Guergis speaks out...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
CBC.ca Video

CBC.ca Video

Is it just me, or does she come across like a lil spoiled bitch?

I watched it and I'm quite undecided. While I certainly have no proof she was lying about anything, politicians are very capable of lying or at least toning down the truth. She must have had at least some inkling of her husband's shenanigans unless she's completely naive. By the same token I think Harper is capable of being a bit of an A$$hole, he's a politician. I do think Harper should put it all on the table for everyone to see. Between Harper and the cops I think they are playing games. I would be more inclined to characterize her as not being tough enough for the world of dirty politics rather than "a spoiled bitch"- maybe she is better suited to baking cookies for the local play school.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I watched it and I'm quite undecided. While I certainly have no proof she was lying about anything, politicians are very capable of lying or at least toning down the truth.
Her little crying bit seemed contrived and fake as hell, to me.

She must have had at least some inkling of her husband's shenanigans unless she's completely naive.
Or dumb as sh!t.

By the same token I think Harper is capable of being a bit of an A$$hole, he's a politician. I do think Harper should put it all on the table for everyone to see. Between Harper and the cops I think they are playing games.
I somewhat agree, which is why I'll wait to see what the RCMP come up with. If it turns out to be false, this could cost us millions.

I would be more inclined to characterize her as not being tough enough for the world of dirty politics rather than "a spoiled bitch"- maybe she is better suited to baking cookies for the local play school.
Nah, I get the feeling she's playing the woe is lil me card here. I've seen her in action on the Hill and in interviews, she's way tougher then she let on in this interview. And I very much walked away with the "spoiled bitch" impression. The whole I can't believe this is happening to "ME" attitude sold her out.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I find it very hard to sympathize with her: every couple minutes is something like "it slipped my mind" or "I remember now". It seems like she is making her story up or revising it as she goes along.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Her little crying bit seemed contrived and fake as hell, to me.

Or dumb as sh!t.

I somewhat agree, which is why I'll wait to see what the RCMP come up with. If it turns out to be false, this could cost us millions.

Nah, I get the feeling she's playing the woe is lil me card here. I've seen her in action on the Hill and in interviews, she's way tougher then she let on in this interview. And I very much walked away with the "spoiled bitch" impression. The whole I can't believe this is happening to "ME" attitude sold her out.

You are probably right although I think she could be a little emotional, but contrived or not I'm not sure.

Slim Chance

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2009
I especially enjoyed that part where bot her and Jaffer were were absolutely at a loss regarding how the cocaine got into hubby's pocket.... It's a real mystery to Helena!

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
She was turfed by a government that ran on transparency and accountability.

A government that promised to stand by her.

This Conservative government declared an all out war on women years ago and forgot to tell the Canadian people.

She called the RCMP more than once to find out what the charges are, they never called back.

Out of cabinet and out of the party.

Her own riding kicked her out and she still doesn't know what she has done.

Well respected woman Conservative MP publicly rebuked for giving money to a group that is hated by the base supporters.

Conservatives who secretly feel that women belong in the kitchen.

Women is a dirty word as far as the Conservatives are concerned but they make good window dressing in the House of Commons.

If only the Conservatives would give their women MPs more power to be equals and positively contribute to the Conservative cause, the government would be ahead of the game and more productive.

The chains must come off and the Conservatives must support women's rights.

When the Conservatives fall and they are voted out of office I hope the former women MPs follow in their political aspirations and get beyond this tragic event and become the politicians they were destined to be.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think you've fallen for her sympathy ploy.

Giving a non-MP use of your office to carry on lobbying, and a blackberry, and allowing them to use your official email addresses obviously aren't significant events to some people.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I can't believe Harper dropped the bomb on Guergis like that (assuming her story is true).

At the very least, she's entitled to know the allegations against her. I remember getting into a spat with an employer years ago. First I'd confronted the manager herself. When she wouldn't budge, I'd told her that I was going to take action. Later, I'd typed up a detailed letter to present to the local government office responsible for such matters. Later my employer called me and wanted a copy of the letter I'd sent to that office. I obliged. My friends and colleagues thought I was insane to 'help the enemy', but I figured they have every right to know the accusations against them and have every right to have a chance to defend themselves. Of course they got creamed anyway owing to the evidence and witnesses against them. I bet the letter made them mess their pants when they saw the detailed list of evidence, witnesses, etc. It was all a solid case, but still they had a right to know. I'd confronted my manager face to face and gave her a final chance before going to turning the letter over.Though I'm a fighter, I'm a fair fighter too, and will fight only as a last resort.

Now I'd figure any PM worthy of respect would have talked to Guergis before turning the evidence over to the police unless she really wasn't available for that at the time. But even then I'd have at least kept a copy of whatever I'd turned over to the police and hand a copy over to Guergis ASAP.

I'm not defending Guergis here, know little about her, and do not even know if I'd ever vote for her in an election (my hunch says no; if she can't sensor herself at an airport that tells me she's a little spoilt, but that's beside the point since immaturity per se is not illegal but we're talking about criminal accusations here).

Though I don't know what to think of Guergis personally, it's clear first off that she should not be held responsible for any actions of her husband's and, secondly, that she has a right to know the accusations against her. How can you defend yourself fairly against an invisible enemy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

This Conservative government declared an all out war on women years ago and forgot to tell the Canadian people.

She called the RCMP more than once to find out what the charges are, they never called back.

Well respected woman Conservative MP publicly rebuked for giving money to a group that is hated by the base supporters.

Women is a dirty word as far as the Conservatives are concerned but they make good window dressing in the House of Commons.

If only the Conservatives would give their women MPs more power to be equals and positively contribute to the Conservative cause, the government would be ahead of the game and more productive.

When the Conservatives fall and they are voted out of office I hope the former women MPs follow in their political aspirations and get beyond this tragic event and become the politicians they were destined to be.

Yeah, there's someone else on the forum who thinks as you do, but knowing him, if I was in your boots I'd change my thinking....................:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think you've fallen for her sympathy ploy.

Giving a non-MP use of your office to carry on lobbying, and a blackberry, and allowing them to use your official email addresses obviously aren't significant events to some people.

That's beside the point. She could have committed murder, but she still has a right to know the accusations against her, and it's the justice system and not the PM who should decide her fate here.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I agree that she needs to know the allegations or charges against her, however, I'm reasonably certain that she was told the generalities of them, if not the specifics.

She's not as weak and stupid and innocent as she tries to portray.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That has what to do with the SOP of an ongoing investigation?

Really? Can you provide some fact of this?

Really? So we sure suffer the injustice of alleged criminality, because she's a women?

There is no law or legislation that dictates they have to. Unless you can provide something specific, this is more of your hot air BS.

I understand how that would be foreign to a Liberal. I mean usually you get a plumb posting somewhere in the world if you're a Liberal Minister under investigation, for criminal or unethical behavior.

I'm sure.

:roll:
Got any proof?

How Liberal of you...pander, pander, pander...:lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Removing her fro Cabinet may have been a reasonable move, though still with her full knowledge of WHY. Removing her from the CPC Caucus though went too far. What damage could she do there honestly. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I agree that she needs to know the allegations or charges against her, however, I'm reasonably certain that she was told the generalities of them, if not the specifics.

I'm sure she isn't, and from what I know she is a little spoilt. the point is simply that she has a right to know the detailed allegations against her at least.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's beside the point. She could have committed murder, but she still has a right to know the accusations against her, and it's the justice system and not the PM who should decide her fate here.
She has no rights to know what information has been handed over to the RCMP, it's an ongoing investigation. Silence is SOP.

As for tossing her, ya, and if he hadn't, he would be called all manner of names.

He's simply damned if he does, damned if he don't.

Bingo!!! ;-)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Removing her fro Cabinet may have been a reasonable move, though still with her full knowledge of WHY. Removing her from the CPC Caucus though went too far. What damage could she do there honestly. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty.
If there are accusations of using ones office as a tool for lobbying, one must be removed from that post, as far as possible in my books.

Sometime, arbitrary action must be taken to preserve the integrity of the office.