47% of Canadians Want GG’s Term to Continue

Should the Governor General’s term be extended?

• Yes

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Don’t know/Prefer not to respond

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
47%¹ of Canadians want Michaëlle Jean’s term as Governor General extended for another five years.

That’s the substance of an article on The Globe and Mail yesterday, while noting that many Canadians have not spent an awful lot of time considering the matter—but based on what they have thought about it, the vice-reign has done a good job. Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General, does not have a legally-defined term (the Governor General actually serves at the Pleasure of Her Majesty the Queen of Canada); but the traditional term of the Governor General is about five years, unless an extension is recommended (which is not uncommon).

With The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister, having recently published his intention to not extend the Governor General’s term, the question is a pertinent one. Based on past representatives of the Queen, and based on our expectations of how a Governor General should conduct Her Excellency’s self, has the current Governor General done a good job on viceregal issues? Should the Governor General’s term be extended?

And a quick condemnation of Liberal petty politics, excuse me...

The Honourable Michael Ignatieff P.C., M.P. (Etobicoke Lakeshore), the Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, recently announced that the prime minister had asked his opinion on who to appoint as the Governor General’s successor, and that he had advised the extension of the present holder’s term. Now, while I agree with the Leader of the Opposition’s recommendation (I am an openly-enthusiastic fan of the current vicereign), what he’s done here is entirely unacceptable and inappropriate.

For the Leader of the Opposition to so openly attempt to drag the Office of the Governor General of Canada through ugly partisan waters is a total breach of accepted conventions surrounding that Office. The prime minister would have expected such a sensitive conversation to remain a private one (as would have any prime minister), and the Leader of the Opposition would have well known this, revealing that discussion as he saw an opportunity for cheap political points. It now seems laughable that the prime minister recommended his appointment to Her Majesty the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada—can he really be trusted to safeguard the secrets of the State? I certainly don’t think so.

He should be censured.

So, the question on hand: Should the Governor General’s term be extended?

Source

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Sorry to be a pedant, but it's 58% think she has done a good job, not 58% think she should be given another term. Of those who would want to see her stay in that position for 5 more years, it's down to 47%, as your title correctly states.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
58% of Canadians want Michaëlle Jean’s term as Governor General extended for another five years.

That’s the substance of an article on The Globe and Mail yesterday, while noting that many Canadians have not spent an awful lot of time considering the matter—but based on what they have thought about it, the vice-reign has done a good job. Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General, does not have a legally-defined term (the Governor General actually serves at the Pleasure of Her Majesty the Queen of Canada); but the traditional term of the Governor General is about five years, unless an extension is recommended (which is not uncommon).

With The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister, having recently published his intention to not extend the Governor General’s term, the question is a pertinent one. Based on past representatives of the Queen, and based on our expectations of how a Governor General should conduct Her Excellency’s self, has the current Governor General done a good job on viceregal issues? Should the Governor General’s term be extended?

And a quick condemnation of Liberal petty politics, excuse me...

The Honourable Michael Ignatieff P.C., M.P. (Etobicoke Lakeshore), the Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, recently announced that the prime minister had asked his opinion on who to appoint as the Governor General’s successor, and that he had advised the extension of the present holder’s term. Now, while I agree with the Leader of the Opposition’s recommendation (I am an openly-enthusiastic fan of the current vicereign), what he’s done here is entirely unacceptable and inappropriate.

For the Leader of the Opposition to so openly attempt to drag the Office of the Governor General of Canada through ugly partisan waters is a total breach of accepted conventions surrounding that Office. The prime minister would have expected such a sensitive conversation to remain a private one (as would have any prime minister), and the Leader of the Opposition would have well known this, revealing that discussion as he saw an opportunity for cheap political points. It now seems laughable that the prime minister recommended his appointment to Her Majesty the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada—can he really be trusted to safeguard the secrets of the State? I certainly don’t think so.

He should be censured.

So, the question on hand: Should the Governor General’s term be extended?

Source
unequivocally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................................................... :canada:

Reactions: Colpy

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I have difficulty believing 58% of the Canadian populace is educated enough to understand what they're saying on the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
No.

All in all, I think she has done a very good job.......she rose to the occassion extremely well, and presented a good face for Canada........I was extremely impressed with the munch out on seal heart.........

My single criticism would be on her ruling during the "coalition" fiasco........I believe she should have used her power, and sent the country into a new election....CPC vs Coalition.......

But, whatever......Harper has little choice but to defy the petty politicing of Ignatieff........ and find someone new.

Iggy is truely screwing up.

Reactions: FiveParadox

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ms. Jean has done a great job as GG. The problem with extending her term is after allowing Harper to prorogue in somewhat controversial circumstances, I wonder if it might not be viewed as "you-wash-my-back-and-I'll-wash-yours" by they who look for monsters among the under-the-bed dust bunnies.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ms. Jean has done a great job as GG. The problem with extending her term is after allowing Harper to prorogue in somewhat controversial circumstances, I wonder if it might not be viewed as "you-wash-my-back-and-I'll-wash-yours" by they who look for monsters among the under-the-bed dust bunnies.
Well said.

Go figure that the biggest critics of the present Gov't, seem to want to keep the one that has aided their enemy the most, lol.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I answered your OP, and I stand by that (Which is why I made the same reply to your Thread at the other place). I bet a great percentage of the general populace hasn't clue one about the role of the GG, this one in particular' history, or how much it costs to have a useless figure head annually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yes, her term should be extended. But that might resemble something closer to an elected head of state, so I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen...

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Yes, her term should be extended. But that might resemble something closer to an elected head of state, so I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen...

I really like this woman and I am proud she has represented us.

I remember when she was selected, there was alot of outrage from the right....not sure why? Maybe it was because she worked for the CBC but regardless of that she sure made them all shut up after a few months.

Not only that....she sure isn't hard to look at.;-)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Why do you think her term should be extended? She was okay in her position but not spectacular. If 48% want her kept in her position then 51% either want her out or don't care. Probably most don't care.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Why do you think her term should be extended? She was okay in her position but not spectacular. If 48% want her kept in her position then 51% either want her out or don't care. Probably most don't care.

Our Prime Minister doesn't even get 40%. The survey error bar is +/- 3.1 %, so that means you could equally find 51.1 % of Canadians who want her to have the job if you performed the exact same survey again.

She didn't make any blunders, and she seems to be able to handle minority governments well, and with no majority government clear on the horizon, I think it's wise to stick to someone who has been through the paces before.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Our Prime Minister doesn't even get 40%. The survey error bar is +/- 3.1 %, so that means you could equally find 51.1 % of Canadians who want her to have the job if you performed the exact same survey again.

She didn't make any blunders, and she seems to be able to handle minority governments well, and with no majority government clear on the horizon, I think it's wise to stick to someone who has been through the paces before.
There is nothing I disagree with. Yes - on any given day the results can reverse themselves and that's why I said that probably most don't care. I guarantee you that for most people called regarding the survey, they had not given it a thought until directly asked the question.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
And I still say that the bulk of the populace really has no idea what her job is, how much it costs, or why he/she even exists.

Well, since proroguing has lost its popularity, and the post is little more then a glorified figurehead.

Why not just sh!t can it altogether?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
And I still say that the bulk of the populace really has no idea what her job is, how much it costs, or why he/she even exists.

Speculative. But irrelevant. There's no skill testing question involved with electing MP's either...

Why not just sh!t can it altogether?

There's pros and cons to that, but that's not on the table right now. I'm sure Chris would love you to start a thread about that though. ;-)

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
VanIsle with all do respect, the don't care crowd don’t represent the total 52%. They have no interest or opinion on the subject and to include them in the 52% makes it unfair. And how could one gage out of the 52% the don’t care if it is greater then the once who simply don’t not like her. You may have for example 38% don’t care and 24% that want her out. Or 38% that want her out in which case the 28% pro + 48% pro would make the 38% irrelevant.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If 47% think she should get the job, and 36% think someone else should get it, that doesn't leave much of the pie left for those who don't care...just sayin... Math rules!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Speculative. But irrelevant. There's no skill testing question involved with electing MP's either...
Sadly. Hence the state of our political landscape.;-)

There's pros and cons to that, but that's not on the table right now. I'm sure Chris would love you to start a thread about that though. ;-)
Been there, done that, no thanx, lol.

Look at what's happening right now, a partisan hack, Iggy, is politicizing the position.

This is obviously a hindrance to the post. Besides that, extending her position now, especially after Iggy's BS, sets a dangerous precedent.