Taxed to death

pussnboots

Jul 9, 2010
The harder we work, the more tax we are hit with. So then we work harder and get hit with more taxes.
Dalton has now imputed an eco tax on all sprays, all green products that we have been encouraged to buy like light bulbs, Soap, shampoos, medications, cleaners, and more. This is on top of the HST and also took effect July 1.
We now spend how much time working to pay our bills to keep afloat?
What about the little guy or a woman who lives alone. The cost of a roof over your head, insurance for a car, I just got 2 hydro bills with a grand total of over six hundred dollars.
When are people going to stand together and say enough is enough.
Who gets the free ride? CRIMINALS THATS WHO
CRIMINALS RECEIVE FREE room and board, 3 meals a day, cable tv, clean clothes, medical, dental, education, air conditioning ......AND GET MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT WHILE THEY ARE THERE. WHERE IS THE PUNISHMENT?
Canadians who work there tail off who are good honest and hard working are taxed to death and have to pay for all these luxuries.
All the things we need to stay clean have an added tax on them. So if we didn't wash our clothes, hair, showered, bathed, shaved... how long would it take for the Dalton tax to be removed.
If we stood together and all of us took every Friday off and stayed at home and didn't drive or buy ANYTHING after a month how many millions would the government not have to waste in spending.
CANADIANS FORGET OUR TAX DOLLARS LINE THEIR POCKETS.
THEY HAVE ADDED ALL THESE CHEMICALS TO OUR FOOD THAT IS MAKING US SICK. THEN WE HAVE TO PAY TO BECOME HEALTHY. I DON'T REMEMBER AGREEING TO BE A TEST RAT. AND THAT IS WHAT WE ARE. WE ARE LAB RATS. THEY PUT IT IN OUR FOOD AND SEE HOW SICK WE GET AND WHAT DISEASES IT CAUSES.
WE ARE ALSO BECOMING SLAVES. WE WORK HARD AND THEY TAKE IT AWAY FROM US. THE MORE WE MAKE TO MORE THEY TAKE.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I feel your pain.

really.

Being retired and on a fixed income, I just pile the money up next to the open door at the end of each month, and watch it as it gently wafts away, dashing in now and then to grasp a fiver for groceries. Or a tenner for a six pack of Carlings cheapest suds.

The wife's taken to wearing her hair in curlers, and I've gotten rather fond of my old sleeveless undershirt. The one with the hole.

Doesn't seem to be any end to the bullshyte of McLiar. What he's hoping is that we all remember Harris, and therefore, not having a viable alternative, will vote Liberal. Hudak is just Harris light, and will rob and steal just like McLiar.........Maybe worst eh!

..............And, he's probably right.

Suk it up. Like a good Kannuk.

:shaking2:

Muz

Jul 9, 2010
I used to be GST PST off, now I'm HSTerical!

The biggest tax grab in history perpetrated on the Ontario taxpayers without a whimper while we were all downtown protesting some faceless global boogyman (and getting bitch-slapped for it).

Anyone think that timing was accidental?8O

I have a problem with the government taking more of my money at the till and having to rely on them to give me back my fair share when it suits them. Isn't that sort of (well, exactly) an obscenely huge source of interest-free capital for the government?

Wait, it's not interest free...WE are paying the interest when we buy a new house, a car, or charge on our credit cards...

We'll be paying the interest on that money, and when (Hooray!!!) the rebate cheque arrives, we'll need it to catch up on our credit cad payments or buy food but we'll likely buy some big ticket item instead and give them 13% of it back.

And we have to trust them on that magic formula for calculating our rebates that will probably be the number they'll forever play with to avoid obvious vote-killing "tax increases".

Muz

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The easiest way to not be sucked under by bills and debt is don't have bills or debt.

The electorate has 30 days to legally petition and reject anything passed by a province.

So? Who has the balls, money for lawyers, and time to fight them?

Muz

Jul 9, 2010
The easiest way to not be sucked under by bills and debt is don't have bills or debt.

The electorate has 30 days to legally petition and reject anything passed by a province.

Well, one out of three....:lol:

That's the thing, where was the Ontario opposition hiding while this was going down? In BC they're all over them.

It's easy to say, "don't have bills or debt" but how many can buy and furnish a home, have a reliable car, and raise a family without it?
You can't even get a mortgage without establishing a credit history.

Muz

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

BC does. We have put up the good fight and we may have this HST taken away from us. Once the gov't has counted all the votes (and we have more than enough) against the HST, it could be gone. Most of us are counting on it. Then the feeling is that once it's gone, so will Gordo be.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Well, how can anyone argue with that profound bit of oratory?:tongue5:

Muz

Same to the constant bitching and whining about taxation in this country.

There are a few solutions, realize the overall benefit, move to a more tax friendly country or revolt.

Most don't so any of those things.

Oh boo hoo, I'm on a fixed income and can't make ends meet....boo hoo...it's the governments fault that I didn't make enough to retire on....boo hoo...or I am unwilling to work at a senior age...boo hoo.

My Dad is 81 and still works part time from his home office.

Muz

Jul 9, 2010

There are a few solutions, realize the overall benefit, move to a more tax friendly country or revolt.

Oh boo hoo, I'm on a fixed income and can't make ends meet....boo hoo...it's the governments fault that I didn't make enough to retire on....boo hoo...or I am unwilling to work at a senior age...boo hoo.

No, I'm talking about the working people who are taxed to death not the fixed income people who are paying the least taxes and receive the most rebates, I'm talking about those of use who earn moderate incomes but still can't get ahead of the infernal tax man. Work some overtime and see what you net from it.

But mostly I "whine" about real things like the interest burden for all that sales tax money that Canadians will have to bear.

I sure hope your dad is working from home at 81 because he wants to, not because he needs to.

But if you also want to look at how the CPP has been mismanaged, that's fodder for another thread.

Muz

Reactions: DurkaDurka

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

What, so people should stfu and be complacent while the government steals their money? What are these benefits anyways?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well, one out of three....:lol:

That's the thing, where was the Ontario opposition hiding while this was going down? In BC they're all over them.
Muz

And did that do any good? My understanding is that HST went ahead in BC, same as in Ontario. And rightly too, in my opinion. Taxation and economic issues are not something that should be decided by a referendum.

Everybody likes to bitch about taxation, it is fashionable to do so, I suppose. Personally I don’t have a problem with taxation; there can be no civilization without taxation. If there had been no taxation, we all would still be living in caves.

So I don’t think taxation by itself is evil. What we must be vigilant is that the tax money is spent properly. While I am adamantly opposed to budget deficit, I have no problem with taxation.

Specifically with reference to HST, there are arguments both for and against harmonization. Several provinces enacted harmonization a while ago and it seems to be working pretty well there, there has been very little outcry or concerted opposition.

So HST is here to stay, get used to it.

Muz

Jul 9, 2010
move to a more tax friendly country or revolt.

Well, there are two things people will do.

First, like you said, move to a more tax friendly country, or in other words take my business elsewhere. What does that do to the tax revenues, then when people move away? They're forwarding their pension cheques, taking their investment earnings with them and still using their OHIP if they work it right!

And how much money will NOT be spent here because people choose a more tax friendly country or province to reside or to do business?

Second, cash is king. Avoidance of the tax will increase.

The tax system is far too complicated and opaque to the average person as it is. Now we have an overlay of rebates to have to figure out...

Muz

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Everybody likes to bitch about taxation, it is fashionable to do so, I suppose. Personally I don’t have a problem with taxation; there can be no civilization without taxation. If there had been no taxation, we all would still be living in caves.

Yes, you are certainly an obedient liberal, but the rule of law is the cornerstone of civilization, not taxation. Taxes pay for the rule of law, but if you remember, the total rate of taxation that brought down the Roman empire was approximately 10%, and the rate that instigated the Boston Tea Party was between 6% and 8%, (and we weren't living in caves). We are far beyond that now.

Several provinces enacted harmonization a while ago and it seems to be working pretty well there, there has been very little outcry or concerted opposition.

So HST is here to stay, get used to it.

Yup, ours just went back up to 15%, and I deal in cash now more than ever, we do adapt.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I agree with SJP. Do you like roads, schools, a military??? I'd happily pay my taxes if I thought they were being spent responsibly. I'm not happy picking up the tab for Harper's recent $1B cocktail party which turned downtown Toronto into a mini police state.

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
This is whiners central. I like the comment about not having lots of bills and debt in the first place. We spend spend spend, then complain that it's hard to get by. I also hear a ton of people saying "a house use to cost X, now it costs way more than that compared to our incomes!" Ya, and a house in the 50's was a third the size of one today and not built to as good of standards. If you wanna live like it's the 50's, go ahead......you will save a ton. If you wanna live in the modern age with all the amenities of today, it'll cost ya.

As far as not having money for retirement, well, I feel for some, but for most, you have yourself to blame. We have it pretty good in this country, and if you can't manage to carve out a pretty good life for yourself here, then you couldn't do it anywhere.

The HST is not a tax grab by the way.......ask an economist before buying into the conspiracy theories.....and Bill VanDerzam is not an expert on the matter.

As for prisoners getting the good life while everyone else suffers through life, I can understand that to some extent, but I do work in a prison, and I can tell you, it's not a good place to live.