Liberal Elite - Will none of you rid of us of this embarrassment to the Country

Igg leadership

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Liberal Elite - Will none of you rid of us of this embarrassment to the Country

And no wonder Canadians do not trust him. We can see where he stands - One day it is on this side of the line the next it is the other side of the line. What an FFFn Embarrassment this man is to Canada.

Ezra Levant: Michael Ignatieff, former human rights professor | Full Comment | National Post

I have chosen just a few excerpts from Igg's stand on China

In a 2005 lecture to Amnesty Ireland, Ignatieff made a short list of countries that he called human rights “outliers” and he named just three: Libya, North Korea and China. That’s tantamount to calling China a rogue state

Even after he became an MP in 2006, Ignatieff spoke sternly of China’s lack of basic freedoms, telling the Georgia Strait that, if he could, he would ask the Chinese government, “Do you really want to build your prosperity on slavery?” And as recently as this year he told Calgary students that Canada must speak out against human rights violations, no matter where they happen. “Just because China is big and powerful doesn’t mean that Canada should back down on this issue.”

Disparaging Canada overseas is a sign of weakness. But Ignatieff’s most bizarre comment was much more dangerous: He said China and Canada can “learn from each other in matters of rights, justice, civil service reform and corporate social responsibility.”
Pardon?

Ignatieff heaps false praise on China, saying its newfound prosperity — for at least part of the country — “has been one of the most significant advances in human rights for mankind ever.” A higher standard of living is indeed a good thing. But what does that have to do with human rights like the freedom to criticize the government, or to organize a political rally, or to believe in a religion that doesn’t have the Communist Party’s approval? Is Ignatieff really comparing China’s material wealth — at $10/day, their per capita GDP is still quite modest by international levels — to the freedoms protected in the Magna Carta or the American Revolution or the Enlightenment?

Ignatieff falsely disparaged Canada’s human rights achievements. He falsely lauded China’s human rights achievements. And then he falsely implied a moral equivalence between our two countries — that we are moral equals, and can learn from each other about matters like justice.

Beijing's Canadian apologist

When running for the Liberal leadership in 2006, Mr. Ignatieff accused Prime Minister Stephen Harper of indulging in "megaphone diplomacy" for his harsh, public criticism of the Communist regime's human rights record. Mr. Harper refused to make an official visit to China early in his premiership because China was censoring the Internet, stifling democracy and brutally suppressing its critics.

Mr. Ignatieff told his Chinese hosts that "in October 1966, as a young student, I helped organize a teach-in on China that attracted several thousand people to the University of Toronto to study the unfolding crisis of the Cultural Revolution ... I learned from that experience how difficult it is to understand China from the outside."

Hundreds of thousands of innocent Chinese citizens were murdered or starved to death during the Cultural Revolution, part of a larger pattern of Communist crimes against humanity that caused tens of millions of deaths. We're not sure why denouncing such crimes is especially "difficult."

According to Mr. Ignatieff, the experts at his 1966 event saw the Cultural Revolution -- an event that even many people in mainland China now regard as barbaric -- as "positive ... the needed renewal of a revolution stifled by bureaucracy." While he acknowledged that "violence and chaos" ensued, he assigned no moral weight or culpability to the Maoist perpetrators' actions whatsoever. Instead, he just moved breezily on to other flatteries of China.

Mr. Ignatieff now seems eager to return to his weak-kneed roots and take on the see-no-evil mantle of his Liberal predecessors. This may gain him a few votes, but is a denial of the torture and terror China inflicts on all those it punishes for their thoughts. It is a sad and somewhat pathetic moment for a political leader who once was sold to the Canadian public as an icon of principle, and an expert on human rights.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Best vote getter the cons ever had and he works for free. Well almost, since the taxpayers give him a healthy paycheque every month. But the cons could not afford this kind of promotion out of their own pocket.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Iggy? Harper? Is there a difference? Elite liberal or elite conservative. Can you really tell the difference or are you just blowing smoke up your own butt? These clowns get paid big bucks to have you hate them. Do you really think they care what you think?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Such posts, trashing the Liberals, by conservative posters appear here with some regularity. It makes me wonder, do they serve any purpose (other than tooting the horn of their own party)?

Do these people think that Canadians will vote for Harper if they can convince the Canadian what a scumbag the Liberal leader is? But I suppose that is all they have left; they don’t have a hope in Hell to convince Canadians what a great guy Harper is. They have a weak leader in Harper, who harbors extreme right wing tendencies. The only way Conservatives can hope to get the votes is to convince Canadians that Harper is not as bad as others.

According to such posters, there has not been a single good Liberal PM in Canada; they are all a bunch of thieves, Spawn of the Devil. Every liberal PM ruined Canada as a nation, according to these extreme partisans. According to the same posters, all the conservative PMs have been positively saints, economic geniuses, Mulroney and Harper being the latest.

But then the question arises, if Harper is such a perfect PM, if he has brought paradise to Canada, and if Iggy is such a Spawn of the Devil, why does Harper still not command majority? Could it be that their icon, their Messiah is not perfect?

But I suppose that is in keeping with the partisan, poisonous atmosphere of politics today. Drag the other guy down into the mud, that makes your own guy look pretty good by comparison.

Conservatives are borrowing the Republicans politics of personal destruction big time here in Canada. It remains to be seen if Canadian buy it and give them the majority.

Best vote getter the cons ever had and he works for free. Well almost, since the taxpayers give him a healthy paycheque every month. But the cons could not afford this kind of promotion out of their own pocket.

The best vote getter cons have ever had, and still cons are running neck and neck with Liberals in polls? Doesn't that say something about the cons?

Reactions: DichotoMe

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Anyone who's any party zealot is an embarrassment to the country.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Iggy? Harper? Is there a difference? Elite liberal or elite conservative. Can you really tell the difference or are you just blowing smoke up your own butt? These clowns get paid big bucks to have you hate them. Do you really think they care what you think?
Cliffy - Exactly -

Such posts, trashing the Liberals, by conservative posters appear here with some regularity. It makes me wonder, do they serve any purpose (other than tooting the horn of their own party)?

Do these people think that Canadians will vote for Harper if they can convince the Canadian what a scumbag the Liberal leader is? But I suppose that is all they have left; they don’t have a hope in Hell to convince Canadians what a great guy Harper is. They have a weak leader in Harper, who harbors extreme right wing tendencies. The only way Conservatives can hope to get the votes is to convince Canadians that Harper is not as bad as others.

According to such posters, there has not been a single good Liberal PM in Canada; they are all a bunch of thieves, Spawn of the Devil. Every liberal PM ruined Canada as a nation, according to these extreme partisans. According to the same posters, all the conservative PMs have been positively saints, economic geniuses, Mulroney and Harper being the latest.

But then the question arises, if Harper is such a perfect PM, if he has brought paradise to Canada, and if Iggy is such a Spawn of the Devil, why does Harper still not command majority? Could it be that their icon, their Messiah is not perfect?

But I suppose that is in keeping with the partisan, poisonous atmosphere of politics today. Drag the other guy down into the mud, that makes your own guy look pretty good by comparison.

Conservatives are borrowing the Republicans politics of personal destruction big time here in Canada. It remains to be seen if Canadian buy it and give them the majority.

The best vote getter cons have ever had, and still cons are running neck and neck with Liberals in polls? Doesn't that say something about the cons?

Remember - You finally admitted that you do not believe I am a Conservative - I voted green in the last election - Yes Lizzie May is a space cadet but so what.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Such posts, trashing the Liberals, by conservative posters appear here with some regularity.
It's ok, Joey. There's enough Glibs like you and Libman around to balance things out. And you post with enough vehemence and malice for 3 people anyway.

Anyway, 6 of one and half dozen of the other. Politics in Canuckville is ludicrous and we can thank our politicians (of any brand) for that.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
ya, I don't have to be a conservative supporter to be liked ok?

I hate them.. :wav:

You "hate" Conservative supporters???????

Perhaps you would care to expand on that statement............you know, clarify for us.......

Or are you just like most of the posters from the former Natural Governing Party......and would really prefer a one-party nanny state?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

SJP

Have you read the article - Your opinion on it is?

I realize that you limit yourself to certain media but all media follows certain characteristics

Story - Hype the story - more readers - up the advert rev
Slant - They all do that - some more so than others.
Hype - By Radio TV - Little hints, mostly BullS with the " News at 11 crap.

Lastly - Iggy this time went to far in his sucking up to the Chinese.

What can we learn from China on Human Rights
Iggy goes to China and states we are moral equals - Really
He sees the Cultural Revolution as a Positive influence - Perhaps he could do that with the Liberal Party as they could use a purge ot the Party Elite, and I ain't talking Ex-Lax

Now you attack the messenger - Conservatives or not to defend this - You cannot defend the message so you resort to innuendo. Typical Liberal Attitude - We are the best for the country - You are entitled to free speech of course as long as it agrees with the Party Line.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
You "hate" Conservative supporters???????

Perhaps you would care to expand on that statement............you know, clarify for us.......

Or are you just like most of the posters from the former Natural Governing Party......and would really prefer a one-party nanny state?

sorry, when I say them.. I meant the Conservative Party itself.

no i just don't want a Conservative Govt running this country.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
sorry, when I say them.. I meant the Conservative Party itself.

no i just don't want a Conservative Govt running this country.

Much better, and I understand the emotion.

However, then I look at the alternatives, and renew my Conservative Party of Canada membership, and write them a nice cheque.

Ignatieff almost had me........but he turned out to be another typical bloody Liberal..........all I wanted was some common sense on gun control, on the military, on foreign affairs, on China..........what I got was a complete flip-flop on the issues from a guy that spent his life "searching for Canada" in the United Kingdom and Massachusetts..........perhaps someone should buy the dumbarse a map......

But I digress...

The guy is an elitist, he has changed direction on every single issue from his stance before he came to Canada to accept the crown.....can't stand him.

Oh, and here's something to read!

You have no idea how much I would be filled with glee to see the Liberals crucified, and a Conservative majority because of this issue:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/832686--hebert-gun-registry-duel-could-take-stephen-harper-to-brink-of-majority

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Cliffy - Exactly -

Remember - You finally admitted that you do not believe I am a Conservative - I voted green in the last election - Yes Lizzie May is a space cadet but so what.

Where did I admit that, Goober? Mind you, i also don't recall saying that you are a conservative. You just seem to have this penchant to attack Liberals. That would indicate (though not prove) that you indeed are a conservative.