Veterans wanted dead, not alive, ombudsman charges

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
All the mindless bureaucrats at DND resent the vets that deserve help and money wasting it on living that instead could have been squandered on monuments to them selves.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
And the Cdn armed forces have ads on TV saying how great the job is, what a load of BS. Once you get hurt, they don't know you anymore. Why any fool would want to be a soldier is beyond me. Cannon fodder. Esp fighting in Asia for nothing.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
And the Cdn armed forces have ads on TV saying how great the job is, what a load of BS. Once you get hurt, they don't know you anymore. Why any fool would want to be a soldier is beyond me. Cannon fodder. Esp fighting in Asia for nothing.
You're calling our Canadian soldiers "fools"? Shame on you!! That is beyond despicable! I truly hope that no wives, husbands, parents, children... of any brave service man or woman fighting, or wounded or killed in this dreadful conflict in Canada's name doesn't read your sickening, thoughtless, cruel words. :angry4:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
You're calling our Canadian soldiers "fools"? Shame on you!! That is beyond despicable! I truly hope that no wives, husbands, parents, children... of any brave service man or woman fighting, or wounded or killed in this dreadful conflict in Canada's name doesn't read your sickening, thoughtless, cruel words. :angry4:

Coming from a family with military ties..... I'm pretty sure they've got a thick enough skin.

But I always say, if you want to trash someone, don't trash the troops.... trash those controlling them and sending them off to useless wars.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Our government burocrats and poloticians are a reflection of the general population. Human life is worth less than the pocket book. Case in point, the reaction of many "so called" Canadians of the Tamil refuges. They were more interested in how much it was going to cost them than in compassion. So, hearing that it is better for the soldiers to die than get woulnded because of the monetary cost is no surprise to me, and really shouldn't be any surprise to anyone else.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I was once told by a government employee that it really is in a teenage girl's best monetary interest to have all her kids as a teen if she's going to get stuck having one. Stripped of context and tone, that sounds like a really horrible suggestion, but it was a dry sarcastic commentary on the sad state of the lives of girls on welfare, not an actual wish that she hurry up and have the rest of her babies. I really can't get too worked up about the quote this OP sensationalizes, because I really can't help but think it easily could have been said in the same way.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I was once told by a government employee that it really is in a teenage girl's best monetary interest to have all her kids as a teen if she's going to get stuck having one. Stripped of context and tone, that sounds like a really horrible suggestion, but it was a dry sarcastic commentary on the sad state of the lives of girls on welfare, not an actual wish that she hurry up and have the rest of her babies. I really can't get too worked up about the quote this OP sensationalizes, because I really can't help but think it easily could have been said in the same way.

Funny how people read what they want to hear into statements on harsh reality.

My daughters poked, prodded and "volunteered" me into taking part in their high school's worker safety seminar. I followed the WSIB guy - who painted a rosy picture of Provincial benevolence on injured workers. I laid out my case - complete with all the supporting documentation - and said "...if you are going to be in a serious accident on an Ontario jobsite, you are better off to be killed because Ontario will make you wish you had been...."

The WSIB guy protested to the Board of Education about my insensitivity to the plight of injured workers.

I AM an injured worker....

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
Coming from a family with military ties..... I'm pretty sure they've got a thick enough skin.

But I always say, if you want to trash someone, don't trash the troops.... trash those controlling them and sending them off to useless wars.

Right on! PEACE! :::wot! no peace icon?!:::

Going off topic, sorry!: Praxius, I don't know whether to FAL or get a severe case of the creeps over your avatar! LOL And your ant is making me feel itchy. :grin:

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
I knew that Canadian Veterans have nothing even remotely like the benefits available to US Military veterans, but I had no idea it was that bad.

All I can say is, "For Shame on Canada".

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
For shame on Canada, for shame on the bureaucracy, for shame on the Harper government.

Canada has always treated its veterans like dirt.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I agree with that.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
When you get right down to it the bureaucrats that deal with Canada's veterans get their orders from above. If they are obstructionist then it is because someone higher up has told them to be that way. Eventually it gets to the minister in charge of the department and the policies he wants instituted regarding veterans.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
When you get right down to it the bureaucrats that deal with Canada's veterans get their orders from above. If they are obstructionist then it is because someone higher up has told them to be that way. Eventually it gets to the minister in charge of the department and the policies he wants instituted regarding veterans.
Check the recent history from WW 2 forward - all Govts - Lberal and Conservative treat Veterans poorly.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:canada: Rudyard said:

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, 'We serve no erd-coats 'ere.'
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed and giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again, an' to myself sez I:
Oh, it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Tommy, go away':
But it's 'Thank you, Mister Atkins,' when the band begins to play -
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
Oh, it's 'Thank you, Mister Atkins,' when the band begins to play.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Tommy, wait outside';
But it's 'Special train for Atkins' when the trooper's on the tide -
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
Oh, it's 'Special train for Atkins' when the trooper's on the tide.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?'
But it's 'Thin red line of 'eroes' when the drums begin to roll -
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
Oh, it's 'Thin red line of 'eroes when the drums begin to roll.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that , an' 'Tommy, fall be'ind,'
But it's 'Please to walk in front, sir,' when there's trouble in the wind -
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
Oh, it's 'Please to walk in front, sir,' when there's trouble in the wind.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Chuck him out, the brute!'
But it's 'Saviour of 'is country' when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Still true today, eh wot!! Pity.[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]8O
[/FONT]

Reactions: Bcool

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Copy of my email sent to my local lapdog in Ottawa
Sir

Not reappointing Col. Stogran sends a clear message to all Military that the Govt wants someone who toes the line. As the news reports often state about appointees - A lapdog, not a Watchdog - We have seen that in the appointments to the Office of the Military Ombudsman.

That along with the recent legislative changes, similar to what the UK has is an insult to all Military. It is a way of the Govt's abrogating their responsibility to Injured Veterans

When a person joins the Military they are the only group/individual to sign up for unlimited liability - basically being ordered to do something that could well result in serious injury and death.

The Govt under PM Harper states time and time again that they support the Military - Well support entails more than just equipment -

I am more than familiar with how the many Govt's over the years treated WW2 and Korean Vets - It was a disgrace and a stain on our Country.

I eagerly await your response on the matters Sir.

Thank you

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Funny how people read what they want to hear into statements on harsh reality.

My daughters poked, prodded and "volunteered" me into taking part in their high school's worker safety seminar. I followed the WSIB guy - who painted a rosy picture of Provincial benevolence on injured workers. I laid out my case - complete with all the supporting documentation - and said "...if you are going to be in a serious accident on an Ontario jobsite, you are better off to be killed because Ontario will make you wish you had been...."

The WSIB guy protested to the Board of Education about my insensitivity to the plight of injured workers.

I AM an injured worker....
Thats because the bureaucrats look out for themselves first. Around 60% of all program spending is eaten up administrating the program(jobs for bureaucrats)That does not leave much for those that the program was set up for.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Copy of my email sent to my local lapdog in Ottawa
Sir

Not reappointing Col. Stogran sends a clear message to all Military that the Govt wants someone who toes the line. As the news reports often state about appointees - A lapdog, not a Watchdog - We have seen that in the appointments to the Office of the Military Ombudsman.

That along with the recent legislative changes, similar to what the UK has is an insult to all Military. It is a way of the Govt's abrogating their responsibility to Injured Veterans

When a person joins the Military they are the only group/individual to sign up for unlimited liability - basically being ordered to do something that could well result in serious injury and death.

The Govt under PM Harper states time and time again that they support the Military - Well support entails more than just equipment -

I am more than familiar with how the many Govt's over the years treated WW2 and Korean Vets - It was a disgrace and a stain on our Country.

I eagerly await your response on the matters Sir.

Thank you

Good email. I should send one to my Tory lackey as well.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
:canada: Rudyard said:

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, 'We serve no erd-coats 'ere.'
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed and giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again, an' to myself sez I:
Oh, it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Tommy, go away':
But it's 'Thank you, Mister Atkins,' when the band begins to play -
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
Oh, it's 'Thank you, Mister Atkins,' when the band begins to play.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Tommy, wait outside';
But it's 'Special train for Atkins' when the trooper's on the tide -
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
Oh, it's 'Special train for Atkins' when the trooper's on the tide.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?'
But it's 'Thin red line of 'eroes' when the drums begin to roll -
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
Oh, it's 'Thin red line of 'eroes when the drums begin to roll.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that , an' 'Tommy, fall be'ind,'
But it's 'Please to walk in front, sir,' when there's trouble in the wind -
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
Oh, it's 'Please to walk in front, sir,' when there's trouble in the wind.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Chuck him out, the brute!'
But it's 'Saviour of 'is country' when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Still true today, eh wot!! Pity.[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]8O
[/FONT]

It is. :-( Thank you very much for this. My father was a WWII 'Tommy', he won the MC. But when he came home he was changed they said. So changed he left us, his family, and the country for good. We never saw him again. :::going all thoughtful and quiet:::

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Col. Stogran's right... the last vets to get reasonably proper treatment were WW-II vets.

All the rest since then have been treated like platters from a used TV-dinner, and that is *so* wrong.

To me it's such a no-brainer that if someone is going to volunteer to fight, then if they get hurt we take care of them, that I had been taking it for granted that that's what we were doing, such that I was *seriously* discombobulated to
hear Col. Stogran speak. I honestly had been presuming that we were taking proper care of vets.

Under Harper we're starting to pile up so many problems that they're getting difficult to keep track of.

He's trashing the ability for ministries, provinces, municipalities and agencies to govern properly with his evisceration of Stats Canada... until now ranked number one among the G8 by the London Economists for quality of national statics.

He's lubricating another shift of taxes from certain large businesses onto the laps of the dwindling middle-class and small-business with the HST.

He's spending billions on jets we don't need while high-school athletics programs are getting shut down for lack of uniforms and bus-rides.

He spent a billion dollars on a photo-op with other G8 leaders for a meeting they didn't need because the agenda and what the concluding policy statement would be were published before the meeting started, while... how many of you live in a part of the country where even a little bit of that billion dollars would have fixed a regional problem?

He's building more prisons than we really need... why? Is it because he knows his policies are going to create a backlash and so he's getting ready to imprison his future opposition?

His cabinet are a bunch of muzzled lap-dogs, and he's been making little changes here and there that don't seem connected but which, like a game Go, one day the last stone is played and it all comes together in one great big yank and the nation's skewered, gutted, and reformed as some sort of Christo-Nazi nightmare for everyone except those sado-masochists who like it when their religion makes life hurt.

And he's not taking care of vets... and that's where the line has to be drawn.

I wonder if he's ever read enough history to know that ultimately, all regimes are founded on the cooperative strength of their police and soldiers, and that in all cases, in every revolution from the Bolshevik revolution to the French revolution to the American revolution ad infinitum where the revolution crossed the point of no return - and succeeded - was when the police and military forces switched sides.

Without a proper guarantee of care should the soldier get hurt, the potential soldier not only has a disincentive to take a chance unless he's from a very prosperous family who can afford to care for him if he's hurt, but it also means he doesn't have a civilization worth fighting for, so that's double the reason not to sign up.

Therefore, if there are people who *want* to fight because they *want* to defend what is *supposed* to be a civilization worth defending, they should group en-mass and march to Ottawa and explain that there will be no new soldiers until there are some proper guarantees for veteran care, and everyone else should stand behind them.

OR, everyone in the crowd trades places - prospective-soldiers cover the rear while citizens face the authorities - and we explain it to them that way...

Which-ever works better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bcool