The New Canadian Citizenship Study Guide

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Good thing I was born here. The very first sentence would have stopped me from moving here. I would never pledge allegiance to a poodle.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The Equality of Women and Men​
In Canada, men and women are equal under the law. Canada’s openness and generosity do not extend
to barbaric cultural practices that tolerate spousal abuse, “honour killings,” female genital mutilation,
or other gender-based violence. Those guilty of these crimes are severely punished under Canada’s​
criminal laws

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Discover Canada

Two whole paragraphs covering the first 30 to 50 thousand years of our history. All the following pages are after the Europeans came and that's when human life and history began.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Life began after the Europeans came here? hhmmm I think your (paleface) history needs rewriting. :D

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I've skimmed through it; should be required reading for everyone, not just immigrants.

Probably should be taught in school. When my wife became a citizen I read through the study material and I guarantee that any immigrant that passes the test knows more about Canada then those of us that were born here. Here biggest complaint other than the allegiance to a poodle was that several of the Asians that got their citizen ship at the same time could not speak a word of English and had to be coached through the test by the immigration judge.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Honestly, I didn't see anything in that booklet that anyone should find offensive or that wasn't covered in our social studies courses in elementary and high school (mid 70s to mid 80s in Alberta).

The Oath is the only thing that seems new to me but again I don't take issue with it either.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Seems that not one vsible minority group - that has standing - meaning not nut bar radical - have complained about it - Only old white Liberals have - The old book was a joke - Post that link if you can find it - What is wrong about this that you find so offensive - Oh yes - A Conservative Govt published it.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Quick Canadian Test Item - taken from the new Tory Guide to Citizenship.

If you lived in Watrous, Saskatchewan, Toronto would be
A. Down East
B. Back East
C. In Upper Canada
D. In Different

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Quick Canadian Test Item - taken from the new Tory Guide to Citizenship.

If you lived in Watrous, Saskatchewan, Toronto would be
A. Down East
B. Back East
C. In Upper Canada
D. In Different
I pick D

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
"Taking responsibility for oneself and one’s family — Getting a job, taking care of one’s family, and working hard in keeping with one’s abilities, are important Canadian values. Work contributes to personal dignity and self-respect, and to Canada’s prosperity."

Print up hundreds of thousands of the above in sticky back.

When a new immigrant walks off the plane/boat/turnip truck/, slap one on his/her forehead, and tell them it's the law to keep it on for 5 years, to find productive work, and to pay back all the welfare they get in the interim.

Then go find a bunch of ass-sitting, welfare-sucking, born in Canada Canadians, and do the same for them.

They'll thank us for it, really. :roll:

I think I just became a conservative.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"Taking responsibility for oneself and one’s family — Getting a job, taking care of one’s family, and working hard in keeping with one’s abilities, are important Canadian values. Work contributes to personal dignity and self-respect, and to Canada’s prosperity."

Print up hundreds of thousands of the above in sticky back.

When a new immigrant walks off the plane/boat/turnip truck/, slap one on his/her forehead, and tell them it's the law to keep it on for 5 years, to find productive work, and to pay back all the welfare they get in the interim.

Then go find a bunch of ass-sitting, welfare-sucking, born in Canada Canadians, and do the same for them.

They'll thank us for it, really. :roll:

I think I just became a conservative.

When you sponsor a 'family class' immigrant, you have to agree that you will support them for 10 years without government assistance.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Why don't you tell me about "first" nations history then?
Btw, the topic IS about Canada and immigrants learning about it. The history of Canada is about Canada.

May I?
People always say, "Canada is a young country." Well, it's no younger than Italy which became a confederated state in 1867. No Italian would ever print a citizenship guide that only emphasized Italian history after 1867. Sorry, I have to agree with you, Anna!
Cousin Spade