To end poverty, guarantee everyone in Canada $20,000 a year.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
An interesting view on poverty reduction and charity.

Nicole Gray, a 24-year-old single mother living in Victoria, feels like a “beggar” every time she has to go into a government office and ask for help to pay her bills.

She has finished her diploma to be an office medical assistant despite having gotten pregnant as a teenager. But job losses and the difficulty of raising her son, now 7, on her own have made her income unpredictable. Meanwhile, she says, the system is suspicious of every request and doubts every word.

To end poverty, guarantee everyone in Canada $20,000 a year. But are you willing to trust the poor? - The Globe and Mail

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Nicole Gray, a 24-year-old single mother living in Victoria, feels like a “beggar” every time she has to go into a government office and ask for help to pay her bills.

She has finished her diploma to be an office medical assistant despite having gotten pregnant as a teenager. But job losses and the difficulty of raising her son, now 7, on her own have made her income unpredictable. Meanwhile, she says, the system is suspicious of every request and doubts every word.

To end poverty, guarantee everyone in Canada $20,000 a year. But are you willing to trust the poor? - The Globe and Mail

So what incentive is there to work?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh I Don't know, TO MAKE MORE THAN 20K A YEAR good enough incentive? To have more than just the basic necessities?

2000 hours a year at our minimum wages comes to $16,000, so maybe there's not much incentive to work- I would go along with a guaranteed income of $10,000, with a proviso that you would be allowed to make another $10,000 without penalty.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
2000 hours a year at our minimum wages comes to $16,000, so maybe there's not much incentive to work- I would go along with a guaranteed income of $10,000, with a proviso that you would be allowed to make another $10,000 without penalty.
Or something like Workfare in Ontario?
Naah.... that was a conservative Idea:smile:

Much better to do like California

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
So what incentive is there to work?

That was answered in the article. You did read the article right?

Or something like Workfare in Ontario?
Naah.... that was a conservative Idea:smile:

Much better to do like California

Much better to do it the right to start with.

The idea of a guaranteed annual income has been tested before in Canada – in the mid-1970s, in Dauphin, Man., a farming town with then about 10,000 residents.

In the only experiment of its kind in North America, every household in Dauphin was given access to a guaranteed annual budget, subject to their income level. For a family of five, payments equalled about $18,000 a year in today's dollars.

Politicians primarily wanted to see if people would stop working. While the project was pre-empted by a change in government, a second look by researchers has found that there was only a slight decline in work – mostly among mothers, who chose to stay home with their children, and teenaged boys, who stayed in school longer.

Evelyn Forget, a researcher in medicine at the University of Manitoba, reports that Dauphin also experienced a 10-per-cent drop in hospital admissions and fewer doctor visits, especially for mental-health issues.

Mothers staying home to raise their kids, Boys staying in school longer, 10% drop in hospital admissions. Probably sounds a little TOO liberal for some conservatives.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I think if the government gives out money , there should be something demanded in return. What that is ? I don't know

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I think if the government gives out money , there should be something demanded in return. What that is ? I don't know

People give out money the government distributes it. But your idea begs the question, what do people now owe for the education and medical treatment they get until they are 18? Put a dollar value to it just for argument sake.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Absolutely - there's easily 30 jobs available within 5 miles of where I live just picking up roadside garbage. What about patrolling the streets and clubbing punks who are breaking street lights and mugging old people? :lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
A friend of mine once suggested that we sell Canada to the US (since they already own all our resources anyway) for $1 million per head. That way everybody would have an equal chance to make something of their lives. Some might blow it up their noses or shoot it into their veins (and possibly croak) but most would invest it in their futures. $330 billion for Canada - a bargain. Oh, and that mill should be tax free.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

You mean besides alleviating the pressure on government that poverty exerts? Addressing poverty means better educated citizens, better mental health, and less youth crime, amongst many other benefits. That's a pretty good return.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
You mean besides alleviating the pressure on government that poverty exerts? Addressing poverty means better educated citizens, better mental health, and less youth crime, amongst many other benefits. That's a pretty good return.
Sure that is , no problem with that , But will all want to get a better education to get a better job ?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

We should never give the poor money. Education with room and board? Yes. Money? Never. Nothing personal, but we don't know why they have become poor, and so should not give them money. How do we know a person is not an addict of some kind, whether to drugs, gambling, prostitution, etc.

Instead, give them the tools directly that they'll need to succeed.

However, before we give them any such help, we must first ensure we can afford it. That could mean cutting spending in other less crucial areas, and possibly raising taxes. In some cases, it might be possible to have them give back 'military style' along the lines of a kind of Canadian peace corps loosely based on the US version, but with the modification that recruits could receive further education in exchange for so many years of work in the peace corps afterwards. In this way, we also get something back for the money invested.

Again, I have no issue with paying taxes. My issue is with how that tax money is spent.

Giving money to the poor actually works better as an anti-poverty measure than increasing the minimum wage. There's lots of support from economics for this:
Can income transfers to poor families help children? | vox - Research-based policy analysis and commentary from leading economists

This I can agree with. Minimum wage just prices people out of the market. Sometimes it can be a good thing, depending on the specific objectives in mind. But in most cases, it's not a good solution to alleviating poverty, any more than rent ceilings are a solution to the affordable housing problem.