Bill C-428

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well rather then waiting 10 years, it's only 3.... better then nothing. Going for 3 years without any decent medical coverage and thus, paying for every medical expense out of your own pocket is not an easy life to lead.... let alone for 10 years.

Since my wife has been dealing with no coverage for the last three years alone, I know how difficult it is when you're not covered in this country and you need medical attention. You end up ignoring or delaying getting something checked, because you simply can not afford it.

If immigrants had to do this for 10 years, if I was one of them, I'd probably leave and go somewhere else, considering in the report they even stated most immigrants are certainly not getting a decent yearly income, it's already difficult to make ends meet, let alone affording decent medical coverage. Hell it's been an uphill battle for me to make ends meet over the last few years, I can only imagine being paid less then I am now and also having to foot my own medical bills due to not being covered by UHC.

As it goes for the absence from the country for a period of time and thus may not be covered.... that's nothing new and other countries have similar rules in place.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well rather then waiting 10 years, it's only 3.... better then nothing. Going for 3 years without any decent medical coverage and thus, paying for every medical expense out of your own pocket is not an easy life to lead.... let alone for 10 years.
Ya so? If you haven't contributed to the system then you can't collect until you have established your commitment. It's pretty simple and fair. Not to mention that all one has to do is have approval-in-principle, to be eligible for health care.
Since my wife has been dealing with no coverage for the last three years alone, I know how difficult it is when you're not covered in this country and you need medical attention. You end up ignoring or delaying getting something checked, because you simply can not afford it.
Why doesn't your wife qualify? The requirements are already low. Since in Ontario, even a foreign worker with a valid 6 month wok visa is qualified for OHIP. I can't imagine other provinces being much different.

If immigrants had to do this for 10 years, if I was one of them, I'd probably leave and go somewhere else.
In some cases, I would actually support that sentiment. But in this case we're talking about OAS, Old Age Security, not health care. And we need to keep the requirements high. The system is already being taxed quite heavily.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"If immigrants had to do this for 10 years, if I was one of them, I'd probably leave and go somewhere else, considering in the report they even stated most immigrants are certainly not getting a decent yearly income, it's already difficult to make ends meet, let alone affording decent medical coverage. Hell it's been an uphill battle for me to make ends meet over the last few years, I can only imagine being paid less then I am now and also having to foot my own medical bills due to not being covered by UHC."

I don't see that as being a problem for those of us who have lived and worked in this country all our lives and contributed to the plan all our working lives. The answer is for immigrants to remain in their own country and get active in affairs so they have these benefits, not to jump ship and spunge at others' expense.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't see that as being a problem for those of us who have lived and worked in this country all our lives and contributed to the plan all our working lives. The answer is for immigrants to remain in their own country and get active in affairs so they have these benefits, not to jump ship and spunge at others' expense.
I like that idea JLM!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Where are all the Liberal advocates this morning? :smile::smile:
Actually, all things considered, I could do without the rhetoric and silly generalizations by the local crop of liberal boobary.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
praxius- How can your wife not qualify?
Moving to Nova Scotia from outside Canada
If you are a returning Canadian Citizen or a returning "Permanent Resident" moving permanently to Nova Scotia from outside Canada, MSI will provide first day coverage. People moving to Nova Scotia from outside the country, who hold a Work Permit, are eligible to apply for MSI upon their arrival in Nova Scotia, provided they will be remaining in Nova Scotia for at least one full year and have signed a declaration. The worker cannot be absent from Nova Scotia for more than 31 days, except in the course of employment. Coverage will begin on the date of arrival in Nova Scotia or the date the Work Permit was issued, whichever is the later date. For continuous coverage, a copy of the renewed Work Permit must be submitted and a new declaration form must be signed each year.
People coming to Nova Scotia from outside the country who hold a Study Permit can apply for coverage the first day of the thirteenth month following the date of arrival in Nova Scotia as a student; providing they have not been outside the province for more than 31 consecutive days except in the course of their studies (for example a person arriving in Nova Scotia in July 2004 cannot apply until August 2005). For continuous coverage, a copy of each Study Permit must be submitted to MSI and a declaration must be signed each year. Persons on Study Permit are Eligible for insurance services in Nova Scotia Only. Services rendered while outside the province would be the responsibilities of the individuals.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
From where, in a system that was supposed to be close to bankrupt not ten years ago, did the funding come to lure all of Ruby's relatives over here to collect on what I paid into?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
This is the actual Bill

House of Commons of Canada

BILL C-428

An Act to amend the Old Age Security Act (residency requirement)

Whereas the current ten-year residency requirement places undue hardship on recent immigrants who are seniors in that they are unable to adequately access old age security benefits;

Now, therefore, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:

1. The portion of the definition “specially qualified individual” in section 2 of the Old Age Security Act before paragraph (a) is replaced by the following:

“specially qualified individual” means a person who has not resided in Canada after attaining eighteen years of age for an aggregate period of three or more years other than such a person to whom a pension or allowance was payable

2. (1) Subparagraph 3(1)(b)(iii) of the Act is replaced by the following:

(iii) has resided in Canada for the three years immediately preceding the day on which that person's application is approved or, if that person has not so resided, has, after attaining eighteen years of age, been present in Canada prior to those three years for an aggregate period at least equal to three times the aggregate periods of absence from Canada during those three years, and has resided in Canada for at least one year immediately preceding the day on which that person's application is approved; and

(2) Paragraph 3(2)(b) of the Act is replaced by the following:

(b) has resided in Canada after attaining eighteen years of age and prior to the day on which that person's application is approved for an aggregate period of at least three years but less than forty years and, where that aggregate period is less than twenty years, was resident in Canada on the day preceding the day on which that person's application is approved.

3. Paragraph 19(1)(c) of the Act is replaced by the following:

(c) in the case of a spouse, common-law partner or former common-law partner, has resided in Canada after attaining eighteen years of age and prior to the day on which their application is approved for an aggregate period of at least three years and, where that aggregate period is less than twenty years, was resident in Canada on the day preceding the day on which their application is approved.

4. Paragraph 21(1)(b) of the Act is replaced by the following:

(b) has resided in Canada after attaining eighteen years of age and prior to the day on which their application is approved for an aggregate period of at least three years and, where that aggregate period is less than twenty years, was resident in Canada on the day preceding the day on which their application is approved.

If you reduce OAS to three years it will put a strain on the whole plan not only that but more older people that are poor will want to come to Canada just for the money.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If you reduce OAS to three years it will put a strain on the whole plan not only that but more older people that are poor will want to come to Canada just for the money
Wow, seems your exalted Liberals aren't so perfect after all eh Liberaldud? There's nothing like pandering to immigrants that haven't earned the services, to garner more votes.

That would be pathetic, if it wasn't so unethical and morally bankrupt.

Last edited:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Wow, seems your exalted Liberals aren't so perfect after all eh Liberaldud?

I never said they were but they are a lot better than the Progressive Conservatives.

We have to remember the Conservative premier decided to close hospitals in the city of Toronto where there is an explosion of population growth, where his actions increased the waiting times in hospital emergency rooms dramatically where people actually died.

When you look at the federal level, the difference between the Liberals and Conservatives are the Liberals value human life more than the Conservatives and CFB Trenton proves it CDNBare.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I never said they were but they are a lot better than the Progressive Conservatives.
Really? I think the Cons are pretty much the same as any other political party, just this side of scum of the earth.

We have to remember the Conservative premier decided to close hospitals in the city of Toronto where there is an explosion of population growth, where his actions increased the waiting times in hospital emergency rooms dramatically where people actually died.
Unfortunately after years of bloating, and burgeoning exploits of hospital admins, it was a sad necessity. Especially since the Liberal Feds had just cut transfer payments for heathcare. But I guess selective revisionist history is better then reality when your party of choice is the Liberals.:roll:

When you look at the federal level, the difference between the Liberals and Conservatives are the Liberals value human life more than the Conservatives and CFB Trenton proves it CDNBear.
Fixed your egregious spelling error. Now, who's tax cuts made being a Soldier a second class citizenship? Oh ya, the Liberals with unprecedented cuts to Defense funding. That had to be what you were hinting at with your mention of Trenton, because not even you could be so completely moronic to insinuate that the Liberals didn't send the Troops to Afghanistan.

Politicians value power & votes.
100% true.

Votes can only happen with a live voters
Live, unethically pandered to voters. Like the Liberals are doing in Bramlidesh and Harpo and company did in Quebec. Harpo failed in Quebec, I hope the Liberals fail in Bramlidesh. The only difference is, Harpo is simply wasting tax dollars to curry votes from the French. While the Liberals are playing Russian Roulette with OAS, a system already near its breaking point.

I for one can see which is the lessor of the two evils.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think whoever came up with this bill is off their nut. The CIC is almost useless as it is and this will simply add more people for them to investigate.

I bet we'd see a great deal of people 60+ years old coming here and starting to collect OAP and whatever and then buggering off somewhere else for whatever reason. 10 years makes a person think long and hard about being a Canuck. 3 years? Stay long enough to become a Canuck and then split back to Africa or Mexico or wherever and get someone to send your OAP check to you so you can live richly. Lovely. Perhaps even come back now and then to get your health perked up if your country's medical isn't very good, too.
It's a ploy to garner a lot of votes from immigrants.
Damn politicians can be cheap and shallow..

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think whoever came up with this bill is off their nut. The CIC is almost useless as it is and this will simply add more people for them to investigate.

I bet we'd see a great deal of people 60+ years old coming here and starting to collect OAP and whatever and then buggering off somewhere else for whatever reason. 10 years makes a person think long and hard about being a Canuck. 3 years? Stay long enough to become a Canuck and then split back to Africa or Mexico or wherever and get someone to send your OAP check to you so you can live richly. Lovely. Perhaps even come back now and then to get your health perked up if your country's medical isn't very good, too.
It's a ploy to garner a lot of votes from immigrants.
Damn politicians can be cheap and shallow..

I thought so too. One of the proponents is a recent arrival from India........:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bob Rae should know better.