Should self-defense be a required part of the curriculum?

Should self-defense be a compulsory part of the school curriculum?

• Yes, along with an option to learn the use of firearms.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Yes, along with an option to learn an empty-handed martial art.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Your thoughts?

I voted the second option above, though I could have voted for the first one too. I suppose my thought is that some kind of self-defene training is reqired, but do feel a litle uncomfortable with firearms training in school. That said, if others pushed for firearms instruction in school, I'd likely not put up much resistance if any.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Option one and two.

We used to take firearms training in high school as part of the army cadet thing. Had a good instructor, and learned how to properly and safely handle a rifle. Not that it enabled me to hit the broad side of a bull's arse, but at least, I missed safely.

:shaking2:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
well sure.....let's teach them kids how to fight and kill at as early an age as possible.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Your thoughts?

I voted the second option above, though I could have voted for the first one too. I suppose my thought is that some kind of self-defene training is reqired, but do feel a litle uncomfortable with firearms training in school. That said, if others pushed for firearms instruction in school, I'd likely not put up much resistance if any.

I'm in favour of all training and education- we teach our kids to swim as a part of ensuring their survival, we teach them skills at survival in the bush - every skill they can learn just makes life that much easier for them. I checked off the top two.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
With the teaching of self defense there should be the teaching of laws also. It is one thing to be able to defend yourself but it is also another thing to go beyond the line to a point of breaking the law.

The teaching of self defense could also give tools for those more agressive types. That is where my doubts would be .

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I'm in favour of all training and education- we teach our kids to swim as a part of ensuring their survival, we teach them skills at survival in the bush - every skill they can learn just makes life that much easier for them. I checked off the top two.
And cooking , home management and home accounting too?
to me these are just as essential imo.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
well sure.....let's teach them kids how to fight and kill at as early an age as possible.

As a method of self-defense Gerry. Nothing wrong with killing if the other bastard starts it and it becomes evident one of you is going to die.

I don't think the school system needs to teach these things.

That what schools are for, TP- teaching. Hell of a lot more useful than Latin and Greek.

And cooking , home management and home accounting too?
to me these are just as essential imo.

YOu betcha, financial management is essential. Most young people today don't have a clue about how to handle money..................as proven by the amount of outstanding debt sucking up 28%........................but here I digress.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That what schools are for, TP- teaching. Hell of a lot more useful than Latin and Greek.

Oh, I missed the part about Latin and Greek. I didn't realize it was a choice between one or the other. In that case, I vote for teaching comparative religion and anal sex techniques.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh, I missed the part about Latin and Greek. I didn't realize it was a choice between one or the other. In that case, I vote for teaching comparative religion and anal sex techniques.

Now you are being stupid, I mentioned things that are already in some curriculums- I don't believe A.S.T. is. :roll::roll::roll:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
No, it should not be a COMPULSORY part of the curriculum. An extracurricular worth some extra credits, now that I'd agree with. But, I can not see the financial pay off to having a fully trained self defense, martial arts, and/or firearms teacher (properly trained as a school teacher on top of it all), in our schools day in day out. It just doesn't make much sense to me from an institutional stand point.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
... how to walk, talk, breath, eat, dress, etc. :)

THAT, ANNA is a hell of an idea, when I go down town or to the mall I see all kinds of young people even into their 20s who don't know how to do any of what you've mentioned PROPERLY. :lol::lol:

No, it should not be a COMPULSORY part of the curriculum. An extracurricular worth some extra credits, now that I'd agree with. But, I can not see the financial pay off to having a fully trained self defense, martial arts, and/or firearms teacher (properly trained as a school teacher on top of it all), in our schools day in day out. It just doesn't make much sense to me from an institutional stand point.

I don't think it needs to be "day in day out", but a couple of hours once a week would be a big improvement. You'd sure see a big decrease in firearms accidents. :smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
... how to walk, talk, breath, eat, dress, etc. :)

Schools don't teach stuff like this anymore. Do you remember your teachers making you tie your shoes up, etc? Now from Kindergarten on, they just let them do whatever they darn well please. You can show up at the end of the day to find kids walking on the heels of thyeir shoes with their laces dragging behind and their pants falling off because the teacher never bothered to tell them to button up after using the washroom. lol.

I don't think it needs to be "day in day out", but a couple of hours once a week would be a big improvement. You'd sure see a big decrease in firearms accidents. :smile:

yeah, teacher's unions don't work that way. You need a teacher, and they also need to be trained in what they're teaching. They won't just show up for a couple hours here and there.

Envision

Jul 27, 2010
Canada
www.elliottenvisions.com
I don't believe in teaching kids violence. To make it mandatory training of any kind creates the aura of fear and violence that kids will expect and can damage them psychologically. But I do believe that it should be encouraged as an extra curricular activity in schools for the purpose of defending oneself from predators.

SPAM (Psychic Spam too) Removed from Post. Please do not do this again...
...but I'm assuming you already knew I was going to post that message.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
THAT, ANNA is a hell of an idea, when I go down town or to the mall I see all kinds of young people even into their 20s who don't know how to do any of what you've mentioned PROPERLY. :lol::lol:
Sieg Heil! lol

Firearms training is mandatory in Canada if you are to own and use one.

Schools don't teach stuff like this anymore. Do you remember your teachers making you tie your shoes up, etc? Now from Kindergarten on, they just let them do whatever they darn well please. You can show up at the end of the day to find kids walking on the heels of thyeir shoes with their laces dragging behind and their pants falling off because the teacher never bothered to tell them to button up after using the washroom. lol.
lol Awesome. I can't say I understand some of the things kids do these days, but I think it's kinda cool regardless. I look at the guys with the tops of their jeans hanging down around mid-butt and I think that can't be comfy and it would drive me nuts, but such is life and each to their own. :D I'd d4raw the line at my kid wandering around with a booger dangling from nose, though. Messy is one thing, hygienic is another.

yeah, teacher's unions don't work that way. You need a teacher, and they also need to be trained in what they're teaching. They won't just show up for a couple hours here and there.
Yup.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sieg Heil! lol

Firearms training is mandatory in Canada if you are to own and use one.

I guess if you make it mandatory that would be limiting people's "rights", but it would be for the better all round good for everyone if some training was mandatory in the schools, and probably no more ridiculous than making Social Studies mandatory.