Has Harper got the "balls"?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
With the R.C.M.P. officially finding no wrong doing on Helena Guergis' part, is Harper man enough to reinstate her to her position and make a public apology?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Given Harper's secretive and controlling nature I would be very surprised to see him respond in any way. And there is still the matter of Ms. Guergis's husband. That is enough to keep anyone out of a cabinet position.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Given Harper's secretive and controlling nature I would be very surprised to see him respond in any way. And there is still the matter of Ms. Guergis's husband. That is enough to keep anyone out of a cabinet position.

Apparently he is also officially squeaky clean.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Another issue is how she went looking for sympathy in the media after this all came down. It seemed like an attempt to salvage her reputation and she didn't care if it made her old boss/party look bad. That kind of "loyalty" doesn't always work in your favour...

I wouldn't be surprised if they offer to bring her back into caucus but she'll be a backbencher for a long time.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Another issue is how she went looking for sympathy in the media after this all came down. It seemed like an attempt to salvage her reputation and she didn't care if it made her old boss/party look bad. .

Harper sullied her reputation in the media, so I think what is "good for the goose is good for the gander" (or vice versa) :smile::smile:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Harper sullied her reputation in the media, so I think what is "good for the goose is good for the gander" (or vice versa) :smile::smile:

Guergis undermined her own reputation all herself. Her husband also rode a fine line in publicly leveraging his wife's existing contacts and his former contacts in an attempt to broker public money for the business community.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Geurgis' actions and lifestyle are the party norm. That's why they are called "parties".

Think about it. Who would get into politics if there were no sex, drugs and easy money?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I don't disagree.... But....

Helena got caught (ie PEI tirade) and Jaffer did her no favours in terms of asking Helena to support and promote his client in her riding.

Sadly, politics is more about optics and opportunity more than it is about policy and the greater good.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sadly, politics is more about optics and opportunity more than it is about policy and the greater good.
You're kidding, right? They'd never do that would they? They would really put themselves and business intersets before you or me? But we have a piece of paper that says.....

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Sad but true...

But you can take solace in the fact that not only are these buffoons devoid of any moral or ethical compass, they are generally without any business acumen whatsoever... Chances, their private business are on a one-way trip down to the bankruptcy trustee's office to file for protection.

Case in point, Helena and Rahim will likely be forced to sell their Ottawa home (you remember; the one that required an $800K mortgage that neither could likely support).

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
steve nor any of his lackys have what it takes to admit they made a mistake.

Well, I would rather have a government like the Conservatives that reacts to a whiff of corruption, rather than a government like the Liberals that wallows in corruption.

Like the Conservatives or not, they have been relativey clean......

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think she sullied her own reputation, screaming, throwing shoes, etc etc.

Letting her husband use a government issued Blackberry for lobbying purposes didn't help.

Whether she did anything that warrants a criminal investigation, she's a liability to any political party.