Are Women Ready for Real Portfolios?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Women are butter, men are guns - The Globe and Mail

In a Globe and Male opinion piece, Jane Taber argues that the important (Read-requiring thought and problem-solving skills) portfolios in the Federal Government are always male appointees. Think of Defence, Foreign Affairs, Finance- fit for only the tough minded!. Women get Culture, Health - softer issues that don't require immediate decision making.

It's our cultural and political zeitgeist, isn't it?

Do you think women will ever be ready in this Kingdom? Personally I don't think we'd be in the Big A if women were in charge. They simple couldn't use Google-Earth technology to find out where these obscure and distant lands are - lands which are so obviously important for the welfare of us men!

Will women ever be ready, or is genetics too great a barrier to breach?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Who is this Parliamentarian?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Health is a softer issue that doesn't require immediate decision making?

You haven't been paying attention, obviously...... :)

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Especially in a Conservative government, women are usually second class citizens (Mulroney was somewhat of an exception in this regard). So it doesn’t surprise me that all the important positions in the cabinet are occupied by men, and there are only a few token women in secondary, unimportant portfolios.

That way women won’t mess things up too badly, and leave white men to do the important work of the state, namely bring a Conservative Utopia, a Conservative paradise to Canada.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Especially in a Conservative government, women are usually second class citizens (Mulroney was somewhat of an exception in this regard). So it doesn’t surprise me that all the important positions in the cabinet are occupied by men, and there are only a few token women in secondary, unimportant portfolios.

That way women won’t mess things up too badly, and leave white men to do the important work of the state, namely bring a Conservative Utopia, a Conservative paradise to Canada.
I believe the first women prime minister of Canada was a conservative.
Do you recognize the lady below?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I think the real question is "Are men ready for women to have real portfolios"!!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Yep.

The first female PM was a PC..........but the Conservatives hate women.

The Health portfolio, one of the largest and most important portfolios going, is manned by a native woman, but the Conservatives hate women. (and natives)

Although the Conservatives have trouble attracting female candidates, and thus have very few female MPs, almost all of the Conservative female MPs are either in the Cabinet, or are Parliamentary secretaries........but the Conservatives hate women.

Jean Chretien said he liked women in cabinet "because the were so compliant". But the Conservatives hate women.

Right.

Reactions: AnnaG

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I believe the first women prime minister of Canada was a conservative.
Do you recognize the lady below?

What ‘lady below’, pgs? You haven’t posted any picture. And in case you missed my post or only read in it what you wanted to read (a common occurrence, if I might add), I did say in my post that Mulroney was somewhat of an exception. Kim Campbell was in his cabinet; Mulroney let her find her own level. So Mulroney shares some of the credit for the first woman PM.

He let Campbell flourish, and of course he made such a gigantic mess of things that he had to resign, thereby paving the way for Campbell.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yep.

The first female PM was a PC..........but the Conservatives hate women.

The Health portfolio, one of the largest and most important portfolios going, is manned by a native woman, but the Conservatives hate women. (and natives)

Although the Conservatives have trouble attracting female candidates, and thus have very few female MPs, almost all of the Conservative female MPs are either in the Cabinet, or are Parliamentary secretaries........but the Conservatives hate women.

Jean Chretien said he liked women in cabinet "because the were so compliant". But the Conservatives hate women.

Right.
I guess it was just another episode where he just babbles out crap from habit rather than from thought. lol It's the old thing about opening mouth to change feet.
Wasn't Thatcher also a Conservative?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
What ‘lady below’, pgs? You haven’t posted any picture. And in case you missed my post or only read in it what you wanted to read (a common occurrence, if I might add), I did say in my post that Mulroney was somewhat of an exception. Kim Campbell was in his cabinet; Mulroney let her find her own level. So Mulroney shares some of the credit for the first woman PM.

He let Campbell flourish, and of course he made such a gigantic mess of things that he had to resign, thereby paving the way for Campbell.
Explain this "gigantic mess", please. Exactly what damage did he do, besides wind up the debt clock and try to pull a ChRETIeN?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

SJP, I believe he is talking about the pic. of Kim Campbell posted by Spade.