Reform poster-boy Rahim Jaffer walks

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Surprised this hasn't come up here..... so I'll bring it up.

Article by James Travers

Travers: Tories feeling the sting of ' hyprocisy' label

March 11, 2010
James Travers

Conservatives in power quickly grasped that nothing sticks like a label. Tax-and-spend Liberals were branded as soft on crime, the NDP leader became Taliban Jack and diplomat Richard Colvin was a terrorist dupe.
But in politics, as in real life, what goes around, comes around. A ruling party that's been so successful reducing rational debate to emotional slurs now has a keen interest in keeping voters from jumping to conclusions.
Along with presiding judge Doug Maund, most Canadians recognize the legal break that let former Reform poster-boy Rahim Jaffer walk out of a provincial court this week with barely a scratch and no criminal record. In their guts those same law-abiding, taxpaying citizens just absolutely know they wouldn't be nearly so lucky in plea bargaining their way off the twin hooks of impaired driving and possession of cocaine.
Of course there's no more evidence that Jaffer got a sweetheart deal than there is that budget-balancing Liberals care more about criminals than victims, that Jack Layton's patriotism is suspect or that Colvin is anything other than a conscientious, unusually courageous civil servant. After all, every year thousands of charges are dropped in courtrooms across the province and country for sound legal reasons.
Still, it's more than awkward for "do-the-crime, do the time" Conservatives that Jaffer, once the front-man for the Conservative caucus and still the husband of testy junior cabinet minister Helena Guergis, is so widely seen as escaping the full weight of the law. Self-evident in their equivocal support for a former colleague and member of the Conservative family is the certain knowledge that they, too, are now victims of public suspicion, clinging perceptions and snap judgments.
In this case, those judgments carry the extra lash of irony. Way back in 2006, Conservatives used Liberal "entitlement" as a stick to beat power out of the then natural governing party. Since then, Stephen Harper has spared no effort or expense (two GST cuts set Canada's course toward deficits long before the financial collapse) in connecting his party with what is paternally known in the national capital as "ordinary Canadians."
About the last thing Conservatives now need is to be seen as the newest members of a privileged Ottawa elite preaching high standards for the rest of us while imposing on themselves more, well, flexible rules. That's known as hypocrisy, rarely a political asset and fast becoming a liability.
Run a moist finger down recent events and find Finance Minister Jim Flaherty flying off in a federal corporate jet just hours after promising to tighten the national belt. Or, to cite just one of many other examples, this government, the one that came to power solemnly promising accountability, is now using every rhetorical and procedural dodge to keep secret what ministers and generals knew about Afghan prisoner abuse.
More worrying than the examples is the trend. Schoolyard insults and finger-pointing are silencing fact-based debate while burying principle and policy under a steaming heap of hyperbole. One result is a deepening of the political polarization that Liberals memorably turned to their advantage by accusing Conservatives, one election campaign after another, of harbouring a secret agenda. Another is that it further distances Canadians from politicians who too often seem more interested in scoring points in a meaningless game than in building a consensus on what's best for the country.
It's possible, if far from likely, that the Jaffer embarrassment will be instructive for Conservatives. A party that prospers by sticking labels on its opponents now must peel from itself one that screams a warning about double standards.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It's all due to the liberal judges we have, letting people walk when they should be throwing them in jail.

Probably makes Jaffer's head spin, realizing that if the legal system worked the way he wanted it to, he'd be in a cell right now.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Surprised this hasn't come up here..... so I'll bring it up.

Article by James Travers

Travers: Tories feeling the sting of ' hyprocisy' label

March 11, 2010
James Travers

About the last thing Conservatives now need is to be seen as the newest members of a privileged Ottawa elite preaching high standards for the rest of us while imposing on themselves more, well, flexible rules. That's known as hypocrisy, rarely a political asset and fast becoming a liability.
It's too late. Painting all politicians with the same brush is not such a erroneous thing to do as it is with other groups. There are exceptions, but politicians in general keep proving themselves to be dishonorable, especially when they get their greedy little mitts on any kind of power.
And the courts seem to be getting more and more out-of-touch with reality. Crooks belong in jail, regardless of who or what else they are.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It is completely outrageous.........nobody gets possession of cocaine charges dropped....either he had the stuff or he didn't....and I don't give a flying tuck if he did or not.......and did he, or did he not take a breathalyzer? Either way, if he blew over the limit, or refused to blow, he is guilty as hell.......

This is simply another example of how the elites are privileged......judges and politicians come from the same society......Liberal or Conservative has little to do with it.

One should NEVER trust government.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The label of hypocrisy has stuck to conservatives for decades now. From time to time hypocrisy on the part of some conservative is exposed. A few days ago a Republican state senator in California was exposed as gay. He had spent his political life crusading against homosexuality, trying to deny equal rights to gays. He has decided not to run for reelection.

So hypocrisy and conservatism are often synonymous. Indeed, a conservative must be able to split his mind right down the middle and hold two opposing thoughts in his mind at the same time.

Homosexuality is bad except when I practice it.

Tougher law and order is good, it is a great vote getter, except when it applies to me.

Abortion is wrong, unless my wife or daughter has to get one.

And so on. So this latest instance is really in tune with what conservatism is about.

Incidentally, watch all conservatives here run to the support of this character. We need tough law and order, but of course what happened to this conservative MP was right and proper. I have said it many times, I don't think most conservatives even understand the concept of hypocrisy.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
It's all due to the liberal judges we have, letting people walk when they should be throwing them in jail.

Probably makes Jaffer's head spin, realizing that if the legal system worked the way he wanted it to, he'd be in a cell right now.

This was a Tory appointed judge.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It is completely outrageous.........nobody gets possession of cocaine charges dropped....either he had the stuff or he didn't....and I don't give a flying tuck if he did or not.......and did he, or did he not take a breathalyzer? Either way, if he blew over the limit, or refused to blow, he is guilty as hell.......

This is simply another example of how the elites are privileged......judges and politicians come from the same society......Liberal or Conservative has little to do with it.

One should NEVER trust government.
Egg Zachary. The legal system is the legal system regardless of who composes the government.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The label of hypocrisy has stuck to conservatives for decades now. From time to time hypocrisy on the part of some conservative is exposed.
The same can be said of the Gliberals.
A few days ago a Republican state senator in California was exposed as gay. He had spent his political life crusading against homosexuality, trying to deny equal rights to gays. He has decided not to run for reelection.
With your fixation on the USA, maybe you should move there.

So hypocrisy and conservatism are often synonymous. Indeed, a conservative must be able to split his mind right down the middle and hold two opposing thoughts in his mind at the same time.
The Gliberals taught them well.

Homosexuality is bad except when I practice it.
I'm not surprised you think so.

Tougher law and order is good, it is a great vote getter, except when it applies to me.
Ah, your narcissism is showing.

Abortion is wrong, unless my wife or daughter has to get one.
You have a daughter, too? She must be the black sheep of the family because you've never mentioned her before. Or is it just her gender. I've heard that in China, girls are second class, too. Shame on you.

And so on. So this latest instance is really in tune with what conservatism is about.
Or liberalism.

Incidentally, watch all conservatives here run to the support of this character. We need tough law and order, but of course what happened to this conservative MP was right and proper. I have said it many times, I don't think most conservatives even understand the concept of hypocrisy.
You don't think the Glibs taught them the concept?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Does anyone know why the serious charges were dropped or are we assuming he is guilty. Maybe the investigation was flawed, or maybe they had no evidence and the charges were dropped for legitimate reasons.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Does anyone know why the serious charges were dropped or are we assuming he is guilty. Maybe the investigation was flawed, or maybe they had no evidence and the charges were dropped for legitimate reasons.

Could be anything, evidence could have been crap, who knows, but I think that it would behoove the crown to give some explanation...without it, speculation will run rampant.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This was a Tory appointed judge.

Which makes absolutely no difference........the judge has no discretion in the matter of dropping charges, that is done by the prosecutor....in Liberal ruled Ontario.

I just listened to NDP federal Justice Critic Comartin say he does not believe anything improper happened in this case.....but the prosecutor's office needs to explain, thus clearing the air....so justice can be seen to be done.

Interesting.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

We are not assuming he is guilty, we just don't know. You can be sure if he had been an ordinary citizen rather than a Conservative MP, he would have been charged.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Sure I noticed that, but a Tory appointed judge is hardly likely to be liberal, or Liberal, is he now?

(sigh) Perhaps someone could inform SJP that the Judge has NO discretion on charges....that the charges were dropped by a (undoubtedly) Liberal prosecutor...........I am on his ignore list. He really doesn't like to be corrected.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
(sigh) Perhaps someone could inform SJP that the Judge has NO discretion on charges....that the charges were dropped by a (undoubtedly) Liberal prosecutor...........I am on his ignore list. He really doesn't like to be corrected.

You're kidding!

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
It is really a simple case of one law for the poor, another law for the rich, and still another law for the politicians. I prefer the way the law was applied in ancient Sumer in which the wealthy and the nobility were punished more harshly due to the fact that they were supposed to set a proper example for the rest of the population.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It is really a simple case of one law for the poor, another law for the rich, and still another law for the politicians. I prefer the way the law was applied in ancient Sumer in which the wealthy and the nobility were punished more harshly due to the fact that they were supposed to set a proper example for the rest of the population.
Ya! Public flogging! Yippy! I'll apply for the job. Ya!