The Canadian Conservative Legacy

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Canadian Conservative Legacy

The Conservative party of Canada has been in power for years and they have only been able to get elected to a minority government.

What are your views on the accomplishments of the Conservatives and what legacy will they be known for?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
They've kept the corrupt Liberals out of power for over four years.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
When a government uses a fire hose for spending, they are left with only an eyedropper for tax relief. The Conservatives obviously find it easier to spend the rising surplus rather than control expenditures and cut taxes - just as the Liberals did. But can they really believe re-election efforts will be any easier when taxpayers cannot see a significant difference between Conservative and Liberal spending levels or their records on lowering taxes

The federal government is adding $153 million a day to our debt. At this rate, the $105-billion in debt repayment between 1997 – 2008 will be wiped out next year. Support our campaign for a federal balanced budget law and help us STOP this clock.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I didn't sign it because they didn't say anything about how balancing should be done and I'd hate for health care and education to take another hit from the feds like they did from Martin.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
All in all I don't think the Conservatives have done that badly. They haven't passed any really ultra-right legislation, quite possibly because having a minority government prevented them from doing so. As a matter of fact being in power for a few years seems to have pulled them from the more extreme policies of the Reform Party toward the political centre. As a senior I quite like the income splitting. Still won't make me vote for them though.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I can't say Harper's government has done me harm. I just don't like his I'll-take-my-football-and-go-home style of leadership. It scares me what kind of schoolboy snits could come from the man if he really did have control. One Mike Harris was bad enough for me.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
The Conservatives will be remembered as the Trickster Cons.

Attempt to make Canadian voters secretly pay for Champaign over spending to boost them on the polls during the 2008 Election…. Got caught by Elections Canada and still argue they did nothing wrong…….Very sneaky………

Bigotry blunders, homophobic bad remarks about gays,
Bigotry advertising tactics against Opposition Leader Stephan Deon.
$1.5 Million spend on illegal advertising to boost MPS IMAGE PAID BY TAX PAYERS

Running away from the business of the people by proroguing, hiding like a bunch of pansies
The Afghanistan detainee problem that keeps getting bigger and bigger as the Conservatives are force to answer damaging questions.
The reason Harper has not been able to go past 35% on the polls is clear the people do not trust the Conservatives.

And that is what the Harper Reform party of Canada in secrecy, out side the Conservatives will be remembered for ………..
nothing good but lots of trickery, bigotry and hypocrisy

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
:lol:, and your list still pales in comparison to mine...

But I must address,

Running away from the business of the people by proroguing, hiding like a bunch of pansies
How many times did Cretien prorogue Soc?
The Afghanistan detainee problem that keeps getting bigger and bigger as the Conservatives are force to answer damaging questions.
Under who's watch were the original policies on detainees set?

nothing good but lots of trickery, bigotry and hypocrisy
You must be talking about th eLPoC again, shall I post the list of Liberal unethical behavior for comparison?

Last edited by a moderator:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"Created a deficit of 56 billion and will add 170 billion to the debt by 2016."

I think you've been listening to S.J.P. for too long and I think your brain is becoming addlepated. You both keep yapping about one side of the equation. A figure like that be itself means absolutely nothing. To give you a fair analogy it's like saying you are a $100, 000 in debt while I am only $10 in debt- but failing to say you live in a $500 000 house while I live in a tent. If you are going to make comparisons you have to include ALL the figures and conditions. It's a totally different world now than it was 10 years ago. I hope guys both quit your B.S. soon- it's getting tedious.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me....they also abandoned their principles to hold on to power.:lol:
Abandoned?

I think not...

The people on the Titanic abandoned, what the CPoC did, was redefined the word, in a pathetic attempt to hold on to power. Hence my assertions, that politicians don't care about the country, they care about power, and they would ***** their sister to keep it, period.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
"Created a deficit of 56 billion and will add 170 billion to the debt by 2016."

I think you've been listening to S.J.P. for too long and I think your brain is becoming addlepated. You both keep yapping about one side of the equation. A figure like that be itself means absolutely nothing. To give you a fair analogy it's like saying you are a $100, 000 in debt while I am only $10 in debt- but failing to say you live in a $500 000 house while I live in a tent. If you are going to make comparisons you have to include ALL the figures and conditions. It's a totally different world now than it was 10 years ago. I hope guys both quit your B.S. soon- it's getting tedious.

:roll:

Sure, I use the same fugures and conditions the cons (some within the Harper cabinet) used when Bob Rae ran up deficits in Ontario....that was bad....somehow this time....it's good.

I do know this...the Tories are spending more than the Libs did and threw away 17 billion in income by cutting the GST....so...we had a wittle recession...is this not time to reduce spending as per the request of Reformers and Cons in the 90's?

Roll your chair outside and get some sun.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Abandoned?

I think not...

The people on the Titanic abandoned, what the CPoC did, was redefined the word, in a pathetic attempt to hold on to power. Hence my assertions, that politicians don't care about the country, they care about power, and they would ***** their sister to keep it, period.

Yep...the cons in an attempt to keep out the Libs have become them.

As per usual the right and left rush to defend what they use to rant about.:roll:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yep...the cons in an attempt to keep out the Libs have become them.
Yep, no argument there.

As per usual the right and left rush to defend what they use to rant about.:roll:
:lol:

I was actually looking for an article I read a while ago, about how Harpo is more like the liberals of years past, then the liberals are today, to stuff in SPA's face. But I can't find the damn thing. I should have saved a copy of it.