Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Second-hand Smoke Kills 600,000 Every Year: WHO

http://bit.ly/hGI0QJ

Factory smoke and car exhaust are the real killers but it is
easier to go after the cigarette companies

With people walking or jogging on the sidewalk breathing in
that car and truck exhaust as the traffic goes by.

Industry that produces a lot of factory smoke when they make
products

The population
increases which results in more factories and more cars and trucks producing
the pollution.

There are less people smoking today but the smoking related
diseases are going up, why?

They should set up pollution measuring equipment on the side
of busy road that’s where the majority of respiratory disease starts.

The real reason why they won’t is that they don’t have a
solution to the problem so it is better to blame an industry.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"There are less people smoking today but the smoking related
diseases are going up, why?"

'Cause it's a whole pile of Bullsh*t. :lol:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Nope, because we know to watch for it now. So 40 years down the road when someone who never smoked but lived with a smoker all those years dies of lung cancer, we know the cause.

I am sure all the right wingers on this board will call for stiff jail time for smokers.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Nope, because we know to watch for it now. So 40 years down the road when someone who never smoked but lived with a smoker all those years dies of lung cancer, we know the cause.

No, you'd only be assuming what the cause was, since technically there are a number of other causes for lung cancer besides cigarettes. Someone's job, where they live, their family's medical history, their own medical history, continued exposure to various chemicals..... and yes, tobacco smoke (1st & 2nd hand) is a form of chemical exposure, but there are others out there too.

And just because some non-smoker lives with a smoker for an extended period of time, that isn't a guarantee they'll get lung cancer either..... it all depends on their habits, how much they smoke, where they smoke, exposure to 2nd hand smoke, etc..... maybe their partner who does smoke goes outside to smoke.... maybe their partner only smokes a couple of times a day with the window open...... who knows?

Nobody that's who, so to automatically assume what the cause is for someone to have lung cancer just because they were around a smoker for a period of time is short sighted.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Right you are. Just like you can't assume that someone with 16 holes laying dead on the floor next to the 30 06 with 16 shell casings scattered about the room was killed by a gun shot wound. Many factors must be considered like time of day, windows open or closed, when they last visited the library. According to a couple of studies our good friend Colpy posted here back at the turn of the century, we're not even sure that guns kill people. It could be just the bullets so a stronger case for other possible killers is well documented. After all someone who sits in a room smoking a pack of smokes each night with the windows closed can hardly be linked to anything especially the carcinogenic properties of second hand smoke. It's like the nicotine is addictive myth.

You've convinced me, on this one, I bet it was those damn Liberals and Jean Chrétien!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Right you are. Just like you can't assume that someone with 16 holes laying dead on the floor next to the 30 06 with 16 shell casings scattered about the room was killed by a gun shot wound. Many factors must be considered like time of day, windows open or closed, when they last visited the library. According to a couple of studies our good friend Colpy posted here back at the turn of the century, we're not even sure that guns kill people. It could be just the bullets so a stronger case for other possible killers is well documented. After all someone who sits in a room smoking a pack of smokes each night with the windows closed can hardly be linked to anything especially the carcinogenic properties of second hand smoke. It's like the nicotine is addictive myth.

You've convinced me, on this one, I bet it was those damn Liberals and Jean Chrétien!

Nice way to take things out of proportion...... you didn't provide the information in your hypothetical about how much your imaginary smoker smoked per day, if he had the windows closed and strapped their spouse into a chair, occasionally beats them, forces them to inhale all the smoke 24 hours a day...... oh and I also suppose the smoker also burns their spouse with the cigarettes too and eats the beating hearts straight out of newborn babies too while we're at it?

Point being is that just because a smoker and non-smoker live together for a period of time, that is not a guarantee either will contract lung cancer and if one or the other contracts lung cancer, it's not guaranteed it had anything to do with smoking.

What's really lame is that you try and compare a gunshot victim who was found recently with the weapon nearby..... to someone's habbit that may or may not expand over an extended period of time/years who contracts lung cancer.

So let's say I just started smoking last week and now I suddenly have lung cancer..... if you're going to contribute my lung cancer to the 7 days where I smoked a couple of cigarettes a day and not even factor in other things in my life that might have contributed to my condition, you obviously are in no position to make any sort of intelligent conclusion on the matter and are allowing your bias and hatred of tobacco to cloud your judgment in a way that you can only see one thing being responsible for my condition.

If you want a logical comparison, then compare your original situation of the smoker and non-smoker to a crime scene that looks like the victim committed suicide.

They have a hole in their head, they have the gun in their hand and a round or two was spent....... at face value, it must have been a suicide..... with your mentality, it's case closed I guess......

Oh wait, upon closer inspection, there's another set of foot prints near the victim, a window was left open, the placement of the gunshot wound and the positioning of the gun in their hand do not match up to what a typical suicide looks like and it would be impossible for the victim to make that shot and only a person standing away from them could contribute to what happened.

Same with lung cancer..... you can't just look at it at face value..... did they smoke or do they live with someone who smokes?

Let's say they did...... but what about the factor of them working a job that exposes them daily to various chemicals and substances they inhale?

Anybody working in a job that deals with plastics, solvents and other forms of chemicals have an increased risk of contracting an illness relating to those chemicals..... lung cancer is one of those illnesses.... and believe it or not, but many in our society work with many chemicals every single day that can affect your health and your lungs.

Do you think those laser printers in your office or right beside your desk are perfectly safe? The Toner fumes that come from those printers have many chemicals that have been documented as producing various respiratory complications over an extended period of exposure..... some being similar to heavy smoking.

How about those PVC vinyl shower curtains?

Ever notice that chemical smell you get when you first take them out of the packaging and that smell that lingers around in the bathroom for days, even after you soak them?

^ That's not good for you either.

The point being is that there's a number of things that can contribute to lung cancer..... or any cancer.

Just to sum up someone's death to cancer as them being a smoker is pretty ignorant.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It would hardly be ignorant.

Smoking has been proven to dramatically increase the risk of lung cancer. No amount of libertarian garbage about the merits of one's freedom to smoke is going to change that fact; cue frothing-at-the-mouth regarding some government conspiracy, at this point...

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
National Toxicology Program. Report on Carcinogens. Eleventh Edition. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Toxicology Program, 2005.

International Agency for Research on Cancer. Tobacco Smoke and Involuntary Smoking. Lyon, France: 2002. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol. 83.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Coordinating Center for Health Promotion, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 2006.

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Respiratory Health Effects of Passive Smoking (Also Known as Exposure to Secondhand Smoke or Environmental Tobacco Smoke--ETS). U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1992.

Here are a few papers that you are wrong. You are welcome to refute their findings though I would ask that you quote the reference you are disputing and post it and your rebuttal here.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This subject is an obsession with many people, smoke kills some and preserves others, but like everything else, it's not so much a case of "whether" but rather of "how much". Everything in moderation is the key to a healthy life.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
This subject is an obsession with many people, smoke kills some and preserves others, but like everything else, it's not so much a case of "whether" but rather of "how much". Everything in moderation is the key to a healthy life.

Oh well then let's see all this research that shows smoking tobacco "preserves" someone's health.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Everyone is killed by death. Second-hand farts are deadly, too.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

The operative word is related...it's not BS, there's more than one way to get lung cancer or heart disease...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The operative word is related...it's not BS, there's more than one way to get lung cancer or heart disease...

I know that, yes there is a connection between smoking and cancer, there is a connection between drinking and schlerosis of the liver . What a lot of people don't realize is there are several types of lung cancer some not attributable to smoking so all lung cancers get tarred with the same brush and cause hysteria and that is where the "bullsh*t" ties in.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think what we are seeing in this thread is the exact same mentality responsible for Probition in the 1920s.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
"Research" in another problem- just look at old smokers.

From what I can see, they look much older than they actually are. All sickly and hacking away. Of course there is no research to back up the ridiculous claim you made, I was just shining you on. "just look at old smokers" I bet they're always trying to herd you onto the short bus in the mornings when you're out for the first butt of the day.