The Problems With Polygamy

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
An interesting article indicating what happens when the ratio of women to men is upset due to the practice of polygamy or gender preference. It turns out that in societies where polygamy is part of the culture or where male children are selected over female children it leads to serious social problems due to the large numbers of unmarried men who have no prospect of ever marrying. This is already something of a problem in nations like India and China which have chosen to select male children over female when it comes to matters of survival.

The study notes these problems among others.
Increased crime, prostitution and anti-social behaviour. Greater inequality between men and women. Less parental investment in children. And a general driving down of the age of marriage for all women.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Research+indicts+polygamy+harmful/3307218/story.html

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So far as I can see polygamy is only a good thing if you just happen to be one of the chosen males. What I don't understand is why the women don't demand equal rights and have several husbands to do for them.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
An interesting article indicating what happens when the ratio of women to men is upset due to the practice of polygamy or gender preference. It turns out that in societies where polygamy is part of the culture or where male children are selected over female children it leads to serious social problems due to the large numbers of unmarried men who have no prospect of ever marrying. This is already something of a problem in nations like India and China which have chosen to select male children over female when it comes to matters of survival.

Increased crime, prostitution and anti-social behaviour. Greater inequality between men and women. Less parental investment in children. And a general driving down of the age of marriage for all women.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Research+indicts+polygamy+harmful/3307218/story.html
Any social structure that does not revere and honour women is doomed to failure. Women are the life givers and nurturers. Without them, men become not much more than animals. Lord of the Flies comes to mind. When men outnumber women in large numbers, war is inevitable.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
According to wikipedia: The natural sex ratio at birth is estimated to be close to 1.1 males/female. Due to the generally higher life expectancy of females, sex ratio tends to even out in adult population, and result in an excess of females among the elderly (e.g., the male to female ratio falls from 1.05 for the group aged 15 to 65 to 0.70 for the group over 65 in Germany, from 1.00 to 0.72 in the USA, from 1.06 to 0.91 in mainland China and from 1.07 to 1.02 in India).
Human sex ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since men tend to outnumber woman at younger ages, that would tend to support polyandry. Since women tend to outnumber men as the population ages, that would tend to support some degree of polygamy.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
considering that the majority of people today except for those in the Salt Lake area believe that having more than 1 Wife or Husband is immoral and wrong both legally and consiously.. I don't think there is too much to worry about really.

they're the ones that are out to lunch.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Then polyandry and gender preference should be applied to balance stuff out. :)

So far as I can see polygamy is only a good thing if you just happen to be one of the chosen males. What I don't understand is why the women don't demand equal rights and have several husbands to do for them.
Kinda what I said. lol The Amazon idea. Women warriors who used men as toys and slaves. WOOT!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
considering that the majority of people today except for those in the Salt Lake area believe that having more than 1 Wife or Husband is immoral and wrong both legally and consiously.. I don't think there is too much to worry about really.

I don't think it has anything to do with morals or legality. It just does not seem sustainable. OTH a girlfriend or two on the side would be much more interesting.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
If polygyny is so harmful, how did humanity survive for its first few thousands of years without monogamy?

We do not know if monogamy or polygamy was the norm for early man. It is entirely possible that a society practicing monogamy might have some advantage over one that practices polygamy.

Actually polygamy is practiced most widely in traditional Muslim cultures. I suppose that might go a long way to explaining why so many young Muslim men are willing to blow themselves up.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
...... What I don't understand is why the women don't demand equal rights and have several husbands to do for them.

Ah.... nothing like a good ol fashion gangbang after a hard day's work :lol:

:sign10:

I'm not a supporter or opponent of the general sense of Polygamy.... if a group of adults come to their own decisions on what they want in life which involves having multiple relationships at one time, all the power to them..... but I'm against raising children in an environment where they're told this is the norm and they're expected to follow, or even worse, marry or be thrust into a relationship while still minors and not given their own freedom of choice to do what they want...... those people need a good sized baseball bat to the side of their heads to jar some brain cells into action.

I guess one could say I'm more against polygamy then I am in support of it, but my view isn't absolute in either direction..... personally speaking, I couldn't be bothered to deal with such an environment and trying to manage multiple relationships at one time..... just sounds like too much work..... but my views are not everybody's views and everybody has their own preferences in life which are beyond my control.

But at the same time, that brief list of the problems that come from Polygamy..... anybody could bring up a list of problems that come from Monogamy as well...... even remaining single for the rest of your life comes with a list of problems.

Nothing is perfect.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Consenting adults should be free to set up social contracts, marriages, or family units, call them whatever you want, as they see fit.

A society that grants that freedom may end up with some polygamy, some polyandry, some monogamy, some gay marriages, some sexless partnerships... but it will likely end up with balance. In a truly free society polygamy wouldn't be something to fear, because it would be balanced by other arrangements.

Reactions: AnnaG

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Consenting adults should be free to set up social contracts, marriages, or family units, call them whatever you want, as they see fit.

A society that grants that freedom may end up with some polygamy, some polyandry, some monogamy, some gay marriages, some sexless partnerships... but it will likely end up with balance. In a truly free society polygamy wouldn't be something to fear, because it would be balanced by other arrangements.

I see one major problem with it. It would p*ss the wife off. :smile::smile:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

We share the same viewpoint here. What goes on between consenting adults should only concern the consenting adults involved.

I can see some people's lives becoming very complicated, but that would be their choice.

Laws regarding divorce, child custody, survivor benefits... will have to change to accomodate the new personal freedoms.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
We share the same viewpoint here. What goes on between consenting adults should only concern the consenting adults involved.

I can see some people's lives becoming very complicated, but that would be their choice.

Laws regarding divorce, child custody, survivor benefits... will have to change to accomodate the new personal freedoms.

And that right there is most likely the real reason why certain relationships are either illegal or not recognized by the government.... it'd be too much work for them to organize the laws to suit, so they'll just try and find a way to make a certain relationship unjustified so they don't have to bother.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Ah.... nothing like a good ol fashion gangbang after a hard day's work :lol:

:sign10:

I'm not a supporter or opponent of the general sense of Polygamy.... if a group of adults come to their own decisions on what they want in life which involves having multiple relationships at one time, all the power to them..... but I'm against raising children in an environment where they're told this is the norm and they're expected to follow, or even worse, marry or be thrust into a relationship while still minors and not given their own freedom of choice to do what they want...... those people need a good sized baseball bat to the side of their heads to jar some brain cells into action.

I guess one could say I'm more against polygamy then I am in support of it, but my view isn't absolute in either direction..... personally speaking, I couldn't be bothered to deal with such an environment and trying to manage multiple relationships at one time..... just sounds like too much work..... but my views are not everybody's views and everybody has their own preferences in life which are beyond my control.

But at the same time, that brief list of the problems that come from Polygamy..... anybody could bring up a list of problems that come from Monogamy as well...... even remaining single for the rest of your life comes with a list of problems.

Nothing is perfect.

Its up to parents to raise their children and define what is moral or normal. The other issues fall into the category of child abuse and we already have laws for this. The key words here are "consenting adults". Marriage doesn't legalize statutory rape, whether the child is the first, second or more spouse.

Often people who are against allowing other consenting adults the freedom to make personal choices, try to confuse the issue with child abuse which is another issue.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I don't think it has anything to do with morals or legality. It just does not seem sustainable. OTH a girlfriend or two on the side would be much more interesting.
lol It works for us. :) The only glitch in our system is that my gf's bf does not know that her and I and sometimes my hubby get together for a romp sometimes. He thinks she's straight. :D

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
And that right there is most likely the real reason why certain relationships are either illegal or not recognized by the government.... it'd be too much work for them to organize the laws to suit, so they'll just try and find a way to make a certain relationship unjustified so they don't have to bother.

Laws evolve as society evolves. Laws should not hinder personal freedoms. Our personal freedoms which include freedom of choice are guaranteed under Canada's charter.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We do not know if monogamy or polygamy was the norm for early man. It is entirely possible that a society practicing monogamy might have some advantage over one that practices polygamy.
Yeah. Early man is a mystery sometimes as sometimes there is not enough evidence for us to deduce customs, personal habits, local and regional traits, etc. But, there are studies that have been done and presumably still being done that suggest some humans are prone to monogamy and some not. It makes sense to me because some people like different music than others, different sports, colors, etc., too, so why not issues concerning sex and gender?

Actually polygamy is practiced most widely in traditional Muslim cultures. I suppose that might go a long way to explaining why so many young Muslim men are willing to blow themselves up.
Quite. I think the root of that is the dedication to the religions they have.

Certainly!
The sooner humans dump their prescribed prejudices, especially concerning other people's lives, the better lives we can all have. It won't be perfect, because things always are changing, but it'll make for a lot better relationships between people and groups of people. The speedbumps on that road that I see are people's takes on their religions, capitalism/consumerism, politics, and attitudes.

lmao The Peter Principle.

Definitely.

Yeah, they can't grasp the concept of keeping things simple. The simpler it is, the easier it is to handle.

Its up to parents to raise their children and define what is moral or normal. The other issues fall into the category of child abuse and we already have laws for this. The key words here are "consenting adults". Marriage doesn't legalize statutory rape, whether the child is the first, second or more spouse.

Often people who are against allowing other consenting adults the freedom to make personal choices, try to confuse the issue with child abuse which is another issue.
Yup. But what can we foresee? Which actions can have an abusive effect on a child and when? Perhaps something we do now will have an effect show up in a kid a couple decades from now. I think people get caught up in that thought and overreact which causes the tendency to nanny everything and everyone around them. Some of that nannying is ok, but other parts can be fairly harmful. After a few years we decided that our kids were pretty bright, adaptive, and resilient so we pretty much gave them free rein and interfered infrequently when their activities encroached on someone else's freedoms or when it seemed they might be injured or something. And as it turned out there is very little that can shock them and they are quite happy helping people at whatever people want help with.

Laws evolve as society evolves. Laws should not hinder personal freedoms. Our personal freedoms which include freedom of choice are guaranteed under Canada's charter.
Generally, I agree.