Louis Riel, Hound or Hero?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
WINNIPEG - The Prime Minister's Office is joining opposition politicians in condemning an Alberta Conservative MP for calling Manitoba founder and Metis leader Louis Riel a "villain" with blood on his hands who stood in the way of Confederation.
Edmonton East MP Peter Goldring made the remarks in a December pamphlet to "set the record straight" about Riel's actions in the late 1800s. In the newsletter, Goldring calls Riel a "villain" who is responsible for all those who died during the Northwest and Red River rebellions.
Although Riel is considered to be the founder of Manitoba, Goldring argues the Metis leader doesn't deserve to be seen as a Father of Confederation.
"Riel didn't 'Father' Confederation; he fought those who did," reads the brochure, originally posted on Goldring's website. It was removed on Friday.
"To unhang Louis Riel and to mount a statue to him on Parliament Hill would elevate anarchy and civil disobedience to that of democratic statesmanship."
The brochure was apparently prompted by Winnipeg New Democrat MP Pat Martin's private member's bill, introduced in November, which would have overturned Riel's treason conviction and formally recognized him as a Father of Confederation.
Goldring did not respond to calls for comment. But the Prime Minister's Office was quick to respond, condemning the brochure and its view of Riel.
"This document is absolutely not, in any way, an initiative of our government or our party," said Dimitri Soudas, a spokesman for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, in an emailed statement.
"This is a personal initiative of MP Goldring which we strongly disapprove of. Louis Riel is a historical and controversial figure. But he played an important role in the development of Canada and in the protection of the rights and culture of the Metis and Francophones in Canada."
Riel led two uprisings against the Canadian government - the Red River Rebellion of 1869 and the Northwest Rebellion in 1885 - as he fought to preserve the rights and culture of the Metis.
The provisional government he established in Manitoba negotiated the terms by which the province entered Confederation.
He was elected to Parliament three times but never took his seat since he lived in exile as a fugitive. He was arrested following the Northwest Rebellion in what is now Saskatchewan before being tried for high treason.

TELUS, news, headlines, stories, breaking, canada, canadian, national

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Somehow I can't make a hero out of a guy that led two rebellions against the Canadian government. of John A. MacDonald. He was tried and convicted of treason and hanged. Can we unhang him?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
To me he is kinda like John Brown, John Brown well he broke the law but for a good cause. Lious Reil he broke the law for a good cause also...

They made a song of brown and gave brown a statue, i guess riel could get a statue

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
To me he is kinda like John Brown, John Brown well he broke the law but for a good cause. Lious Reil he broke the law for a good cause also...

They made a song of brown and gave brown a statue, i guess riel could get a statue

Riel got quite a decent statue in Winnipeg. I can see why he might be some kind of hero to some people but Riel's actions opposed John A. MacDonald's plan to build a railroad across the country and nothing was going to stop that railroad.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
"The Prime Minister's Office is joining opposition politicians in condemning an Alberta Conservative MP for calling Manitoba founder and Metis leader Louis Riel a "villain" with blood on his hands who stood in the way of Confederation.". Is Harper looking for votes in Manitoba?

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
When I went to school a long time ago in Manitoba, Riel was a traitor. Now he's a hero. I'm confused. I guess history keeps getting rewritten differently, depending on who's doing the writing and how things have changed since those days.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
When I went to school a long time ago in Manitoba, Riel was a traitor. Now he's a hero. I'm confused. I guess history keeps getting rewritten differently, depending on who's doing the writing and how things have changed since those days.

Probably because when we went to school political correctness hadn't been invented. Also a matter of perspective. Paul Revere was a hero to the Yankees but a traitor to the British.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Out of curiosity, how long has that statue of Riel been in Winnipeg?

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Out of curiosity, how long has that statue of Riel been in Winnipeg?

Well, let's see...if it's the one I'm thinking about (on the banks of the Assiniboine River across from the Legislative building), it was put up sometime in the late 60s. Just a guess. And, if it's the one I'm thinking about, it looks like some sort of bird with an oversized head.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well, let's see...if it's the one I'm thinking about (on the banks of the Assiniboine River across from the Legislative building), it was put up sometime in the late 60s. Just a guess. And, if it's the one I'm thinking about, it looks like some sort of bird with an oversized head.

This is the one I'm thinking about:

I'm not sure where it is in Winnipeg.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I haven't been there for almost twenty years. I'm thinking that statue might be in Assiniboine Park(sp) Not sure.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Louis Riel's actions led to the deaths of 80 people including Thomas Scott whom Riel executed.

Louis Riel's Biography -  Thomas Scott

Riel set up a provisional government that represented a majority of the people in a territory without any other legitimate authority......if any government has legitimate power to act, Riel's did.

Riel negotiated the entry of Manitoba into the Confederation, in the same way the Union was negotiated at first, and in the same way PEI negotiated entry in 1873 (if I remember correctly) Yes, recognized or not, Louis Riel is a Father of Confederation......in the same way Joey Smallwood is.....

The Northwest Rebellion was largely the result of the slaughter of the buffalo, an influx of settlers, and the building of the railroad......much of it in violation of signed treaties.....in a land where the people were starving to death...literally.

When your people are being abused to death, armed rebellion becomes a duty......one Riel rose to....the desperation of their situation can be guaged by the fact that there were also small Cree uprisings at the same time, independent of Riel.

Now, all that said, Riel was certifiable. A complete nutbar, probably schizophrenic, with auditory and visual hallucinations and religious delusions. The backbone, the hero, the extremely competent military leder of both rebellions was Gabriel DuMont.......ad the last battle of the Northwest Rebellion was lost as Riel took over as tactician...:roll:

And that's how I see it.

Reactions: gerryh

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I haven't been there for almost twenty years. I'm thinking that statue might be in Assiniboine Park(sp) Not sure.

My sister in Winnipeg advises me that the statue in question is on Assiniboine Ave. "behind" the Legislature building. The base of the dome on that building is just visible at the hem of his coat there. "Mystery" solved. (I had no idea where it was)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Anybody who bucks the system is automatically labeled a lunatic but if it weren't for lunatics we would still be under the boot of oppressive monarchs and dictators - Oh crap! we are!