Stockwell vindicated.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Your Comments

"Statistical significance is not merely a significant increase from one observed data set to another. Statistical findings are significant when they exceed the margin of error. Since Ms. Goldstein's article fails to note the margin of error for this study (although, admittedly with a sample size of 15,000+ it would be quite small), this claim seems difficult to corroborate.

A more pressing concern, however, is the fact that Ms. Goldstein asserts this was "scientific poll" - but of what nature? Opt-in online, panel study, telephone? Using what sampling frame? From what dates? All of this makes a difference. A significant difference.

Like Mr. Day, Ms. Goldstein seems to rely on the rhetorical weight of her argument, rather than methodology."

Being a twit is relative to you political views, I guess.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Well, since we are relying so heavily on rhetoric, all I have to say is that the stats seem to show that things are getting worse with the cons in power. People have even less faith in the system since the cons have been in charge.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Well, since we are relying so heavily on rhetoric, all I have to say is that the stats seem to show that things are getting worse with the cons in power. People have even less faith in the system since the cons have been in charge.

I am disgusted with the CPC obsession with mandatory sentencing, and their tendency to buy into the US "war on drugs" psychology........throw in a little anti-terror legislation (more truthfully anti-democratic, anti-liberty legislation), their inability to stop the influx of "refugees" even when warned days in advance, and their extremely tepid attack on the Firearms Act...............well, they aren't scoring well.

But the opposition is worse.

It is bloody ridiculous.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I am disgusted with the CPC obsession with mandatory sentencing, and their tendency to buy into the US "war on drugs" psychology........throw in a little anti-terror legislation (more truthfully anti-democratic, anti-liberty legislation), their inability to stop the influx of "refugees" even when warned days in advance, and their extremely tepid attack on the Firearms Act...............well, they aren't scoring well.

It is bloody ridiculous.
I am really thinking it is thus by design. Pretty hard to decide which limp dick you want to be screwed by. Unless someone with balls shows up soon, we will be stuck with minority governments for a long time. We are quickly becoming a boat without a rudder or captain.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Debatable. The money for new prisons comes from where? Program spending on crime prevention, and victims programs has been cut. Day may have been correct about unreported crime rising, however this report doesn't justify more prisons at the expense of victims programs and crime prevention...

It is, bloody ridiculous.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I am really thinking it is thus by design. Pretty hard to decide which limp dick you want to be screwed by. Unless someone with balls shows up soon, we will be stuck with minority governments for a long time. We are quickly becoming a boat without a rudder or captain.
Better to have a minority Harper government than a party led by an american a-hole who says he is tired trying to convince people he is a 'goddamned Canadian'. (Mcleans magazine quote Sept 20, 2010)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Better to have a minority Harper government than a party led by an american a-hole who says he is tired trying to convince people he is a 'goddamned Canadian'. (Mcleans magazine quote Sept 20, 2010)
Well, being an anarchist, I don't believe in government bigger than at a community level. Feds should just deal with foreign affairs and provincial should only deal with inter provincial trade. As it is, we certainly do not get any bang for our buck and the screwing gets more painful by the year. Time for that tax revolt I first heard of back in the fifties and still hasn't materialized.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

That probably depends on where you live. So far most of the people I've talked to are really pissed off at the Libs and the Dippers over the gun registry. The opinion of the block has been in negative territory forever.