The definition of Liberalism

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Classical liberalism is a political ideology that developed in the 19th century in England, Western Europe, and the Americas.

It is committed to the ideal of limited governmentand liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press,assembly, and free markets. Notable individuals who have contributed to classical liberalism include Jean-Baptiste Say, Thomas Malthus, and David Ricardo. There was a revival of interest in classical liberalism in the 20th century led by Friedrich Hayek, Milton Friedman and other economists.

The phrase classical liberalism is also sometimes used to refer to all forms of liberalism before the 20th century. And, after 1970, the phrase began to be used by libertarians to describe their belief in the primacy of economic freedom and minimal government. It is sometimes difficult to tell which meaning is intended in a given source.

Definitions

The phrase classical liberalism is used in standard academic sources to mean early liberalism, often with particular emphasis on the liberalism of Jacksonian democracy in the 19th Century, which stressed laissez-faire economics and originalism.

Another use of the phrase is by libertarians, who use it to mean a form of liberalism in which the government does not provide social services or regulate industry and banking. Libertarians often claim that this belief was shared by the American Founding Fathers.

Libertarian classical liberalism is also called laissez-faire liberalism.
The philosophy of classical liberalism in the libertarian sense of the phrase includes a belief in rational self-interest, property rights, natural rights, civil liberties, individual freedom, equality under the law, limited government, and free markets.....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It is committed to the ideal of limited governmentand liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press,assembly, and free markets.

My, that sounds like the old PC party we used to have.

Certainly we have nothing like that in Canada at present.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
My, that sounds like the old PC party we used to have.

Certainly we have nothing like that in Canada at present.

Yes we do. it is called Liberal Party. In fact, there used to be Liberal party in Britain. In the old days, the two big parties were Liberal Party (which was Whig party transformed) and the Tories. Then Liberal Party collapsed there was mass migration to Labour Party and the Liberal party that was left was a rump of the former party.

But the Liberal Party today retaines many features of the former Liberal party in Britain, with perhaps a bit less emphasis on limited government.

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I wasn't aware that our Liberal Party supported 'free markets'.

I must go re-read the red book and all the other literature I have on my shelf.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Oh, here it is.

Michael Ignatieff, July 8, 2009
But we know that markets do not naturally serve the public interest. Left to themselves, they generate unwelcome externalities, like extreme income inequality and pollution of the environment. Protection of the public interest requires regulation.

Free markets, except when they're not.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I wasn't aware that our Liberal Party supported 'free markets'.

I must go re-read the red book and all the other literature I have on my shelf.

They most certainly do. After prolonged Trudeau rule and prolonged Chretien/Martin rule, Canada remains a very capitalistic, free market oriented country. Why Canada is probably as much free market oriented as USA.

Essence of liberalism is free market.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Oh, here it is.

Michael Ignatieff, July 8, 2009

Free markets, except when they're not.

Free market does NOT mean unfettered free market, left to do whatever it wants. Free market needs reasonable constraints. We have seen what happens to an unbridled free market in the recent sub prime fiasco in USA. So of course there has be be reasonable regulation.

Anyway, my guess was right (as it usually is). Canada is fully as much free market as USA, perhaps even slightly more. Canada is 72% free market, USA is 70% free market.

Free Market by Country - Swivel

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Quite so.

What does that have to do with the Liberal Party?

Everything. Liberals have governed for the major part of the last century and Canada is for the most part free market economy, as much free market as USA. Liberals have not stifled free market, they have encouraged it.

Libertarian

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Yes we do. it is called Liberal Party. In fact, there used to be Liberal party in Britain. In the old days, the two big parties were Liberal Party (which was Whig party transformed) and the Tories. Then Liberal Party collapsed there was mass migration to Labour Party and the Liberal party that was left was a rump of the former party.

But the Liberal Party today retaines many features of the former Liberal party in Britain, with perhaps a bit less emphasis on limited government.

No it doesn't. Not at all. Modern liberal party doesn't at all support true freedom of speech, nor many other essential freedoms.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
No it doesn't. Not at all. Modern liberal party doesn't at all support true freedom of speech, nor many other essential freedoms.
For a guy who uses a scene from the Matrix as an avatar, you don't seem to grasp the reality of the situation. We are programmed from birth to believe this is reality. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Politics is the core of the Matrix. Schools, media, politics and religion are all programming tools used to convince us that what we think of as reality has some validity. It doesn't. It is just a program, a holographic construct. Nobody is free. We are all stuck in a lie. Welcome to the Matrix.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Classical liberalism is a political ideology that developed in the 19th century in England, Western Europe, and the Americas.

It is committed to the ideal of limited governmentand liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press,assembly, and free markets. Notable individuals who have contributed to classical liberalism include Jean-Baptiste Say, Thomas Malthus, and David Ricardo. There was a revival of interest in classical liberalism in the 20th century led by Friedrich Hayek, Milton Friedman and other economists.

The phrase classical liberalism is also sometimes used to refer to all forms of liberalism before the 20th century. And, after 1970, the phrase began to be used by libertarians to describe their belief in the primacy of economic freedom and minimal government. It is sometimes difficult to tell which meaning is intended in a given source.

Definitions

The phrase classical liberalism is used in standard academic sources to mean early liberalism, often with particular emphasis on the liberalism of Jacksonian democracy in the 19th Century, which stressed laissez-faire economics and originalism.

Another use of the phrase is by libertarians, who use it to mean a form of liberalism in which the government does not provide social services or regulate industry and banking. Libertarians often claim that this belief was shared by the American Founding Fathers.

Libertarian classical liberalism is also called laissez-faire liberalism.
The philosophy of classical liberalism in the libertarian sense of the phrase includes a belief in rational self-interest, property rights, natural rights, civil liberties, individual freedom, equality under the law, limited government, and free markets.....
Yup. Unfortunately, in Canada we have something like a cross between social and embedded liberalism which seems to have very little to do with classical liberalism, which is what we used to have.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
They most certainly do. After prolonged Trudeau rule and prolonged Chretien/Martin rule, Canada remains a very capitalistic, free market oriented country. Why Canada is probably as much free market oriented as USA.

Essence of liberalism is free market.
Wrong, the essence of liberalism (classical) is liberty (from the Latin liberalis (of freedom).

Liberalism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Exactly. Our Liberal party is populist and arrogant and mostly only interferes with business when there's crime (sometimes perpetrated by Liberal party members themselves). Otherwise businesses can do what they will to the public.