Fortress Toronto Canada’s Version Of Tenement Square

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

Downtown Toronto is under siege where a high security fence all around the downtown core and for those that work and live in that area their rights have been temporarily suspended until Monday when all the leaders leave.

The mainstream news will be covering the leaders of this conference but who will tell the story of the protesters who are described by federal safety minister Stockwell Day as anarchist and thugs.

The protesters have stated that they have heard stories that undercover police will be in the crowd trying to get them to be violent just so the police can arrest them faster.

Canada has spent almost a billion dollars on security more than any country has spent on any G20 event.

Military and all three levels of police and then some will be there in the area ready to put down any violence that the protesters are willing to start.

Protesters will have their signs and banners; they also will have their grease paint and their vials of fake blood so they can look pretty for the TV cameras that will be there to cover their plight.

The protesters have started their activities and it will intensify dramatically on the weekend.

If anybody is in downtown Toronto and sees anything let the rest of the Canadian Content community know so we can know the whole story.

June 21
Two community activists and organizer were arrested, intimidated
and detained for hours at a converted film studio earlier today. Elaborate
charges were placed upon them. All the unfounded charges have now been
dropped and the two organizers are free.

4 activists were also harassed and pushed around and their flag poles were
seized without notice.

The demonstration was organized by a group of autonomous anti-poverty
organizations, SOS, KCAP and SAFE
A gas station was symbolically occupied
for a few minutes with the march finally heading to Children’s Aids
Services HQ.

we see the direct effects of global capitalism
on our friends and loved ones, who are being denied food, childcare,
affordable housing, harm reduction information and other basic rights one of the protesters said

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
If anybody is in downtown Toronto and sees anything let the rest of the Canadian Content community know so we can know the whole story.

i was there monday, i was visiting the mexican consulate at commerce court and let me tell you the amount of security was unreal. And not to mention every second door was locked... lots of stupid detours...what the hell?

that and i heard they closed down the don mills highway

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

Downtown Toronto is under siege where a high security fence all around the downtown core and for those that work and live in that area their rights have been temporarily suspended until Monday when all the leaders leave.

The mainstream news will be covering the leaders of this conference but who will tell the story of the protesters who are described by federal safety minister Stockwell Day as anarchist and thugs.

The protesters have stated that they have heard stories that undercover police will be in the crowd trying to get them to be violent just so the police can arrest them faster.

Canada has spent almost a billion dollars on security more than any country has spent on any G20 event.

Military and all three levels of police and then some will be there in the area ready to put down any violence that the protesters are willing to start.

Protesters will have their signs and banners; they also will have their grease paint and their vials of fake blood so they can look pretty for the TV cameras that will be there to cover their plight.

The protesters have started their activities and it will intensify dramatically on the weekend.

June 21
Two community activists and organizer were arrested, intimidated
and detained for hours at a converted film studio earlier today. Elaborate
charges were placed upon them. All the unfounded charges have now been
dropped and the two organizers are free.

4 activists were also harassed and pushed around and their flag poles were
seized without notice.

The demonstration was organized by a group of autonomous anti-poverty
organizations, SOS, KCAP and SAFE
A gas station was symbolically occupied
for a few minutes with the march finally heading to Children’s Aids
Services HQ.

we see the direct effects of global capitalism
on our friends and loved ones, who are being denied food, childcare,
affordable housing, harm reduction information and other basic rights one of the protesters said

These demonstrators have nothing better to do? Don't they work? All they are is troublemakers. Take away the tv cameras and the protestors will disappear. Its the media who are stiring the pot. As far as I am concerned, they break the law, they should be arrested. These no good lowlifes really tick me off.....

i was there monday, i was visiting the mexican consulate at commerce court and let me tell you the amount of security was unreal. And not to mention every second door was locked... lots of stupid detours...what the hell?

that and i heard they closed down the don mills highway
Well you heard wrong. The Don VALLEY PARKWAY hasn't been closed.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
It is a separate issue as to whether we should have had the G20 summit in Downtown Toronto in the first place (e.g. why not have it on the periphery of Toronto, or in a smaller place? It would be much easier to provide security there).

However, once it was decided, it is incumbent upon the Canadian government to provide utmost security. If there is a terrorist act during the summit, or if any of the world leaders are attacked, it will result in considerable loss of prestige on part of Canada. So whatever measures are necessary for security government must take them.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
All that security would mean squat if a nuke was dropped on TO during the meetings, but then, it wouldn't be much of a loss (except for the innocent bystanders). The ones who are really in control won't be there.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
June 22
gay rights protesters marched through the downtown shopping district in carnival gear to demand global leaders address minority issues.
.Protesters said they were trying to draw attention to the rights of all minority populations marginalized because of their gender, sexuality or socio-economic status

Toronto Police have uncovered caches of the potential weapons that violent demonstrators used in past protests

The water projection system will help support the public order units to control large crowds during major events,” said OPP

it's really not fun to experience the eye-watering, cough-inducing effects of tear gas
If your eyes are unprotected, then that's the next biggest thing that you notice. Your membranes start tearing up and it's difficult to see because there's so much production of that, so usually you have to have it flushed out, or you have to wait for a really long period of time before it calms down.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
All that security would mean squat if a nuke was dropped on TO during the meetings, but then, it wouldn't be much of a loss (except for the innocent bystanders). The ones who are really in control won't be there.

I hardly think Canada would get blame if there is a nuke is dropped on Toronto, blame will go to USA. I assume USA has the capability of detecting the incoming nuclear missile and intercepting it, Canada doesn’t.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
[

Your right to protest and they're right to stop you

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
June 23
Over the last two days, Toronto Police have engaged in at least 12 of illegal detentions and subjected a number of everyday people to searches without cause. Targets include people on the street, based on their attire as the media reports, as well as community organizers and activists
"Laws are being broken left right and centre by the Police, who are detaining and harassing people without cause",

“Canada’s extractive industries have caused environmental devastation leading to water shortages, pollution, disease, and forced migration across this country and countless others,” protester said

“Canadian mining companies are destroying lives around the world through practices and projects that destroy the environment and tear the social fabric of the communities they operate in, especially communities of colour and Indigenous communities” another protester said.

“The largest point source of industrial carbon emissions in Canada, and the source of millions of litres of toxic waste water, the tar sands are turning First Nations aboriginal and treaty rights, land, water and the atmosphere into a dumping ground,” still another says

.” A group called the Southern Ontario Anarchist Resistance will march on the downtown security fence in aid of its struggle against the “capitalist, colonial, racist, patriarchal, homophobic, transphobic Canadian state.”

No wonder we need more than 5,000 police officers, a $5 million fence, a water cannon, long-range tear gas, rubber bullets and those sound guns that have been so effective in disabling Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden.

G20 'sound cannon' ruling expected on Friday

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
From what I've seen, a fave Canadian past time is to wander into a riot 'just to see'. No protestor who gets hit with tear gas or sound cannons, or bean bags, etc., has ever 'deserved' it in Canada. None have screamed at the riot police endlessly, or thrown things, or in general been 'unpeaceful' (despite video proof that others who go unscathed have). Somehow, our weapons only ever find the innocent passerby who showed up out of curiosity sake and attempted to ask directions or a scone recipe of an officer. It's an unfortunate coincidence really.

I just say, I do find it heartening however that we are now involving special, specific, tenements for the proceedings.

or, if perhaps someone was attempting to allude to Tieneman (yes, we all know your ridiculous spelling mistake was... ), I find it equally disheartening that someone would liken pain from such non lethal weapons, to being run over and killed by tanks. The overdramatization of the western psyche is appalling at times.