Recycling Is A Waste And Needs To Be Fixed

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Recycling Is A Waste And Needs To Be Fixed

In Toronto another waste recycler has closed it’s doors proving yet again that the system does not work.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/800474--confused-about-recycling-online-tool-can-help

Most cities have invested billions of tax dollars into this idea of saving the environment by providing the home owners 3-5 heavy duty containers that one has to pay for on top of the taxes, with wheels so one can comfortably roll the recyclables to the curb for pick up.

One has to make sure that the right stuff is in the right container if not there are penalties or they just leave it behind.

One almost has to be a rocket scientist to figure it out of which box gets what.

See for yourself by visiting these links;
http://app.toronto.ca/wes/winfo/search.do
http://www.peelregion.ca/pw/waste/search

One can also bring the recyclables to different depots so with the wear and tear on your body and your car and we can’t forget the excess gas that one is using to accomplish the task.

Now the recycling companies are closing.

When will the city stop this madness and make some changes because too much of your tax dollars is being wasted.

Get rid of the recycling boxes sell it through an auction or melt it into pellets.

The city should set up city crown corporation like the province and federal government did or contract the process out.

Have the Garbage trucks pickup all garbage bring it to a processing plant and let them separate it would be a lot cheaper and this will provide jobs for the people of the city.

The city should give tax incentive for businesses located in the city that will use the recyclables.

The city needs more electricity and the city can burn the garbage to turn the generator to get the power.

By putting micro filters on the smoke stacks more clean air would go into the atmosphere.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Have the Garbage trucks pickup all garbage bring it to a processing plant and let them separate it would be a lot cheaper and this will provide jobs for the people of the city.
Rather than it being hand sorted todays inventors should be able to design a machine that can be trucked around from garbage pit to garbage pit that would sort things mechanically through various means. Since it would be expensive it would serve many pits and perhaps even reclaim old ones or the 'treasures' found there in their 'spare time'..
A city the size of NY could recyle most of what goes into landfills or the Ocean, that would be a 24/7 very busy operation that would require lots of actual people to do the coordination and repairs. Take it all and sort it on site like you suggest, I like the idea in that only a machine designed to sort it from that state could efficiently clean up the older sites.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Rather than it being hand sorted todays inventors should be able to design a machine that can be trucked around from garbage pit to garbage pit that would sort things mechanically through various means.
My wife, SCB, who was until recently a quality control/supervisor at a regional recycling facility. Asked me to post this to you...

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
No recycling in my building, in Toronto of all places. All my garbage/recycling goes down the magic garbage chute, where a pack of ferocious albino-midgets devour it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Rather than it being hand sorted todays inventors should be able to design a machine that can be trucked around from garbage pit to garbage pit that would sort things mechanically through various means. Since it would be expensive it would serve many pits and perhaps even reclaim old ones or the 'treasures' found there in their 'spare time'..
Spare time? Have you any clue as to the technology that would be needed to buil;d a machine that can tell the difference between the types of plastic? Or better yet, tell the difference between plastic infiltrated paper and straight paper?
Or how about telling the difference between latex paint and enamel?

A city the size of NY could recyle most of what goes into landfills or the Ocean, that would be a 24/7 very busy operation that would require lots of actual people to do the coordination and repairs. Take it all and sort it on site like you suggest, I like the idea in that only a machine designed to sort it from that state could efficiently clean up the older sites.
Perhaps in a few decades we might see something like that. Till then I think labor intensive sorting is what we are stuck with and what we can't sort should be torched to generate energy.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Spare time? Have you any clue as to the technology that would be needed to buil;d a machine that can tell the difference between the types of plastic? Or better yet, tell the difference between plastic infiltrated paper and straight paper?
Or how about telling the difference between latex paint and enamel?

Perhaps in a few decades we might see something like that. Till then I think labor intensive sorting is what we are stuck with and what we can't sort should be torched to generate energy.
I didn't mean it would be small enough to fit on one load. If they can build one that can clean the tailings from the Yukon gold mines they should be able to do the same for landfills.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I didn't mean it would be small enough to fit on one load. If they can build one that can clean the tailings from the Yukon gold mines they should be able to do the same for landfills.
Domestic and commercial trash is not = to industrial trash, but you go ahead and build such a machine. :)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Do you understand the difference between gold tailing and PETE, or LDPE?

8O

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
keep recycling everyone, gradually the system will improve,
and it isn't about making profits, it's about caring for
our earth.

I don't care about a few extra bucks I would use to truck
my recycling material anywhere, it's doing the right thing.

Here in the comox valley, a truck comes every two weeks and
picks all of our recycling material which we have accumulated and placed in the blue box, it's so easy, a
kindergarten child could do it.

We also have a truck that picks up our yard waste each week,
with certain rules attached to that as well, and I'm happy
to accomodate them.

There are bins all over the place in mall parking lots etc.,
for recycling material and glass, (which isn't picked up),
so it seems very positive here, and improves all the time.

Our garbage cans don't have much in them at all any more.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The other day I saw a garbage truck picking up from 3 containers at the corner down the street: general garbage, plastics and glass. The guy dumped them all in the same compartment in the truck. So what is the point of even separating your garbage??