Steelworkers concerned about federal plans for more foreign investment

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Im beginning to feel that maybe i spoke too soon and i think i might be at a cross roads in my opinion about this kind of thing now...

I advise everyone interested in this kind of thing to read the comments section, there is a well informed individual posting some good stuff canadians should see.

Sudbury Local News - Steelworkers concerned about federal plans for more foreign investment

The United Steelworkers put out a press release March 3 stating they are concerned with the federal government's statements in the throne speech about opening the door to more foreign investment.
“Protecting Canadian communities should be the first order of business of our federal government," Ken Neumann, United Steelworkers national director, said in a press release. "However, in the Throne Speech, Mr. Harper has indicated he is going to further abdicate his responsibility to ensure communities are the net beneficiaries of foreign ownership.”

“It is outrageous that this government has refused to side with Canadian communities and workers as foreign multinational after foreign multinational buy up Canadian companies and end up devastating our resource communities. Today’s statement rather than indicating the government will come to the aid of our communities by putting more teeth in the Investment Canada Act, will actually add insult to the injury communities like Sudbury and Hamilton are experiencing.”
Foreign takeovers by companies like Vale Inco, Xstrata and U.S. Steel have failed to be a “net benefit” to Canada as the law requires, the press release stated.
These takeovers have resulted in thousands of lost jobs, the closing of vital plants and mills, and the transferring of industrial production outside our borders.
Harper’s government has failed to make those companies live up to their lawful requirements, and have even refused to make public the promises made by these companies, stated the press release.
“This is a tragic failure of our federal government at a time when many Canadian workers are looking for leadership in protecting their jobs and their communities,” Neumann said.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
That opens the door for Voicy's Bay ore to go to Brazil. Sudbury's is expensive to get ... but they DO own the mineral rights so nobody else can have at it.

Way to go Canadian Government. They STILL don't get it....

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
That opens the door for Voicy's Bay ore to go to Brazil. Sudbury's is expensive to get ... but they DO own the mineral rights so nobody else can have at it.

Way to go Canadian Government. They STILL don't get it....

And what gets me confused is that the UNIONS are fighting against this... If they gutted out the way they protect bottam feeders then i might become a union man again.... Cause they seem to be the only ones vocal about this

Im so confused who is on my side?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Johnny, the recession highlighted the disparity between private vs public sector jobs/union jobs. I don't think the steelworkers are going to find much sympathy nor do they deserve any.