.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm going to start a campaign to "X" all of the ballot. A majority protest vote would force the Bozos in Ottawa to rethink and redesign the whole system. A no vote is just apathy but an "X" vote is a protest they might understand.

Oh, and I repeat, a Harper majority would be the ultimate disaster for Canada. That sneaky, secretive, controlling little peckerhead will show his true colours and they will mostly be black. If we have to put up with him for any more time, I hope it is with a minority.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm going to start a campaign to "X" all of the ballot. A majority protest vote would force the Bozos in Ottawa to rethink and redesign the whole system. A no vote is just apathy but an "X" vote is a protest they might understand.

Oh, and I repeat, a Harper majority would be the ultimate disaster for Canada. That sneaky, secretive, controlling little peckerhead will show his true colours and they will mostly be black. If we have to put up with him for any more time, I hope it is with a minority.

While I do vote candidate, with the local Conservative MP in my riding being a real bobbing head, he might as well just be a Harper clone. I do agree though that while I tend to agree with many conservative ideas, the Conservative Brand really does worry me. It's certainly not traditional conservative, but rather a much more nationalist, militarist, and dare I say imperialist form of conservatism. I think many of the traditional Tories have likely gone to the Green or some to the Liberal parties for the most part, with maybe a few going independent. The so-called 'Conservative Party' of today seems to have gone a little loopy. There may be a few Conservatives I'd vote for, but certainly not my current MP.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Methinks there's a fallacy there Cliff- the "Bozos" you are trying to send the message to, you probably wouldn't want rethinking or redesigning anything. I'm not sure how good or bad Harper is but I'd sure take a chance with him before Ignatieff. He has cut taxes and at least made a token effort on getting tough on crime.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Methinks there's a fallacy there Cliff- the "Bozos" you are trying to send the message to, you probably wouldn't want rethinking or redesigning anything. I'm not sure how good or bad Harper is but I'd sure take a chance with him before Ignatieff. He has cut taxes and at least made a token effort on getting tough on crime.

And he'd also brought back deficit spending. Tax cuts are not a panacea. That said, I don't know how the other party leaders would fare either. The Liberals had balanced the budget under Martin, but then again, the Liberals of today do not necessarily comprise the same members. As for the NDP, it would not shy away from raising taxes, which could be a good thing to pay off the deficit. The question though is whether they'd also cut spending too, or at least hold it to where it is now. The current government has in fact expanded the bureaucracy. Come on!

So whom to vote for? Looking at the poor party track records, as per usual I'll just have to consider my local candidate and ignore the party. The only potential source of sanity left in our political system.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
He has cut taxes
And increased spending. In 2005-6, program spending was 12.8% of GDP, and in 2009-10 it is up to 16%. Meanwhile, government revenue went from 16.2% of GDP in 2005-6, to 14.3% of GDP in 2009-10.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I guess the things that concern me most, in no particular order here, are:

1. reduce government spending if possible,
2. pay off the federal debt,
3. Keep inflation and the Bank rate down,
4. Make it harder for people to borrow money they can't afford,
5. Break down trade barriers to help promote a more efficient global market place,
6. Promote freer labour movement agreements with other countries, especially the US, so as to help the unemployed on both sides of the border find work, and try to establish common educational standards for various trades and professions so as to make our labour force more mobile across our common borders,
7. Have an educational action plan for the next recession, possibly some kind of school voucher programme for the unemployed. In the meantime though, the primary goal ought to be to pay off the debt, reduce government spending, and build up a rainy-day fund.
8. Introduce value-added (i.e. not make-work) prison labour.

These would be some of my concerns.