I want to be an MP. What do I do?

TheAstonMartian

Jan 24, 2011
Hi!

I currently live in Calgary, Alberta, and want to be a Member of Parliament. I am a 20 year old Canadian Citizen from Bangladeshi origins, and want to represent the citizens of Canada. I am not really sure how to start out though.

I know that the Prime Minister is responsible for representing the Canada, but I want to be a part of the bench. Politically, I am a moderate, and don't see a huge difference between the Liberals and Conservatives. I am new so I have a lot to learn. I will work hard to secure a position. Where do I start though at this point?

My main concern right now is the medical system in Canada, and the lack of doctors. That is one issue I want to raise.

Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hi!

I currently live in Calgary, Alberta, and want to be a Member of Parliament. I am a 20 year old Canadian Citizen from Bangladeshi origins, and want to represent the citizens of Canada. I am not really sure how to start out though.

I know that the Prime Minister is responsible for representing the Canada, but I want to be a part of the bench. Politically, I am a moderate, and don't see a huge difference between the Liberals and Conservatives. I am new so I have a lot to learn. I will work hard to secure a position. Where do I start though at this point?

My main concern right now is the medical system in Canada, and the lack of doctors. That is one issue I want to raise.

Go see a shrink and have your sanity certified.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Hi!

Start by joining a party and then learn the ropes. At 20 years-old you will need some life and political experience, so I would recommend finding an MP with whom you share common values and see if there is a way to serve.

It takes work and dedication to become an MP, but most of all time. They just don't hand that job over to anyone, or half the members on this board would be running the Country (into the ground likely).

Good luck.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Once your sanity has been established and you are still sure you want to proceed, I think the key word is slowly. We've all seen "Johnny Come Latelies" who think they are going to "change the world" just to suffer a major flop. Make your goal to begin with, to improve things by 1%. Do you have a party in mind? (I think they are all equally corrupt so it probably doesn't matter much) The other suggestion of endearing yourself with another M.P. with similar interests is a good one, although it might mean "locking" yourself in with that party. Actually parties mean VERY little these days as you will soon find out (the main platform being to enrich yourself first and the country second). Good luck to you- we badly need intelligent and sincere people at the Ottawa trough.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
You have first to be approved for corporate donations, you have second to espouse the internationalist line, and thirdly you have to be compromised by audio/video so your handlers are convinced that you won't go soft and actually help the people.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

A quote from an episode of classic British comedy series Blackadder the Third - "Dish and Dishonesty" (1987) - which is set in the Regency period of 200 years ago. Blackadder, butler to the incredibly thick Prince Regent (the future King George IV), comes up with a plan to make his incredibly thick and dim-witted dogsbody Baldrick an MP so that he can, if I remember rightly, attack the Prime Minister, William Pitt the Younger (who is played by a teenager to exaggerate just how young he really was!), who Blackadder doesn't like.

Just thinking about this hilarious scene makes me laugh.

Blackadder: Right. Now all we have to do is fill in this MP application form. Name: Baldrick. First name...?
Baldrick: Er, I'm not sure.
Blackadder: Well, you must have some idea...
Baldrick: Well, it might be Sod off.
Blackadder: What?
Baldrick: Well, when I used to play in the gutter, I used to say to the other snipes, "Hello, my name's Baldrick," and they'd say, "Yes, we know. Sod off, Baldrick."
Blackadder: All right, right right right right, Mr. S. Baldrick. Now, distinguishing features... None.
Baldrick: Well, I've got this big growth in the middle of my face.
Blackadder: That's your NOSE, Baldrick. Now, any history of insanity in the family? Tell you what, I'll cross out the "in". Any history of *sanity* in the family? None whatsoever. Now then, criminal record...
Baldrick: Absolutely not.
Blackadder: Oh, come on, Baldrick, you're going to be an MP, for God's sake! I'll just put fraud and sexual deviancy. Now; minimum bribe level...
Baldrick: One turnip. Oh, hang on, I don't want to price myself out of the market.
Blackadder: Baldrick, I've always been meaning to ask: Do you have any ambitions in life apart from the acquisition of turnips?
Baldrick: Er, no.
Blackadder: So what would you do if I gave you a thousand pounds?
Baldrick: I'd get a little turnip of my own.
Blackadder: So what would you do if I gave you a million pounds?
Baldrick: Oh, that's different. I'd get a great big turnip in the country.
Blackadder: [someone knocks at the door] Oh God, I'll get that. Here
[pushes paper to Baldrick]
Blackadder: , sign here.
[motions where with his hand, his flat palm facing upwards; Baldrick marks an 'X' on Edmund's palm; Edmund, not believing Baldrick's incredible stupidity, presses his palm against the application to mark the X onto it]

Last edited:

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Start by joining a party and then learn the ropes. At 20 years-old you will need some life and political experience, so I would recommend finding an MP with whom you share common values and see if there is a way to serve.

It takes work and dedication to become an MP, but most of all time. They just don't hand that job over to anyone, or half the members on this board would be running the Country (into the ground likely).

Good luck.

yeah that's what I was going to say..

you're way too young to have anyone who would potentially vote take you seriously. sorry but it's true!

they'd see a 20 yr old kid and they'd be like smirking and whispering "who does he think he is?"

you need to volunteer and do things for your community.. when you're about 15 years older then you should seriously think about it..

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Hi!

It goes without saying that you'll want to join a Party that shares common views with you.;)

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Learn how to lie and make false promises...
Learn to keep smiling and waving even though you don't feel like it...
Learn how to avoid answering the question...
Learn to privately insult other members without getting caught...
Attendance and participation at "Question Period" is mandatory for your continued success... all other times are optional
Learn to spend taxpayers money without guilt...
Accept the fact that you will be corrupted with power and money...
Accept the fact that your issues will not be resolved for years and years...
Accept the fact that people will hate you no matter if you are helping them or not...

If you can do the above, you are well on your way to becoming a politician.

TheAstonMartian

Jan 24, 2011
Hi!

While it is quite interesting to get many replies and I am thankful for it, I also believe that some were unnecessary. I did not say that I wanted to become a politician ASAP, but that I just wanted to know about the steps. I want to represent people weather it be in my community, or a certain area, but the issues that I want to resolve can benefit a lot of people from a lot of different places of Canada. I don't see why I would need therapy, or why JLM is being a pain about this.

I am sorry that in the politics section of CanadianContent forum, I get answers which are satirical, and not serious. A politician may be attributed with being a liar, a cheat, a fraud, etc. etc. but that's just your stereotype. The reason why Canadian democracy is benefiting so many people is because it works. However, for a democracy to work, we also look for other peoples opinions and their votes. Decisions may take time to get made, but we have already had a lot of concerns resolved. One is the universal health care which many take for granted.

yeah that's what I was going to say..

you're way too young to have anyone who would potentially vote take you seriously. sorry but it's true!

they'd see a 20 yr old kid and they'd be like smirking and whispering "who does he think he is?"

you need to volunteer and do things for your community.. when you're about 15 years older then you should seriously think about it..
How did Rahim Jaffer become an MP at age 25 then?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
TheAstonMartian;[B said:
My main concern right now is the medical system in Canada, and the lack of doctors.[/B] That is one issue I want to raise.

Actually you would impress me a little more if your main concern was the lack of responsibility people are willing to take for their own health, while we may need a few more doctors what we need a hell of a lot more is people changing their lifestyle and getting off their ass and doing something about the problem themselves instead of running to the E.R. for every sniffle, headache or hangnail. We are quickly becoming a nation where sickness is the normal condition of people instead of health.

TheAstonMartian

Jan 24, 2011
Actually you would impress me a little more if your main concern was the lack of responsibility people are willing to take for their own health, while we may need a few more doctors what we need a hell of a lot more is people changing their lifestyle and getting off their ass and doing something about the problem themselves instead of running to the E.R. for every sniffle, headache or hangnail. We are quickly becoming a nation where sickness is the normal condition of people instead of health.
While it is true that Tylenol and Band-Aid help a lot, that does not negate the fact that we still have less doctors per population.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Hi!

While it is quite interesting to get many replies and I am thankful for it, I also believe that some were unnecessary. I did not say that I wanted to become a politician ASAP, but that I just wanted to know about the steps. I want to represent people weather it be in my community, or a certain area, but the issues that I want to resolve can benefit a lot of people from a lot of different places of Canada. I don't see why I would need therapy, or why JLM is being a pain about this.

I am sorry that in the politics section of CanadianContent forum, I get answers which are satirical, and not serious. A politician may be attributed with being a liar, a cheat, a fraud, etc. etc. but that's just your stereotype. The reason why Canadian democracy is benefiting so many people is because it works. However, for a democracy to work, we also look for other peoples opinions and their votes. Decisions may take time to get made, but we have already had a lot of concerns resolved. One is the universal health care which many take for granted.

and look where he is now?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hi!

One of the first things you have to learn before you can become an M.P. is that you have to LISTEN to the constituents. Take a page out of the business man's guide book- "The constituent is always right". A good M.P. never bad mouths a constituent,especially in front of other constituents. A good M.P. does not send his constituent a note saying his idea is bad. I think you have a few serious things to learn about life before you qualify as an M.P.

TheAstonMartian

Jan 24, 2011
One of the first things you have to learn before you can become an M.P. is that you have to LISTEN to the constituents. Take a page out of the business man's guide book- "The constituent is always right". A good M.P. never bad mouths a constituent,especially in front of other constituents. A good M.P. does not send his constituent a note saying his idea is bad. I think you have a few serious things to learn about life before you qualify as an M.P.
True. I am not becoming an MP anytime soon, but have time to learn, and adapt. However, what is so bad about being an MP? They work long hours, and try to raise concerns. If we look down at politics, then we will never be able to break the barrier between government spending, and taxpayer contributions.

As for representing a political party, I think it goes without saying that you don't backbite, or criticize other members.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
True. I am not becoming an MP anytime soon, but have time to learn, and adapt. However, what is so bad about being an MP? They work long hours, and try to raise concerns. If we look down at politics, then we will never be able to break the barrier between government spending, and taxpayer contributions.

As for representing a political party, I think it goes without saying that you don't backbite, or criticize other members.

Ideally nothing. First an M.P. is loyal to the constituents and does their bidding. Most often the M.P. does what the party leader wants and to Hell with the constituent. Quite often (almost always) the M.P. gets himself obligated to the corporate sector. A good M.P. lays his cards on the table at the getgo both to the party executive and to the constituents- and hopes his philosophy is good enough. As soon as he starts changing his rules to get votes he's in trouble. Federally and Provincially we have too many YES MEN.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hi!

As many others have said in previous posts in this thread already, albeit not quite as explicitly as I'll say it below:

Join the Party, submit to the Party, breathe the Party, be the Party, and you will work your way up.