Question about asbestos.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
From my understanding, asbestos is considered so dangerous that its use is banned in Canada, yet we export it to other countries.

If this is the case, how can we tolerate this? Also, I'd be curious whether this might even be in violation of some law or other, be it a national or international one. And if so, how we can bring this law to the attention of the public as a means of embarrassing the government.

Any thoughts on this?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Pressuring the gov't to ban an export? Good luck. I think the best bet would be to use international law to pressure the gov't to ban asbestos. The other way would be to pressure other gov'ts to ban the import of it.
Any which way you do it, good luck.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So long as it's being sold to China, I say give'er. it's just desserts for the toxic crap they send us.

she says with no hint of seriousness

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I believe we should stop the trade

Canada's deadly trade in asbestos

but its cheap :(

And how do we do that if it's perfectly legal? Unless there is already a law in place, either provincial, federal or international, there is no way to stop it legally. Of course the Quebec and Canadian governments would likely oppose such a law for obvious reasons. In that case, the only option left would be to push for a WHO resolution against it, but then that would likely require a concerted letter writing campaign, petition, or more likely a combination of the two.

And even a resolution does not have legal force, only moral force. Though. Though I suppose that would be a good start to at least try to embarrass the government.

And seeing that many Canadians would likely oppose this, this would likely need to be a world-wide letter writing campaign and petition. Some Canadians would certainly sign it, but I think global support would be needed for its success. Again, even a simple WHO resolution would already be a small step forward at least.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It's OK, we're not the States.

What? Canadian asbestos is benign while US asbestos kills? What, your farts smell like roses?

Pressuring the gov't to ban an export? Good luck. I think the best bet would be to use international law to pressure the gov't to ban asbestos. The other way would be to pressure other gov'ts to ban the import of it.
Any which way you do it, good luck.

But the question is, is there an international law against this already?

To the best of my knowledge, it's legal. So it makes it hard to oppose Canada on legal grounds. Then there is the option of getting a WTO resolution against it passed. But again, since resolutions carry not legal, but only moral authority, a resolution, while potentially embarrassing the government, would still not have any legal teeth. But hey, it would be a small step forward I suppose.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The usual anti States types brushed it off the other day in a different thread. While condemning the use of DU in armour piercing tank rounds.

So it seems it's OK, cause we aren't the States.

Well, the thread was about DU and not asbestos after all. I'm not likely going to be discussing DU any more in this thread as I am to discuss asbestos in the other.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
lol.. Bear, now you see why I pointed out I wasn't being serious... lol
Ya, I should have made that clear too apparently...

Well, the thread was about DU and not asbestos after all. I'm not likely going to be discussing DU any more in this thread as I am to discuss asbestos in the other.
That's awesome Mach, I only mentioned it to clarify my position for someone who asked.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So what are your thoughts on this, Care Bear? Do you think Canada should be allowed to export a substance it bans on its own soil?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The usual anti States types brushed it off the other day in a different thread. While condemning the use of DU in armour piercing tank rounds.

So it seems it's OK, cause we aren't the States.
Ooooohhh. Guess I missed the discussion. lol Yeah, hypocrisy abounds at times.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
What? Canadian asbestos is benign while US asbestos kills? What, your farts smell like roses?
lol He was being sarcastic again.

But the question is, is there an international law against this already?
I have no idea. Read em and pick one. Must be something in there about one country doing needless harm to another country's citizenry.

To the best of my knowledge, it's legal.
Until it isn't. Fighting the legality of things on a legal basis is how legal things become illegal.
So it makes it hard to oppose Canada on legal grounds. Then there is the option of getting a WTO resolution against it passed. But again, since resolutions carry not legal, but only moral authority, a resolution, while potentially embarrassing the government, would still not have any legal teeth. But hey, it would be a small step forward I suppose.
Get enough countries pissed off at one for doing a nasty against another country and fertilizer starts hitting the atmospheric propulsion. It sometimes even results in boycotts and stuff

Ya, I should have made that clear too apparently...

That's awesome Mach, I only mentioned it to clarify my position for someone who asked.
lol Clarify your position? All I got was a directionless voice in the dark. lol You and your position were invisible. Blonde moment I guess, I hadn't a clue about what you were talking about.

Exactly how old are you? Can I expect something more mature in the near future, or is this about it?
lmao Good thing my cup's empty. I likely would have spewed coffee out my nose if it wasn't.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
From my understanding, asbestos is considered so dangerous that its use is banned in Canada, yet we export it to other countries.

If this is the case, how can we tolerate this? Also, I'd be curious whether this might even be in violation of some law or other, be it a national or international one. And if so, how we can bring this law to the attention of the public as a means of embarrassing the government.

Any thoughts on this?

My understand is there are two types of asbestos, one type more dangerous than the other. As far as I know asbestos in solid form like a sheet is safe, but if you start sawing it or drilling it you are asking for trouble. It's the dust that is deadly. That is my scant knowledge of the matter.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
If (and we all know it is) asbestos is banned in this country, why are we handling it at all? Is there a danger to the health of those who work in - what - asbestos mines?

Last edited: