Parliament, If Only Youth Voted...

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If only youth voted at a federal election held today, here's what the House of Commons would be made up of:

• 104 seats for Her Majesty's Government for Canada (Liberal Party of Canada)
  • 60 seats for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition (Bloc Québécois)
  • 53 seats for the New Democratic Party of Canada
  • 46 seats for the Conservative Party of Canada
  • 43 seats for the Green Party of Canada
Now, if only the elderly voted, here would be the composition:

• 192 seats for Her Majesty's Government for Canada (Conservative Pary of Canada
  • 106 seats for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition (Liberal Party of Canada)
  • 9 seats for the Bloc Québécois
Only 37% of young voters (18-24) exercise their right to vote. Youth could make a huge difference, if they'd only take advantage of it!

Source

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This is the same problem in the States. It's a shame that Churchill's douchebag synopsis still hold's true.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If you are not a liberal at twenty, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative at forty, you have no brain.
Winston Churchill

And it's only douchebag if you're a Liberal;-)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Heheh....This is starting to look like a "Liberal only" thread...so I will leave you to your mutual accolade and cheering each other on....:lol:

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
If you are not a liberal at twenty, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative at forty, you have no brain.
Winston Churchill

And it's only douchebag if you're a Liberal;-)

Churchill is wrong, if he means that individuals change their political beliefs over time. Based upon my studies of political science, I can say that individuals are usually set in their politics throughout their lifetimes, and it's just society that changes around them, thus making it seem like they are more conservative as they get older.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I wish more young people would vote, but when I look at the nightmarish scenario, as posted by the OP, I am thankful that it is not come to pass, or Canada would cease to exist: with that type of parliament it would be a race as to who left Confederation first between western provinces and Quebec. I think the results of the poll(?) that Fiveparadox posted show both the idealism and lack of experience of youth, that Churchill's comment alludes to.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Churchill is wrong, if he means that individuals change their political beliefs over time. Based upon my studies of political science, I can say that individuals are usually set in their politics throughout their lifetimes, and it's just society that changes around them, thus making it seem like they are more conservative as they get older.

Nah! Until you get out on your own and start supporting yourself, your only life experience is in living off the tit of others. That falls nicely in line with the philosophy of the Dippers. Experience is a nice educational tool.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I wish more young people would vote, but when I look at the nightmarish scenario, as posted by the OP, I am thankful that it is not come to pass, or Canada would cease to exist: with that type of parliament it would be a race as to who left Confederation first between western provinces and Quebec. I think the results of the poll(?) that Fiveparadox posted show both the idealism and lack of experience of youth, that Churchill's comment alludes to.

Nightmarish? I find the second result nightmarish and I am an older voter.

So far as the article is concerned the solution seems simple for those who want the youth vote; field candidates and a platform that will attract them. That means replacing the current stodgy leadership with younger more dynamic candidates.