GG Should Decide Whether to End Term

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
An interesting headline I stumbled upon at The Hill Times today (so much so that I actually purchase the week’s electronic edition to read the whole article). Basically, it’s an editorial that argues that given the unique circumstances of the last few years, it should in fact be Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada, who should decide whether the current vice-regal term should now come to its end or be extended.

The rationale for this statement is the fact that twice during the last two years, The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister of Canada, has placed Her Excellency in very constitutionally-tenuous positions. Normally the Governor General’s constitutional role is straight-forward enough, when the requests that are made of Her Excellency are routine and uncomplicated. The prime minister’s recent requests, unfortunately, have been anything but “routine and uncomplicated”.

In December of 2008, the prime minister asked the Governor General to break with tradition and grant a prorogation, even though there was a question of confidence left unanswered before the House of Commons — previous vice-regal precedents indicated that there were grounds to refuse such a request. In December of the next year, a prorogation was again requested (this time over the phone, again breaking with the tradition of courtesy between the Governor General and prime minister), this time for the clear purpose of interrupting the work of a House of Commons committee.

The Governor General has travelled our murky constitutional waters admirably, and has come to understand her constitutional role much better than many of our past governors general have ever had occasion to. For the prime minister to replace Her Excellency now, when another minority Government is very likely in the near future, would be a mistake. It would make sense for us to keep a seasoned Governor General in Rideau Hall, at least until after the next general election — one who knows how to handle the further exceptional constitutional circumstances that are sure to crop up until we have some stability in the House of Commons.

Source:
  • The Hill Times: homepagearticle (*Full access requires subscription)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
When I first heard that Mr. Harper was considering replacing Michaelle Jean, I wondered why he would do so considering how well she has conducted herself. I am all for extending her tenure, however, if she is given the choice and decides to leave then I would agree with her.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
An interesting headline I stumbled upon at The Hill Times today (so much so that I actually purchase the week’s electronic edition to read the whole article). Basically, it’s an editorial that argues that given the unique circumstances of the last few years, it should in fact be Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada, who should decide whether the current vice-regal term should now come to its end or be extended.
Hmmm, how interesting.

The rationale for this statement is the fact that twice during the last two years, The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister of Canada, has placed Her Excellency in very constitutionally-tenuous positions. Normally the Governor General’s constitutional role is straight-forward enough, when the requests that are made of Her Excellency are routine and uncomplicated. The prime minister’s recent requests, unfortunately, have been anything but “routine and uncomplicated”.
As apposed to the 4 times that Cretien did it? How about the 11 times Trudeau did it?

This is a legal act, that is only under scrutiny now, because Harper, a Conservative, ahd the gull to do it twice...oh my the horror.

In December of 2008, the prime minister asked the Governor General to break with tradition and grant a prorogation, even though there was a question of confidence left unanswered before the House of Commons — previous vice-regal precedents indicated that there were grounds to refuse such a request. In December of the next year, a prorogation was again requested (this time over the phone, again breaking with the tradition of courtesy between the Governor General and prime minister), this time for the clear purpose of interrupting the work of a House of Commons committee.
Do we really have to make comparisons of the reasons for each Leaders prorogation? I'll win the debate on the ethics of it alone my friend.

The Governor General has travelled our murky constitutional waters admirably, and has come to understand her constitutional role much better than many of our past governors general have ever had occasion to. For the prime minister to replace Her Excellency now, when another minority Government is very likely in the near future, would be a mistake. It would make sense for us to keep a seasoned Governor General in Rideau Hall, at least until after the next general election — one who knows how to handle the further exceptional constitutional circumstances that are sure to crop up until we have some stability in the House of Commons.
And usurp the traditional term? How unethical...;-)

Excellent post Paradox.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As apposed to the 4 times that Cretien did it? How about the 11 times Trudeau did it?
There was only one other prime minister to request a prorogation when there was a question of confidence before the House of Commons; that meeting resulted in the prime minister’s resignation and an immediate change of Government.

This is a legal act, that is only under scrutiny now, because Harper, a Conservative, ahd the gull to do it twice...oh my the horror.
Not once have I argued that the prime minister did not have the right to request a prorogation; such is the prerogative of the prime minister, to be the sole constitutional advisor to the Governor General. Our system of Government requires, in order to maintain its character of flexibility, that the prime minister be able to make a wide range of requests, at any time, that vary given the particular circumstances of the day.

Do we really have to make comparisons of the reasons for each Leaders prorogation? I'll win the debate on the ethics of it alone my friend.
Go for it.

Our present prime minister is only the second in history to request a prorogation to quash a question of confidence, and the only one in history to actually get away with it. As for the second request, it is plainly obvious to everyone on our national stage that this prorogation was for the sole and exclusive purpose of shutting up one select committee of the House of Commons.

And usurp the traditional term? How unethical...;-)
Actually, CDNBear, many of our governors general have served longer terms than five years. Michaëlle Jean’s predecessor served six, and the longest term so far has been seven and a half years; some of the Lieutenant Governors of the Provinces have served even longer terms as vice-regal representatives. They serve ‘at the pleasure of The Queen of Canada’, not for any specific number of years.

Excellent post Paradox.
Thanks! ;-)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There was only one other prime minister to request a prorogation when there was a question of confidence before the House of Commons; that meeting resulted in the prime minister’s resignation and an immediate change of Government.
Ummm, if memory serves me right, there was talk, there wasn't actually a vote on the floor.

To top that off, in this case, even if there was a vote on the floor. The coalition required to make that vote in the oppositions favour was a complete breach of ethics. In so far as allowing Separatists to rule by proxy.

I would however like a little info on the session you cited if you wouldn't. I tried looking it up, but the search just keeps spouting out Harper crap.

Go for it.
OK I concede, so I won't win hands down, but i still smell hypocrisy.

37th Parliament 2002/9/16,2003/11/12. To avoid the auditor generals release of the report on Adscam.

Our present prime minister is only the second in history to request a prorogation to quash a question of confidence, and the only one in history to actually get away with it. As for the second request, it is plainly obvious to everyone on our national stage that this prorogation was for the sole and exclusive purpose of shutting up one select committee of the House of Commons.
I still question whether the confidence vote was actually on the floor or not. I can't remember. And still, given the unethical nature of the coalition. I'm not upset about the outcome, even if it was.

And lets look back at Cretien proroguing to avoid the Adscam findings. Or shutting down the Somalia inquiry.
Actually, CDNBear, many of our governors general have served longer terms than five years. Michaëlle Jean’s predecessor served six, and the longest term so far has been seven and a half years; some of the Lieutenant Governors of the Provinces have served even longer terms as vice-regal representatives. They serve ‘at the pleasure of The Queen of Canada’, not for any specific number of years.
I won't argue that. It just does not justify giving that kind of power to an appointed figure head. I see dangerous implications.
Thanks! ;-)
Don't mention it.

Last edited:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Well I just heard on Global news that the gg today announced her term was over in August, so I'm not sure what all the hubhub is about...

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
.... it should in fact be Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada, who should decide whether the current vice-regal term should now come to its end or be extended.....
Excuse me? Isn't that a bit like MPs voting on whether they should get a raise in salary or not?

Maybe I should convince the GG I should be the GG and then keep myself in the position until I croak some 60 years from now..

Slim Chance

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2009
Great idea, we'll be on our way to becoming like a South American country when the leader decides he is so great he should stay on and on and on. How are you Hugo!?!?! Perverse.

The GG role is the politial equalivent of an appendix and Michele Jean has demonstrated her "utility" and arrogance in the past. This post is nothing more than her own pedestal for her own personal agenda.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
How Dare the Governor General!

How dare a Governor General have a personal agenda of spreading harmony and unity with the Canadian people! How dare a Governor General carry out an intense program to recognise Canadian excellence, caring and volunteerism! How dare a Governor General traverse our constitutional waters with an expertise, class and professionalism unparalleled by anyone else on our federal stage—and all of this fantastic work on behalf of Canadians for less than the salary of a single member of the House of Commons.

How very dare she.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
So now a bunch of political lightweights have been discussed for GG. Some say it's BC's turn, or it's time for an aboriginal. This is nauseating. The individual is unimportant here, just an interchangeable cog. Kind of like being on the fourth line on a hockey team-you're a temp.

There's a question here. If the position is not important, why have it? And if the position is important, then make it a real job.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
How dare a Governor General have a personal agenda of spreading harmony and unity with the Canadian people! How dare a Governor General carry out an intense program to recognise Canadian excellence, caring and volunteerism! How dare a Governor General traverse our constitutional waters with an expertise, class and professionalism unparalleled by anyone else on our federal stage—and all of this fantastic work on behalf of Canadians for less than the salary of a single member of the House of Commons.

How very dare she.

So, the unelected maker of good cheer everyone now and then has to make a very serious decision that could cause a constitutional crisis with elected representatives. Good plan. But lotteries are better.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
So, the unelected maker of good cheer everyone now and then has to make a very serious decision that could cause a constitutional crisis with elected representatives. Good plan. But lotteries are better.

You don't have a f*ckin clue...do you.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There's a question here. If the position is not important, why have it? And if the position is important, then make it a real job.

The position is important, which is why we have it.

And it is a real job, a full-time one in fact. Perhaps you should visit the Web site of the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General, where you can read about all of Her Excellency’s constant day-to-day engagements for Canadians. In fact, the job is such an intense one that it is completed with the support of the following talented Canadians:
  • Ms. Sheila-Marie Cook, Secretary to the Governor General
  • Ms. Emmanuelle Sajous, Deputy Secretary and Deputy Herald Chancellor
  • Ms. Dorothy Grandmaitre, Acting Director General of Corporate Services
Let us not forget that the Office of the Governor General is not just a position, it is a constitutional organisation and institution. Even though it may at times seem behind-the-scenes, it is in fact central to our system of Government; without the Governor General’s signatures and approvals, the work of our Government would come to a grinding halt. And of course, it is a wonderful thing to have someone “above the fray” who can focus exclusively on national harmony and the recognition of excellence, something that an elected head of State does not have the time or the resources to do.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

The Governor General does a lot of very important work for Canadians, much of it at the request of The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister of Canada. By the very fact that the prime minister is the sole constitutional advisor to the Governor General, it lends the position democratic legitimacy.

Again, you can read about the Governor General’s busy schedule here.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The Governor General does a lot of very important work for Canadians, much of it at the request of The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister of Canada. By the very fact that the prime minister is the sole constitutional advisor to the Governor General, it lends the position democratic legitimacy.

Again, you can read about the Governor General’s busy schedule here.

You're confusing busy work with actual political influence. The GG is simply an appendage of the establishment, the white wine set that dislikes hockey and all sports. They dislike hockey because it is competitive. What are the Vancouver Canucks trying to do each spring?

They thought Canadians just wanted to participate in Olympic events, not win. Then came Own the Podium and the dainty white wine set suddenly became aware that Canadians want to be the best and get glory. The shock, the horror.

You go GG, you keep patting people on the head. It's so quaint.

Reactions: CDNBear

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You're confusing busy work with actual political influence. The GG is simply an appendage of the establishment, the white wine set that dislikes hockey and all sports. They dislike hockey because it is competitive. What are the Vancouver Canucks trying to do each spring?

They thought Canadians just wanted to participate in Olympic events, not win. Then came Own the Podium and the dainty white wine set suddenly became aware that Canadians want to be the best and get glory. The shock, the horror.

You go GG, you keep patting people on the head. It's so quaint.
Well said!!!