Michaëlle Jean's Term Draws to an End

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Tonight is the last night of the term of Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General and Commander-in-Chief in and over Canada. Her Excellency's term has brought much-needed positive attention to the Office of the Governor General, through Her Excellency's impassioned speeches, and sincere efforts to inspire communication and dialogue between solitudes--between French and English Canada, between youth and the rest of the population, between minorities, and in other ways.

On the occasion of the last night of Her Excellency's term, the Governor General addressed a letter to Canadians.

My mandate was therefore not at all a quiet one, far from it. As for my constitutional responsibilities, I had to face the specific challenges of all minority governments in exercising the duties of the governor general. A moment in our political history that very likely made the population question our system and how our institutions function.

I have worked with two heads of government, the Right Honourable Paul Martin and the Right Honourable Stephen Harper. I would like to thank both of them. One for believing in my abilities in designating me the 27th governor general of Canada, and the other for the reciprocal respect that has marked our relationship over the past four years.

The difficult and dangerous mission in Afghanistan is a test for the entire country and especially for our soldiers and their families. Throughout my mandate, I have striven to share their anxieties, their pain and the weight of their mourning. I have also been amazed by their courage and the incredible generosity of the women and men who wear the Canadian uniform as they answer the call of duty and help build peace, security and stability in a region of the world that has been shaken by decades of deadly conflict. I will always be grateful to them for opening their hearts to me.

Please see the entire letter here.
The installation of Mr. David Johnston C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., the Governor General-designate, is scheduled for tomorrow. The appointment of Mr. Johnston was announced on 5 September 2010, when he was invited by Her Majesty the Queen of Canada to become the Crown's representative, on the advice of The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think she displayed some real passion for the job, I had doubts in the
beginning but over all she did a good job promoting the aspirations of
this country. I think the successor will take a while to fill the shoes of
Jean, but in time people will judge for themselves. I think she should
have stayed on but that is the choice of the Prime Minister. With a
minority government Harper wanted someone he could control without
question.
I also think we will see an election within the calendar year of 2011.
The problem is we will have a minority, as long as the Bloc exists.
The role of the Governor General could well play a pivotal role in
the future of this country.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
Tonight is the last night of the term of Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General and Commander-in-Chief in and over Canada. Her Excellency's term has brought much-needed positive attention to the Office of the Governor General, through Her Excellency's impassioned speeches, and sincere efforts to inspire communication and dialogue between solitudes--between French and English Canada, between youth and the rest of the population, between minorities, and in other ways.

On the occasion of the last night of Her Excellency's term, the Governor General addressed a letter to Canadians.

The installation of Mr. David Johnston C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., the Governor General-designate, is scheduled for tomorrow. The appointment of Mr. Johnston was announced on 5 September 2010, when he was invited by Her Majesty the Queen of Canada to become the Crown's representative, on the advice of The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister.

I'm sorry to see her go. She fulfilled her role with dignity, thoughtful intelligence and obviously genuine caring, during what turned out to be a time when the role of the G.G. went far beyond the norm. I was delighted when she was appointed as she represented to me everything I think Canada is about, as I'm sure she did to the rest of the world. Who can forget her standing proudly in the military uniform saluting our Veterans and representing all our military on that Veterans Day? A very special lady and an very special Canadian Governor General. Well done Your Excellency!

Thank you for the reminder, FiveParadox, I hadn't realized it was tonight. I'll add my email to the thousands she's no doubt getting.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Steve Harper was going to go to the Queen if GG Jean would have refused the porogue

According to an author quoting someone else close to Harper, who also says the quote was taken completely out of context when it was given in response (flippantly) to a question about a hypothetical situation. Does every post from you have to degenerate into a Liberal vs Conservative mudfight? Why not talk about the Governor General's accomplishments (or lack of them if that is your opinion) instead...

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
Steve Harper was going to go to the Queen if GG Jean would have refused the porogue
The Queen would have gone with her G.G.'s decision no matter what a P.M. said. The G.G. represents a country, a ruling monarch would over-ride them at the peril of having an anti-monarchist upsurge and E. II knows it:

"Except in rare cases, the Governor General only acts in accordance with constitutional convention and upon the advice of the national Prime Minister. The Governor General is still the local representative of the sovereign, and performs the same duties as they carried out historically, though their role is almost purely ceremonial. Rare and controversial exceptions occurred in 1926, when Canadian Governor General Lord Byng refused Prime Minister Mackenzie King's request for a dissolution of parliament; in 1953 and 1954 when the Governor General of Pakistan, Ghulam Mohammad, staged a constitutional coup against the Prime Minister and then the Constituent Assembly; and in 1975, when the Governor General of Australia, Sir John Kerr, dismissed the Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam. In principle, the Crown could overrule a Governor General, but this has not happened in modern times." Governor-General - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

I agree, Five.

I was very pleasantly surprised by her term.....I had extreme doubts when she was appointed, but she discharged her duties in a dignified manner, she was compassionate, and she was supportive at all the right times.....I loved the seal-eating bit!!! Excellent stuff.

I did disagree with her on the prorogation............but that was a very complicated situation. All in all, she proved an excellent choice.

The Queen would have gone with her G.G.'s decision no matter what a P.M. said. The G.G. represents a country, a ruling monarch would over-ride them at the peril of having an anti-monarchist upsurge and E. II knows it:

"Except in rare cases, the Governor General only acts in accordance with constitutional convention and upon the advice of the national Prime Minister. The Governor General is still the local representative of the sovereign, and performs the same duties as they carried out historically, though their role is almost purely ceremonial. Rare and controversial exceptions occurred in 1926, when Canadian Governor General Lord Byng refused Prime Minister Mackenzie King's request for a dissolution of parliament; in 1953 and 1954 when the Governor General of Pakistan, Ghulam Mohammad, staged a constitutional coup against the Prime Minister and then the Constituent Assembly; and in 1975, when the Governor General of Australia, Sir John Kerr, dismissed the Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam. In principle, the Crown could overrule a Governor General, but this has not happened in modern times." Governor-General - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, I think the whole Queen thing is an invention of Lawrence Martin, who is a Liberal shill if one ever existed.

Secondly, the GG merely represents the Queen, who could have over ruled her.

Thirdly, although a VERY complicated decision over which I bear our old GG no ill will, she made a mistake in her judgement.....she should have dissolved Parliament, and sent us all out for another election........CPC vs The Coalition. Her role is, as Head of State, the preservation of that State..............................and asking the Liberals to form a government with the seditious Bloc as a silent partner would be failing in her duties.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
From my largely uninformed perspective I think she did a good job. At least she didn't come across as being overwhelmed with her own self importance, unlike two previous female G.G.s, who just squandered tax money in a criminal manner, flitting around the world. Jeanne Sauve should have been hanged. Clarkson wasn't much better.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
From my largely uninformed perspective I think she did a good job. At least she didn't come across as being overwhelmed with her own self importance, unlike two previous female G.G.s, who just squandered tax money in a criminal manner, flitting around the world. Jeanne Sauve should have been hanged. Clarkson wasn't much better.

While the male GG's all did wonderful jobs and were humble? Sorry, but why on earth are you just holding her up to the other women?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
While the male GG's all did wonderful jobs and were humble? Sorry, but why on earth are you just holding her up to the other women?

Sorry, I don't recall saying that. For some reason I just don't have much recollection of the men- I believe Jeanne Sauve was the first female G.G. so was probably paying closer attention. Didn't mean to p*ss you off, Karrie. :smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sorry, I don't recall saying that. For some reason I just don't have much recollection of the men- I believe Jeanne Sauve was the first female G.G. so was probably paying closer attention. Didn't mean to p*ss you off, Karrie. :smile:

It was more of a pointed question than being pissed off. I just found it odd is all. And no big worries because I don't remember any of the GG's before Clarkson. lol.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It was more of a pointed question than being pissed off. I just found it odd is all. And no big worries because I don't remember any of the GG's before Clarkson. lol.

I couldn't recall many either until I looked them up. Governors General of Canada

I remembered Vincent Massey.:lol: I think Hnatychn and Romeo Leblance were Okay. Sauve was firmly embedded in my brain like a 3rd rate horror movie. (or should that be ***** movie):lol:

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Watching the installation this morning on cpac I found the new GG both uninspired and uninspiring... just like the current government.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Watching the installation this morning on cpac I found the new GG both uninspired and uninspiring... just like the current government.

I haven't watched it yet but I have no doubt that no matter who was appointed to fill the role they would have a tough time measuring up to the standard Michaelle Jean has now set. The bar has been raised - and it might be a long while before we find someone who carries the intention of the position with such compassion and dignity. She did Canada proud.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
On the Question of Prorogation

First, at the outset, let me say that The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the 27th Governor General, had been placed in an absolutely unacceptable position by the prime minister of the day. It is generally agreed amongst political scholars and academics that it is inappropriate to resort to the prerogative powers of the Crown to avoid an expression by the House of Commons of non-confidence in the Government.

At the time that The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister had sought the prorogation of the Parliament of Canada, the House of Commons had, on its Order Paper, a motion of confidence that all spectators knew was going to decisively defeat Her Majesty's Government for Canada. So, to avoid the judgement of the Commons, the prime minister went to Rideau Hall and requested a dissolution. In what is now known to us, Ms. Jean made the prime minister wait for over two hours (most probably a symbol that the Crown has the ultimate constitutional authority, and not the prime minister).

Where I disagree with the former Governor General, is where Ms. Jean accepted the prime minister's recommendation, and ordered that the Houses be prorogued. Previous constitutional precedent had been that a prime minister shall not have a request to disrupt the proceedings of Parliament accepted while the House of Commons is seized of a motion of confidence. When the late Field Marshal The Right Honourable The Viscount Byng of Vimy G.C.B., G.C.M.G., M.V.O., D.C.O., the 12th Governor General was advised by The Right Honourable William Lyon Mackenzie King P.C., O.M., G.M.C., the 10th Prime Minister, to avoid the resolution of a motion of confidence before the House of Commons, the Governor General rejected the prime minister's advice. The prime minister resigned, and the then-Leader of the Opposition was asked to form a Government. The precedent was clear; a prime minister may not advise a disruption of Parliament when seized by a motion of confidence.

The problem with the adoption, by Ms. Jean, of Mr. Harper's advice is that it may have overruled the old precedent and established a new one. If the House of Commons is about to reject the throne speech, the prime minister could ask for Parliament to be prorogued instead, so he can introduce a new throne speech. If the House of Commons is about to defeat a budget, the prime minister could ask for prorogation, so that a new budget can be introduced. If the House is about to adopt a motion of no confidence, the prime minister could ask for dissolution, dropping the no-confidence motion from the order paper. This sets a very dangerous precedent, as it undermines the principle of responsible government--that is, that the Government must at all times enjoy the confidence of the House of Commons in order to govern. Responsible government is the core of what makes parliamentary democracy "democratic". We cannot simply do away with the confidence convention, without transitioning to a completely different constitutional system of government.

The Great Success of the Right Hon. Michaëlle Jean

Ms. Jean, as Governor General, did something that her predecessors largely failed to do. She brought national attention to the Office of the Governor General (even the prorogation controversy notwithstanding) without questionable spending practices. Ms. Jean used the Office for genuinely honourable (even "right honourable") purposes; her mandate saw the creation of a new website, Citizen Voices, for youth to engage the viceregal office and our constitutional history and development; her speeches were engaging and inspirational; and most importantly, she reminded Canadians of the value of the Office. I was always impressed with how Ms. Jean was able to portray the elegance and dignity of the Crown, enriched with her own wealth of personal experiences and thoughts, while keeping the Office distinctly separate from that of the Government of the day.

And Ms. Jean was able to do all of this without any controversies over spending! Former governors general had largely failed to bring high attention to the Office, unless it was through massive or questionable spending practices (the tenure of The Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson P.C., C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the 26th Governor General, comes to mind--though I feel that she was greatly wronged by the Liberal Government of the day, that's a discussion for another thread). Ms. Jean handled the Office with a startling fluency, and with a sincere passion that was quite refreshing. I very much feel that whatever dust of anachronism that had plagued the Office has, thanks to Ms. Jean, been very much shaken off.

Best wishes, and good luck, to His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., the Governor General of Canada.

His Excellency has big shoes to fill.

And I know that we can still expect great things of Michaëlle Jean, as Special Envoy to Haiti of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Michaëlle Jean is one classy lady. She speaks five languages fluently: French, English, Italian, Spanish, and Haitian Creole. Maybe she should replace Harper as Prime Minister. She could talk to a lot of leaders in their own language.