Should Canada revoke freedom of religion for Muslims?

Would you support banning Islam as it's described in the OP?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • No.

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Seeing that some seem to insist on blaming all Muslims for 911, I'd like to know how many here would actually support revoking freedom of religion for all Muslims.

This would include freedom of Muslim association, establishing and maintaining Muslim religious organizations, building mosques, establishing and maintaining Muslim schools, and revealing one's Muslim identity. This could also extend to publishing companies, book shops and libraries being prohibited from supplying Muslim sacred texts. Anyone who should openly identify as a Muslim would go to prison labour (or be deported if he's not born in Canada or is not a convert) until such a time as he denounces his faith. And anyone married to a Muslim would legally be required to divorce that Muslim, and anyone with Muslim parents or children would have to renounce them too.

From comments I've read here and in other forums, I get the impression that some would likely support this and I just want to know how rampant this feeling is.

Reactions: selin

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Good grief, Machjo, I think this is way over the top. Where do you draw the line on banning the freedom of someone to practice the religion of their choice. Muslims today, and Wiccans next.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Good grief, Machjo, I think this is way over the top. Where do you draw the line on banning the freedom of someone to practice the religion of their choice. Muslims today, and Wiccans next.

Mowich, I'd voted no myself, but I know a few on this forum who give me the impression they'd vote yes. Just wait a day or two and I'm sure there'll be a yes vote or two showing up in the poll.

Just read some of the threads in these forums.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Mowich, I'd voted no myself, but I know a few on this forum who give me the impression they'd vote yes. Just wait a day or two and I'm sure there'll be a yes vote or two showing up in the poll.

Just read some of the threads in these forums.

Point taken, Machjo. Will wait to see how virulent the rhetoric becomes.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Just hope they don't start chanting: Crusade! Crusade! Crusade!

To be perfectly serious about this Machjo, it would be all but impossible to deny Muslims the right to practice their religion. After all we have neo-nazis in this country who get together and re-live the 'glory' days of Germany when it was ruled by that one-testicled little sh*t who died declaring that Germany should go down with him. When people like that refuse to deal with reality, it is not inconceivable that some here might chant 'Crusade'.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
To be perfectly serious about this Machjo, it would be all but impossible to deny Muslims the right to practice their religion. After all we have neo-nazis in this country who get together and re-live the 'glory' days of Germany when it was ruled by that one-testicled little sh*t who died declaring that Germany should go down with him. When people like that refuse to deal with reality, it is not inconceivable that some here might chant 'Crusade'.

Good point.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Just hope they don't start chanting: Crusade! Crusade! Crusade!"

Crusades ended several hundred years ago.

What we hear nowadays, and proved by the gaping hole in Ground Zero is: JIHAD!! JIHAD!! JIHAD!!

And Muslims in a predominanly non-Muslim world should be given EXACTLY the same freedom of expression as predominantly Muslim regimes afford to non-Muslims.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
"Just hope they don't start chanting: Crusade! Crusade! Crusade!"

Crusades ended several hundred years ago.

What we hear nowadays, and proved by the gaping hole in Ground Zero is: JIHAD!! JIHAD!! JIHAD!!

When you want to punish all Muslims for the actions of a few, you are essentially asking for a Crusade by definition.

Slim Chance

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2009
When you want to punish all Muslims for the actions of a few, you are essentially asking for a Crusade by definition.

Using that logic, how do you characterize the Islamic faith based on the ideal that those Muslims that perpetuate terrorism are acting to punish all non-Muslims.

It's a 2-way street.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Would you be willing to give up all the benefits gained from Islam over the centuries?

Including the opportunity of asylum to Moorish Spain against the oppression of the Church against any Christian who dared challenge its authority?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Bummer for Christians in Spain.

Maybe if the Christians weren't too busy slaughtering each other there would have been enough around to hold onto southern Spain.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
freedom of religion applies to everyone and if one person breaks the law then only those that beak the laws are punished not the whole group