Teens glued to screens less close to family: study

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Its like ive been saying the whole time, go outside get some fresh air and see the world for what it is. The only XBOX in my life is my ex :D

Teens glued to screens less close to family: study - CTV News

The more time teens spend watching television or playing on a computer or games console, the less likely they are to be close to their family and friends, new research suggests.
Researchers from the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand, have found that the risk for teens having a low attachment to their parents increased for every hour the teens spent in front of the television, or playing on a computer or gaming console.
Rosalina Richards and colleagues studied 3,043 14- and 15-year-olds in 2004. The teens completed a questionnaire about their free-time habits. They also answered a questionnaire, called the Inventory of Parent and Peer Attachment, which is designed to assess their attachment to parents and peers. The questionnaire asks about such things as mutual trust and quality of communications between teens and their parents and friends.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I have played video games all my life i am close with my mom, but not with my dad. there goes the so called research.
Actually, critter, there have been more than one study suggesting this very same thing. And one incidence not following the pattern is not enough to throw the entire batch research in the dustbin.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I was raised as my dad put it to "get Lost"...... When it was sunny and i was 13-15 i was given 5 bucks and told to get lost lol....

And it was the greatest thing, i learned alot about life running through the woods like the wind. I learned all the trees, basic rocks, basic car repair, i was just friggin learning.....

i got one of my first kiss's from my sandbox sweetheart during one of my get lost outings...

Then in the summer my grandpa and dad since when i was 10 to 15 had me working in their machine shops, they said they were trying to teach me the value of a hard days work. I learned to sandblast and weld, operate plastic machines, and learned all the parts to diamond drills.

If i had stayed at home playing video games during all that time like some of the people i know, id probally be a sorry piece of work like them

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun

Anna i have a buddy who is my age, who has like actually 50 games for his xbox. He hates the world, and is actually becoming suicidal, because as he puts it the world is passing him by. But he doesnt want to admit he is addicted to video games. Its really sad, when he gets mad he throws a fit like a child.

and im going to even say he is absolutely useless to society

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Could be.
I wonder how many video games Willy Pickton has, or even if he played any.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
Actually, critter, there have been more than one study suggesting this very same thing. And one incidence not following the pattern is not enough to throw the entire batch research in the dustbin.

yea just cause study shows something does not make it true. just cuse poll say something does not make it true.

You have millions of kids out there more than they can go do some "research" they need to test everyone.

that means nothing to me. in fact a teen center here with video games food, and sports help teens stay out of trouble. lowest rate crime in awhile.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
there millions of reason why people can be suicidal ( i had friend who was like that, she still here thank god) another story for something else.

but i am going to assume you guys think violence is cause of video games too right??? i mean you here judging some people. Without knowing them fully.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
Jonny i still have you block, that does not mean i can't see your post, its in fact i just have to log off, i want to read what you said. first before anything else. Cause if i see something i won't like i won't replay.

you are still block at this moment could it change sure, but thats not what you made this thread about.

In a way sure research can help but also its not fully true to extant either.