Does Canada need a more aggressive population control policy?

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
While it is necessary for the government to allow a certain number of immigrants into the country in order to sustain increase economic growth, there is of course the down side. We in Canada value our large open spaces and the great outdoors and make this part of our identity. At some point however, we should decide where we draw the line between aggressively seeking economic growth and maintaining the abundance of natural resources we all enjoy.

What do you all think? Are we where we should be with regards to population? Should we seek to scale it back, or can we afford more?

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
I wouldn't say we have any problems. it's just out east.

Lots and lots of open land out West! Alberta and Saskatchewan alone can handle 10-15 Million more!

come on out! :D

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Eliminating politicians, lawyers and used car salesmen would make a significant reduction in the populwtion to allow for some useful immigration.
Why do we need economic growth? Why can't we be happy with what we got? Economic groth requires the destruction of our environment. When do we say enough is enough when it comes to stuff we don't really need, like more than one TV, One ATV, one car, one Micro Wave oven, etc, etc. We don't have a population problem, we have a consumption problem.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I second that Chil, we have room enough for thousands out here and maybe if we had more people our rural areas would not be faced with losing services such as is happening now.

The problem seems to be that immigrants to Canada, by and large, tend to move to the larger centers. You can't legislate where people chose to live.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Let me guess.... educational standards for who we let breed as well as vote? lol.

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
Let me guess.... educational standards for who we let breed as well as vote? lol.

That's a good idea! Tommy Douglas would be proud. I do however support educational standards for those who wish to enter Canada.

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
Gimme a # though. For those who say come on it, how many is enough? 50 Million? 75 Million? I know Canada can hold a lot of people, but that does not mean we should. I think Cliffy and I have thus far disagreed a lot, but I am more in line with his thinking on this issue. Our environment stability needs to be the biggest of considerations when planning future population growth. I think it prudent on the part of the government to plan for the worst. In doing so, we should be able to have a balance whereby we are fully self sustainable. The more people we have, the less sustainable we are. I know it's an unlikely event, but if/when something majorly catastrophic happens, we need to rely on what nature has given us, and the less of that we have, the more desperate we become.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
To bad there are laws that might find population control discriminatory. Look what is happening in Arizona. Your supposed to be more liberal about this than us, and till that catastrophe occurs that forces us to limit population growth and consumption, we will all just continue on. Were not a very smart species.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
To bad there are laws that might find population control discriminatory. Look what is happening in Arizona. Your supposed to be more liberal about this than us, and till that catastrophe occurs that forces us to limit population growth and consumption, we will all just continue on. Were not a very smart species.
That is why I keep praying for divine intervention. But I think Momma is smart enough to take care of the problem. Looks to me like she has already started.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Yo screw around anytime, anywhere, with anybody. You get knocked up.

You run to the nearest abbotoir clinic. You get an abortion. Paid by the taxpayers.

Any questions about frivolous and unrestricted?

Only by fools.

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
That is why I keep praying for divine intervention. But I think Momma is smart enough to take care of the problem. Looks to me like she has already started.

That could make you a gonner though......hopefully she keeps her interventions far from BC...8O

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I have an idea, maybe threads about abortion should be used to speak about abortion. Unless someone thinks we need more abortion, that topic isn't really germane at all to this discussion. The only form of population control we have as a country is the immigration of new Canadians. I don't think that we need to change anything, except to base garden variety immigration on economic factors.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
That could make you a gonner though......hopefully she keeps her interventions far from BC...8O
Sorry, but BC is a major contributor to environmental destruction, especially since Gordo gave away all our creeks and rivers to international rapers and pillagers in the form of IPPs. It is bad enough that we raped our forests and destroyed our fisheries, now we are going to kill off the rest of our fish by damning up all our water ways. Gordo is a criminal hell bent on turning BC into a desolate wasteland of corporate greed.

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
Yo screw around anytime, anywhere, with anybody. You get knocked up.

You run to the nearest abbotoir clinic. You get an abortion. Paid by the taxpayers.

Any questions about frivolous and unrestricted?

Only by fools.

Abortion is a little off topic, but just to correct you:

"If you've lived in BC for less than three months (or you're not a resident), the cost for an early abortion is about $450 to $600. Some of that may be reimbursable once you qualify for BC's medical plan. Also, some but not all provinces will reimburse former residents who have abortions in BC, but who have lived in BC for less than three months."

" Most abortions are done in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy—the first trimester. A few doctors in BC do abortions on request up to about 20 or 22 weeks, as well as a few clinics in Ontario, Quebec, and Washington State. Abortions are also available after 22 weeks in the rare event that your life or health becomes seriously threatened by the pregnancy, or in cases of serious fetal abnormality."

THE PRO-CHOICE ACTION NETWORK

As you can see, there are clearly restrictions as well as costs to the user of the service in certain circumstances.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
ansutherland, be that as it may.

Since 1973 about 3.5 million Canadian babies have been aborted.

Do you think that that does not play a significant factor in our population?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
ansutherland, be that as it may.

Since 1973 about 3.5 million Canadian babies have been aborted.

Do you think that that does not play a significant factor in our population?
You can also look at it form the stand point of resources saved, money saved, and less crime caused by unwanted children, which is more to the pint of the OP than your whining.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Cliffy, you can also look at it from the standpoint that those who would have not been butchered by abortion between 1973 and 1992 would have been and still be tax-paying citizens.