More 'Bloc Québécois' type parties?

rideAbike

Sep 9, 2009
Vancouver
I'm just trowing the idea... What would y'all think of a political scene where there's more parties like the Bloc Québécois? I'm not particularly liking them, but I can't only be jealous when I hear Duceppe saying that all he care about is Quebecers interest... I mean, here in BC, once you vote for you federal MP, he/she's very likely to disappear in the mist of the party line... You don't get much bang for your bucks...

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You can do even better than that. If you vote for a member of a big national party, he'll drown in the party line. But the same happens with Quebec. Do you think a Bloc member from Roberval is given as much weight as one from a major metropolitan area like Montreal or Quebec City?

If you truly want representation, vote for an independent candidate. Then you'll be sure ot have local representation.

rideAbike

Sep 9, 2009
Vancouver
You can do even better than that. If you vote for a member of a big national party, he'll drown in the party line. But the same happens with Quebec. Do you think a Bloc member from Roberval is given as much weight as one from a major metropolitan area like Montreal or Quebec City?

If you truly want representation, vote for an independent candidate. Then you'll be sure ot have local representation.

nah, not to sure about that... that would be way to "macro"... And I think that it's ok to give more weight to metro town...

I'm thinkin "province wise" here, not down to every little voting area. Seems to me that by having "provincial bloc", we as province resident, are more likely to get good representation...

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
nah, not to sure about that... that would be way to "macro"... And I think that it's ok to give more weight to metro town...

I'm thinkin "province wise" here, not down to every little voting area. Seems to me that by having "provincial bloc", we as province resident, are more likely to get good representation...

I don’t see a provincial party surviving here in Ontario. Canadian identity is strong in Ontario, provincial identity, not so much. Perhaps it may be because Ontario thinks that it is Canada.

But a provincial party will get nowhere in Ontario.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The opposite of federal is not separatist as many think in Canada but unitary. A unitary state has no provinces. To allow a party in a federal state like Canada that runs candidates in only one province is an example of not understanding the political system we have.

One issue parties are okay but they must run candidates in more than one province, this the BQ does not do. Why we permit a separatist party to exist is another question.