THE PERFECT POLITICIAN – Who Would That Be?

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Many people have an opinion on politicians these days, with a lot of focus on what's wrong with them.

I'm wondering if it's possible to come up with a list of qualities that would make the “perfect politician?” What kind of background, work experience, personal characteristics, and whatever else you think might be important.

I have federal politics in mind, but hey, politics is politics so any level of government could/should/would work here.

Might be fun to dwell on the positive for a change and see if a profile emerges that would make you vote for this perfect politician in the next big election...might be fun to try!

After all, Christmas is upon us and we could give a big "gift" to our elected representatives here by showing them how they could become perfect just by following our list of requirements! :lol:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Just for starters, I'd like to see all politicians have the ability to be civil during Question Period...call it "keeping cool under fire."

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A partial list would be
1. At the outset lays out his philosophy and beliefs.
2. More interested in getting a solid base of supporters than winning an election.
3. Loyalty first to his supporters, second to the pary and leader.
4. REstricts his list of promises to a maximum of three.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Ability to listen to and understand an opposing viewpoint without necessarily agreeing with it - as long as he/she has good reasons to disagree (Good reason being, what's best for all in the long haul)

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
counciliatory yet steadfast in opinion
a vision for the future
financial accumen
a solid grasp of the past
acceptance of success as well as failure
good decision making under pressure
the ability to do the "right thing" whether popular or not (see first bullet)

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
a vision for the future
financial accumen

Woo, that is one fine list! I really like the "Vision for the future"...I don't think we're seeing a lot of that these days...

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
One politician that comes to mind here is T.C. (Tommy Douglas) from Saskatchewan. Although I probably disagree(d) with much of his basic political philosophy, I remember him as being a gentlemen in his pursuit of his beliefs. And for that, I still respect him...

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Anyone willing to run for election as an Independent.

fine throw your vote away, jk

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
a vision for the future
financial accumen

Good list, I'd make one slight change

steadfast in values, flexible with opinions.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
One politician that comes to mind here is T.C. (Tommy Douglas) from Saskatchewan. Although I probably disagree(d) with much of his basic political philosophy, I remember him as being a gentlemen in his pursuit of his beliefs. And for that, I still respect him...

Yep, both he and Stanley Knowles.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Yep, both he and Stanley Knowles.

Yes, he was from the north end of Winnipeg, if memory serves. Both he and Tommy Douglas had qualities (gentlemen of vision with a sense of bulldogedness) that I can't seem to find too easily these days...