The Great Canadian Parliamentary Seat Increase!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
So.....

the government is preparing legislation to increase the number of seats in the house to about 340, in an effort to provide better representation by population:

The newspaper quoted (Conservative) party sources as saying the province of Ontario would gain 10 seats, British Columbia seven and Alberta six because population growth is primarily surrounding cities in those provinces.

Federal electoral districts, or ridings, are disparate, the report said. Ridings in Prince Edward Island average 35,000 voters compared with Alberta's average of 127,000.

"If all ridings were equal, each would have about 108,000 people", the Globe said.

The Conservative government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper is short 12 seats of having a majority, and the party's support is particularly strong in Alberta and moderate in British Columbia, meaning the redistricting could lead to a Conservative majority after the next federal election.

The newspaper said of the five national parties, the separatist Bloc Quebecois, which holds 47 seats, would stand to lose the most as an increase in total seats decreases its proportionate clout in the House of Commons.

MyUSTINET News: Move Afoot To Expand Canadian Parliament

Oh it is all good!

The population better represented.

Quebec's undue influence lessened.

The BQ diminished as a force in Parliament.

And a better crack at majority gov't by the Conservatives....

Thoughts, anyone?

Lou Garu

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2009
Here
So.....

the government is preparing legislation to increase the number of seats in the house to about 340, in an effort to provide better representation by population:

Oh it is all good!

1: Quebec's undue influence lessened.

2: The BQ diminished as a force in Parliament.

3: And a better crack at majority gov't by the Conservatives....

4: Thoughts, anyone?

They would better represent us if they worried less about elections and just did the jobs they were voted in for.

1: Quebec's concerns is for Quebec mostly

2:I like the BQ, they scare the other parties

3:they need all the help they can scrape up

4: not till I have another coffee

btw , good link tks

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I am all for more electoral equality. This will probably be labeled as juggling parliament to gain a majority. Only Harpy knows what his motives would be for sure. He's a weird bugger. I think he's capable enough, but I think his religious leanings have formed him to be like he is: instead of becoming informed, he "plays god" and imposes his dogma, and if you object, then you are fair game to be preached against. He may do ok with a majority or not. As it sits now, though, he doesn't seem to be any better than the last three jerks.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Inappropriate Expansion Beyond Proportional Representation

The proposed legislation would be useless.

The electoral districts are redrawn with each decennial census to account for population change and growth. This legislation is just for show, as the changes would be superceded at the next census to make corrections anyway. This is another case of Her Majesty’s Government for Canada engaging Canadians in a misinformation and ‘smoke and mirrors’ campaign—the Conservative Party of Canada seems to trust that Canadians are stupid. And hey, if Canadians herald this proposal as glorious democratic reform, then perhaps they’re correct.

Since the electoral districts would have an automatic redraw anyway, I can only conclude that the Government’s push to redraw them early is so that they can have an ‘edge’ for the 41st General Election. So, that would mean that the trend presses on—(a) the Government passes pre-scheduled election date legislation, then proceeds to break the spirit of its own law by asking for an election even as it enjoyed the support of the House of Commons; (b) the prime minister asks the Governor General of Canada to prorogue the Parliament of Canada, even as a motion to defeat the Government is on the order paper; and (c) the Government pushes to expand Western representation beyond proportional numbers so that the Conservative Party has the advantage during the next election.

It is abundantly apparent that the Conservative Government is experiencing a bit of moral bankruptcy.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The proposed legislation would be useless.

The electoral districts are redrawn with each decennial census to account for population change and growth. This legislation is just for show, as the changes would be superceded at the next census to make corrections anyway. This is another case of Her Majesty’s Government for Canada engaging Canadians in a misinformation and ‘smoke and mirrors’ campaign—the Conservative Party of Canada seems to trust that Canadians are stupid. And hey, if Canadians herald this proposal as glorious democratic reform, then perhaps they’re correct.

Since the electoral districts would have an automatic redraw anyway, I can only conclude that the Government’s push to redraw them early is so that they can have an ‘edge’ for the 41st General Election. So, that would mean that the trend presses on—(a) the Government passes pre-scheduled election date legislation, then proceeds to break the spirit of its own law by asking for an election even as it enjoyed the support of the House of Commons; (b) the prime minister asks the Governor General of Canada to prorogue the Parliament of Canada, even as a motion to defeat the Government is on the order paper; and (c) the Government pushes to expand Western representation beyond proportional numbers so that the Conservative Party has the advantage during the next election.

It is abundantly apparent that the Conservative Government is experiencing a bit of moral bankruptcy.

You were doing fine up until the "beyond proportional numbers" bit........

any evidence of that?????

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
The only thing this does is add another 32 pigs to the trough - and will raise the cost of government by however many millions (plus pensions.) It is a typical Harper act - which is great show, but does nothing to solve the root problems that are facing our entire system government. Of course - his partisan supporters lap up the sugar candy he gives them...

Besides - what is the rush? The map will be re-drawn after the 2011 census.

The only reason Harper is pushing this is for Colpy's point #4. He could care less about better representing us.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Wanna fix the democratic system in Canada? There are two realistic options

1. P.R - proportional representation..Where what you get at the polls is proportionate to the seats you get to represent ,on behalf of the Canadians who voted for you..

or

A two party system ..

I prefer PR but would be satisfied with a two party system as long as it was able to properly represent the general /under priveledged public.

Canadian politicians have bent and distorted our political system to their own favour/interests so much, that the average and under priveledged people of this country are unable to benefit from the programs and public organizations that their taxs pay for.
The only people who tend to benefit from tax payers money are politicians and their interest groups.....

Perhaps Harper was right to want to cut manditory public funding to political parties ..Let them raise their own funds instead of using the peoples money to line their and their buddies pockets.

Programs and any thing publicly funded are for everyone who pays the taxes .

Time to open the useless self serving loops that hide/keep the money from the people who deserve it most. Let the money fall where it is needed,where it will benefit the people the most.Let the greedy/self centered others free fall through the cracks they have created..Then they, like many growing Canadians, will be begging for change in Canada..

Change will come..One way or another..

Our system has been abused to long..Time to cut useless programs that keep the money in the hands of political abuse..Time to open public programs and organizations up to the public ..Let us see where the money goes...

We have lost our democratic system..It has been taken and abused by those who are suppose to represent Canadians and Canada.....

Transparency and accountability are the words of the day..

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
More MPs in Parliament? Somebody kill me.
More power for Quebec? Somebody kill me.
More power for rural ridings? Somebody kill me.
More power for PEI? Somebody kill me.

Well, one out of four ain't a very good mark.......

More MP's in Parliament? Yes.

More power for Quebec? No...less power, as their standard seat count does not change in a larger Parliament.

More power for rural ridings? No...less power, as all the new ridings go to urban centres.

More power for PEI? No...less power, as their standard seat count does not change in a larger Parliament.

Somebody kill me.

I guess you'll just have to suffer along with the rest of us.......:cool:

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
So.....

Oh it is all good!

Thoughts, anyone?
Sure.
My thoughts are that this is a non issue.

Parliamentary seats increase and geographically change as Canada expands and grows.
This is how our system of governance works.
The next census is going to define where and how that growth is occurring.

So Harpo decides to step up the schedule by a year or so.
Big deal.
It's not immoral, it's not illegal and it isn't even unethical.
Cost isn't an issue as more ridings are automatically increased as populations shift and expand.

It is, of course, political.
Harpo would not step up the schedule unless he though he could create a viable swing seat or two.
Bad news tactically if you are a lefty and a foregone conclusion if you are right wing voter.
Somebody tell me a Liberal minority Government would not do exactly the same thing in the same circumstances.
It's business as usual.

Trex

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Sure.
My thoughts are that this is a non issue.

Parliamentary seats increase and geographically change as Canada expands and grows.
This is how our system of governance works.
The next census is going to define where and how that growth is occurring.

So Harpo decides to step up the schedule by a year or so.
Big deal.
It's not immoral, it's not illegal and it isn't even unethical.
Cost isn't an issue as more ridings are automatically increased as populations shift and expand.

It is, of course, political.
Harpo would not step up the schedule unless he though he could create a viable swing seat or two.
Bad news tactically if you are a lefty and a foregone conclusion if you are right wing voter.
Somebody tell me a Liberal minority Government would not do exactly the same thing in the same circumstances.
It's business as usual.

Trex

Exactly....big deal, so Harper does it early.......

It ain't gerrymandering, and it does mean we get better representation by population...

A political move? Of course!

Isn't everything? And this smells better than a lot of them.........it fact, it smells kinda good.....unless you have a Liberal nose. Or a BQ nose.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Exactly....big deal, so Harper does it early.......

It ain't gerrymandering, and it does mean we get better representation by population...

A political move? Of course!

Isn't everything? And this smells better than a lot of them.........it fact, it smells kinda good.....unless you have a Liberal nose. Or a BQ nose.

Except for the fact that is numbers are more or less arbitary, and not really based on hard numbers, just feelings, as opposed to a non-partisan body doing it.

But you lap up that candy he keeps giving you....

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So.....

Oh it is all good!

Thoughts, anyone?
If any one was serious about equality instead of spending untold millions more of taxpayer money on new politicians and all their staff they would just combine some of the over represented ridings and cut the number of snouts in the taxpayer trough until they can get spending under control.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Well, one out of four ain't a very good mark.......

More MP's in Parliament? Yes.

More power for Quebec? No...less power, as their standard seat count does not change in a larger Parliament.

More power for rural ridings? No...less power, as all the new ridings go to urban centres.

More power for PEI? No...less power, as their standard seat count does not change in a larger Parliament.

Somebody kill me.

I guess you'll just have to suffer along with the rest of us.......:cool:

I gotta say I'm having trouble understanding you here Colpy.

More MPs, that is the plan but it's dumb. The US has about twice as many congressmen with 10x the population. I passed grade 4 arithmetic you know.

PEI needs less seats. Why is it in Canada that once a group installs some unfair amendments in the constitution they can never be changed. It is like they win and everyone loses. We're like Americans in worshipping this piece of paper when it's supposed to work for us.

Rural votes across the country will be worth more because their ridings are smaller, this will not change. They ought to be all equal.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
If the Prime Minister makes more seats in Alberta and Saskatchewan than in Ontario and Quebec then he will get a majority

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It will just show how unprincipled Harper is. Continue to abuse the system for your own ends. Stand up to Quebec and take away seats from these ungrateful chumps? That's sissy stuff!

Québec is the most proportionately-represented province, no changes to its seat distribution are needed.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Has the goverment instituted these new taxes yet?

The prime minister has made it clear he believes there are no good taxes. But the federal government has had its hand in a substantial tax increase that's coming to residents of Ontario and B.C.
After July 1, federal and provincial consumption taxes will be combined into one harmonized tax, or HST, in these provinces, meaning some services that previously were only taxed with GST will now be hit with PST, too.
Prices for haircuts, dry cleaning, utilities, airfares and much, much more will rise by eight per cent in Ontario and seven per cent in B.C. In Ontario, a $20,000 home renovation bill that used to cost $1,000 extra in GST will rise to $2,600 in HST after Canada Day.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/10/06/f-hst-tax-0106.html

This should make for a happy Canada Day. Taxing haircuts. Watch who you elect.