Capt. Paul's Death Makes 153: Gen. Natynczyk

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today, His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General and Commander-in-Chief in and over Canada, issued a statement in relation to the death of Captain Francis Paul Cecis. Capt Francis was a member of the Canadian Forces who passed away, of natural causes, during his leave from the armed intervention in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.

The decision to issue a statement so late comes, I would presume, from the decision of General Walter Natyczyk C.M.M., M.S.C., C.D., the Chief of the Defence Staff, to re-evaluate the casualty policy of the Canadian Forces. The Chief of the Defence Staff said that "[a]lthough his death came suddenly while on leave from his deployment in Afghanistan, he was still on duty and considered part of the mission." The captain was a member of 28 Field Ambulance, based in Ottawa; during his deployment in Afghanistan, he assisted the medical services support unit of Joint Task Force Afghanistan as an adjutant.

[b][color=#af1e2d]His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston[/color][/b] said:
On behalf of all Canadians, my wife Sharon and I wish to extend our sympathies to the family of Captain Francis (Frank) Cecil Paul, who died on February 10, 2010, of natural causes in Ottawa while on leave from his posting in Afghanistan.

All Canadians can be proud of the commitment shown by our Canadian Forces members. Their steadfast dedication is to be extolled, as every man and woman taking part in this mission is doing so with the utmost professionalism and dedication to duty.

To read the entire statement, please click here.
With this adjustment, 153 members of the Canadian Forces, now, have died during the armed intervention.

My condolences, as well, go out to the loved ones of Capt Paul; it's unfortunate that they would have to have the terrible news of his death (he suffered a stroke during his leave) rehashed, now, due to the Chief of the Defence Staff's decision to add his death to the register of Afghan casualties. On the other hand, though, perhaps they may take some comfort in the fact that the history books are going to show that the officer died in the service of Canada. It's a shame it took so long to re-evalutate the casualty policy.

Sources

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Today, His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General and Commander-in-Chief in and over Canada, issued a statement in relation to the death of Captain Francis Paul Cecis. Capt Francis was a member of the Canadian Forces who passed away, of natural causes, during his leave from the armed intervention in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.

The decision to issue a statement so late comes, I would presume, from the decision of General Walter Natyczyk C.M.M., M.S.C., C.D., the Chief of the Defence Staff, to re-evaluate the casualty policy of the Canadian Forces. The Chief of the Defence Staff said that "[a]lthough his death came suddenly while on leave from his deployment in Afghanistan, he was still on duty and considered part of the mission." The captain was a member of 28 Field Ambulance, based in Ottawa; during his deployment in Afghanistan, he assisted the medical services support unit of Joint Task Force Afghanistan as an adjutant.

With this adjustment, 153 members of the Canadian Forces, now, have died during the armed intervention.

My condolences, as well, go out to the loved ones of Capt Paul; it's unfortunate that they would have to have the terrible news of his death (he suffered a stroke during his leave) rehashed, now, due to the Chief of the Defence Staff's decision to add his death to the register of Afghan casualties. On the other hand, though, perhaps they may take some comfort in the fact that the history books are going to show that the officer died in the service of Canada. It's a shame it took so long to re-evalutate the casualty policy.

Sources

The precedents was set as long ago as the Mid 70's - So yes it is disgraceful - But then again some Dumb ass Capt's or Major's probably had to justify it for 9 superiors, 9 ways to Sunday and 9 ways back again.