Canadian Conservative Majority Campaign Thread

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Lets get the Conservatives elected to a majority. Just say no to the Liberals, BLOC and NDP. Join the new revolution and help convince your neighbours too!!

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Notion of a Conservative Majority

The very last thing that Canada needs at the moment is a majority for the Conservative Party of Canada.

The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister of Canada, has openly decried and campaigned against institutions meant to defend Canadians, such as the Honourable the Senate of Canada, and the Supreme Court of Canada. He has also twisted and bent constitutional conventions to his own designs, even endeavouring to drag the Office of the Governor General of Canada down to partisan levels to further the schemes of the Conservative Party. We have been able to prevent the darker agenda of Her Majesty’s Government for Canada through active (and plural) opposition in the House of Commons (despite the Government’s attempts to revoke and undermine the House’s legislative authority).

We have a Government that has no respect for the law (not even the laws which this Government had enacted, such as pre-scheduled election dates), no respect for the fundamental principles of justice and the independence of judicial institutions, and no respect for the Canadian people. That is not a Government that should be rewarded with a majority, but rather one that should be relegated to the backbenches of the opposition side of the House. Let’s see whether the Government sabotages its own budget (again) come this Autumn, and then accuses the Opposition of ‘forcing’ an election.

The Conservatives are a joke. :roll:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah a majority, then no one could stop all the stupid thing s the Neocons want to do with little america.:roll:

Come on gang let's all get together and see if we can really drive this sucker into the ground.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't think anyone can get a majority at this point (not a commanding
blowout majority anyway), but I do think that most Canadians are tired
of the almost Annual (it sure feels that way) Federal Election, and
whomever brings forth another election anytime soon will pay for it with
a much smaller presence in Parliament.

I could be wrong, but time will tell....:-|

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is where things where sitting after the last go 'round:

I believe there are currently three vacant seats....If we end up with an
Election being announced next week for five weeks later, then I'm
wrong....but I don't think anyone is dumb enough to gamble loosing
more ground at this time when things are so precariously balanced
power-wise.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Let's start a campaign to fill the House with independents. Let's just boycott party members. That ought to solve it.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The reality in Canada is that Ontario decides which party forms the government and Quebec decides whether it will be a minority or a majority government.

As of now, Conservatives are extremely unpopular in Québec; chances are they will lose some or all of the ten seats they hold, if election was held today. In view of that, I don’t see how Cons get a majority unless something unforeseen and drastic happens.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Declarations of War

Wouldn't it be fun to see a CPC majority? There'd be jobs for everyone:

I have mentioned this on several occasions, but I think it’s appropriate again here, given the discussion of whether or not the Conservatives deserve a majority to govern. When it comes to our current armed intervention in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, both the present and previous Governments have made one major mistake in planning. In my view, that mistake is that neither governing party has taken our mission there seriously. If the Conservatives (or the Liberals) truly believed their messages to us on how important our engagements there are, then either of those parties would have used the executive prerogative to recommend a formal declaration of war by Her Majesty The Queen of Canada, and dedicated the nation’s resources toward a complete and unarguable victory.

The fact that this was not done by either party makes me scorn both of them. Our engagements there are not a ‘game’ for the Government of the day to use as a ploy depending on the partisan environment or make-up of the moment—either we dedicate ourselves completely to the eradication of a serious threat and go all-out to make it happen; or, we admit that it was just a token show of action to start with by the Liberals, continued by the Conservatives, and shut the whole damned thing down.

On that note, one of the Conservative Government’s actions that I wish to applaud is the enhanced support for the Canadian Forces and other armed forces groups throughout the nation. Particularly given our rocky hold on our own Arctic sovereignty, the Conservatives’ boosts to the Canadian Forces and our defense, generally, are very welcome.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Incidentally, can you show me what part of that law precluded the PM from calling an early election?

In fact last time he did call an early election. Three was no reason for it, opposition had not tried to topple the government, Canadians didn’t’ want an election. Harper called for an early election for no reason at all; maybe he hoped to get a majority.

All the Conservatives who are now saying that Canadians will punish Liberals if they force an election were perfectly OK with Harper calling an early election, for no reason whatever.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I have mentioned this on several occasions, but I think it’s appropriate again here, given the discussion of whether or not the Conservatives deserve a majority to govern. When it comes to our current armed intervention in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, both the present and previous Governments have made one major mistake in planning. In my view, that mistake is that neither governing party has taken our mission there seriously. If the Conservatives (or the Liberals) truly believed their messages to us on how important our engagements there are, then either of those parties would have used the executive prerogative to recommend a formal declaration of war by Her Majesty The Queen of Canada, and dedicated the nation’s resources toward a complete and unarguable victory.

The fact that this was not done by either party makes me scorn both of them. Our engagements there are not a ‘game’ for the Government of the day to use as a ploy depending on the partisan environment or make-up of the moment—either we dedicate ourselves completely to the eradication of a serious threat and go all-out to make it happen; or, we admit that it was just a token show of action to start with by the Liberals, continued by the Conservatives, and shut the whole damned thing down.

On that note, one of the Conservative Government’s actions that I wish to applaud is the enhanced support for the Canadian Forces and other armed forces groups throughout the nation. Particularly given our rocky hold on our own Arctic sovereignty, the Conservatives’ boosts to the Canadian Forces and our defense, generally, are very welcome.

My point though was that if the CPC formed a majority, I doubt we'd see just a moderate increase in military spending; my guess is that military spending woudl be used as part of economic stimulous spending, a means to create full employment for its own sake.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Pre-scheduled Elections

That’s a funny game you want to play.

TenPenny, the intent of the law that Mr. Harper had passed was extremely clear: Governments would no longer be able to call elections before a term had expired, except for occasions of defeat. Obviously, there could be no amendment to restrict the power of the Governor General of Canada to dissolve the Parliament of Canada, because to do so would have needed a constitutional amendment with the agreement of the ten provincial legislative assemblies.

The Government (particularly, Mr. Harper) went against the spirit of its own legislation, and had the writs dropped for a general election exclusively for partisan purposes, which is exactly what the legislation was supposed to prevent through the addition of s. 56.1(2) to the Canada Elections Act. The Government’s drive when passing this legislation was anecdotes of the former Government dissolving the legislature and opportune partisan times—and what do the Conservatives do as soon as the chance presents itself? The amendments they made to the Act served only to mislead the Canadian people. Just another reason that the Conservatives should not govern.

(My contribution above is to highlight the dishonesty of the Conservative Party—it is not a condemnation of discretionary elections, which I entirely prefer to pre-scheduled elections. I think that would be a conversation for another thread, though!)

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My point though was that if the CPC formed a majority, I doubt we'd see just a moderate increase in military spending; my guess is that military spending woudl be used as part of economic stimulous spending, a means to create full employment for its own sake.

There’s no reason that the Conservatives can’t propose such a plan now.

They are the party mandated to govern, and they presently have the formal support of the House of Commons—so if it’s a good idea, they should present it as a budget and have it voted on. If the Canadian people support it and the opposition opposes it, then it’s the opposition parties that are going to lose anyway. The Conservatives seem to lack the backbone that they pretended to have during the days on the opposition benches.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A Conservative majority? I'd rather set my hair on fire...:roll:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Obviously, there could be no amendment to restrict the power of the Governor General of Canada to dissolve the Parliament of Canada, because to do so would have needed a constitutional amendment with the agreement of the ten provincial legislative assemblies.

I don't think anybody seems to remember that Quebec never signed the constitution so it really isn't a constitution. Meech Lake and Charlottetown both failed to come to an agreement, so do we have a constitution besides the BNA act? I don't think so. If I'm right, does any federal government have any authority? I don't think so. If they do not have our authority, by who's authority do they collect taxes and invade other countries or make and enforce laws?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Constitution Act, 1982

I don't think anybody seems to remember thatQuebec never signed the constitution so it really isn't a constitution. Meech Lake and Charlottetown both failed to come to an agreement, so do we have a constitution besides the BNA act? I don't think so. If I'm right, does any federal government have any authority? I don't think so. If they do not have our authority, by who's authority do they collect taxes and invade other countries or make and enforce laws?
I may yet write up a
tutorial. :lol: But I love you nonetheless.

The Constitution Act, 1982 was passed by the Parliament of Canada, and by the Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. There was no legal requirement for Québec to consent to the passage of the constitution—consultation was needed, of course, but consent was not a requirement for the enactment of the enabling legislation. Whether some Québec sovereigntists choose to believe otherwise isn’t relevant to the fact that the constitution was passed using legal means and therefore each province (Québec or not) is bound to abide by it. (Just as citizens do not have the legal right to refuse to accept a section of the Criminal Code, since they didn’t vote for it.)

You’re not the only conservative, though, to pretend that the constitution doesn’t exist.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I may yet write up a
tutorial. :lol: But I love you nonetheless.

The Constitution Act, 1982 was passed by the Parliament of Canada, and by the Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. There was no legal requirement for Québec to consent to the passage of the constitution—consultation was needed, of course, but consent was not a requirement for the enactment of the enabling legislation. Whether some Québec sovereigntists choose to believe otherwise isn’t relevant to the fact that the constitution was passed using legal means and therefore each province (Québec or not) is bound to abide by it. (Just as citizens do not have the legal right to refuse to accept a section of the Criminal Code, since they didn’t vote for it.)

You’re not the only conservative, though, to pretend that the constitution doesn’t exist.

First, I'm not conservative, I'm an anarchist and that is about as far from conservative as it gets.

Are you familiar with international law? Do you know if a constitution should or must be adapted by the citizens in a referendum? Canadians were not consulted about the constitution, it was imposed on us and I think that makes it illegal in a democracy. It does sound dictatorial, don't you think?