Role of the Supreme Court of Canada

What are your preferences for the role of the Supreme Court of Canada?

• Able to strike down laws that contravene the Constitution

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Cannot strike down laws that contravene the Constitution

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Interpret the law based on the Constitution

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Interpret the law based on the wishes of the majority

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Justices are appointed

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Justices are elected

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today, there was a debate going on elsewhere about the role of the Supreme Court of Canada—so, I thought I would start a thread dedicated exclusively to the topic of the Supreme Court and the role that it should perform for the people of Canada. The debate that we had was, to sum things up, a debate between two positions: (a) the Supreme Court’s role is to interpret the law based on the constitution, and to strike down laws that are inconsistent with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms; and (b) the Supreme Court’s role is to interpret the law based on the wishes of the majority of the people, and cannot strike down laws passed by the democratic House of Commons. There was also a spark of conversation on the topic of elected justices, versus unelected ones—I hope that we can also touch on that subject here.

So, please select the options that correspond to your preferences above. (It’s multiple-choice.)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Your vote is flawed, but cute none the less.

I hope this makes it all better now 5P.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings and insult the precious elite Justices.

Does this mean you won't be coming to the picnic? :-(

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You didn’t hurt my feelings—you hurt the fundamental principles of JUSTICE, is what you did! :angryfire:

... :p

No that's what the SCoC has done.

Shall I go to TPA and dig up the list of cases they dropped the ball on, the list of cases they over stepped their bounds on, the list of cases they actually made the law up on their own?

Shall I?

You stopped posting to me on this topic there, then, shall we have a repeat?

Look 5P, you admire them, I don't. Even though I enjoy the fruit of some of their rulings, I would gladly return my share, to have them dissolved and replaced with a body that represents the values and traditions of the very nation they claim to represent. So how about we agree to disagree?

They've done more to make a mockery of this country then any politician in this country's history.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Shall I go to TPA and dig up the list of cases they dropped the ball on, the list of cases they over stepped their bounds on, the list of cases they actually made the law up on their own?

Shall I?

Look 5P, you admire them, I don't. Even though I enjoy the fruit of some of their rulings, I would gladly return my share, to have them dissolved and replaced with a body that represents the values and traditions of the very nation they claim to represent. So how about we agree to disagree?

They've done more to make a mockery of this country then any politician in this countries history.

Go for it.....then we'll tear you apart peice by peice. Put you in your proper place.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
FP, I think the proper job of Supreme Court includes both. It has to interpret the laws passed by the Parliament and also rule whether the laws passed by the Parliament are constitutional.

There was also a spark of conversation on the topic of elected justices, versus unelected ones—I hope that we can also touch on that subject here.

Definitely appointed, not elected. If they are elected, no way will they interpret the constitution dispassionately, fairly. When they know that have to win next election, each and every decision they hand down will be designed so that the reelection became easier.

If they are elected, they will be politicians first, jurists second, as is the case with US Supreme Court. Though the justices there are not elected, they Supreme Court justices in USA are Republicans or Democrats first, they pretty much stay loyal to their political party (the most egregious example of it was when they awarded the presidency to Bush in 2000, with five Republicans voting for Bush and four democrats voting for Gore).

I wouldn’t want to see our judiciary corrupted like that. The system we currently have is working pretty well, leave it alone. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Never mind changing the subject little man...... put up or shut up.
You know full well I have put the material up. I have no need to go surfing through mountains of posts to find something that will be ignored.

Now go polish yer boots, you have some 'injun' to stomp...:lol:

Don't forget your baton and HY insignia.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

They've done more to make a mockery of this country then any politician in this country's history.

I find it interesting that someone who seems to worship the use of armed forces to enforce what's right around the world, has little use for a court that enforces our constitution, and ensures that Parliament doesn't overstep its authority, but has to follow the rule of law.

I guess you don't feel the need to have a Supreme Court, simply use the Army every time Parliament does something illegal?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You know full well I have put the material up. I have no need to go surfing through mountains of posts to find something that will be ignored.

Now go polish yer boots, you have some 'injun' to stomp...:lol:

Don't forget your baton and HY insignia.

No.....you can't wiggle out of it that easily. The discussion is here...not "somewhere else"..... either concede, or put up.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No.....you can't wiggle out of it that easily. The discussion is here...not "somewhere else"..... either concede, or put up.

I think not. You know I'm right, you're just trying to be a knob. If you think brow beating me is going to get me to go filtering through hundreds of posts, you know to exist, I have some property in Florida for you.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I find it interesting that someone who seems to worship the use of armed forces to enforce what's right around the world, has little use for a court that enforces our constitution, and ensures that Parliament doesn't overstep its authority, but has to follow the rule of law.

I guess you don't feel the need to have a Supreme Court, simply use the Army every time Parliament does something illegal?

That's exactley it. He may "claim" to have some "airey fairey" proof otherwise, but it is obvious by his dancing that it is non existent.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sure, I would support them, if that's all they did, it isn't so, they get my contempt.

:roll: Hittin' the bong are ya?

That's exactley it. He may "claim" to have some "airey fairey" proof otherwise, but it is obvious by his dancing that it is non existent.
Funny how you know it to be true, but seem to just want to troll me.

Hmmm, maybe VI is right about you...:-|

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

TenPenny, it makes the conservative position about the Supreme Court in the years past look pretty tame by comparison, doesn’t it? Conservatives didn’t want to send in army and arrest Supreme Court justices if they ruled against a conservative government, they simply wanted to use Notwithstanding Clause every time Supreme Court overruled them.

Religious right bans abortion and Supreme Court overrules the government? Use Notwithstanding clause. Religions right criminalized homosexuality and Supreme court overrules them? Use Notwithstanding Clause. And so no.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Sure, I would support them, if that's all they did, it isn't so, they get my contempt.

If the laws of the land are written properly, there is no 'interpretation' needed.

It's when our Parliament writes vague, misleading, or ambiguous laws, or doesn't think about the consequences, that problems arise.

You have contempt for people who have a different view from you, that's fine. But it certainly doesn't reflect well upon you.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The only organisation during the past few years to damage the fundamental principles of justice has been the Conservative Party of Canada, and the evidence of that is clear. The changes to the appointments process as pushed for by The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister of Canada, tarnish these principles—having a candidate respond to questions by members of the elected House of Commons makes no sense. The purpose of that hearing was exclusively for the Conservative Party to probe to see whether the candidate was agreeable to the conservative cause. The Conservative Party has openly declared the Supreme Court to be an obstacle to conservative governance, so at least its assault against judicial independence makes sense.

Shall I?

I think that would be fabulous, it would be a very engaging discussion.

The Supreme Court (at least under the leadership of The Right Honourable Beverley McLachlin P.C., the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada, as that is as far back as my memory goes) has never issued a decision based in anything less than a concrete foundation of law and constitutional principles. You can throw any decision you wish out here, I would love to go through the texts of the decision to demonstrate to you exactly how the Supreme Court’s decision is just and appropriate. The professionalism and non-partisanship of our Supreme Court, through its decisions, is documented public record.

That’s the point of my side of this argument—it isn’t the Supreme Court’s job to represent the people of Canada. That is exclusively a function of the Senate of Canada and the House of Commons (that is, the representation of Canadians). The role of the Supreme Court (as I see it) has nothing to do with democracy, and everything to do with ensuring adherence, in law, to the Canadian constitution. It would completely defeat the purpose of a judicial system for a court to make decisions based on what any group of people want a decision to be.

The prime minister, with just the above tactic, has taken the cake on that category single-handedly.

Definitely appointed, not elected. If they are elected, no way will they interpret the constitution dispassionately, fairly. When they know that have to win next election, each and every decision they hand down will be designed so that the reelection became easier.
I completely agree—one of the worst decisions that we could make as a country, on the sphere of judicial administration, would be to have our honourable justices elected. The judicial system used by the United States seems to be a “kangaroo court” system of sorts, where the bench is more worried about perception than it is the proper and impartial interpretation of the law. The example that you cited, with regard to the election of The Honorable George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States, is the perfect deterrent.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If the laws of the land are written properly, there is no 'interpretation' needed.
Then shall I suggest we start by shooting all the lawyers?

It's when our Parliament writes vague, misleading, or ambiguous laws, or doesn't think about the consequences, that problems arise.
Agreed.

You have contempt for people who have a different view from you, that's fine.
No I don't. I have contempt for all sorts of things, including the SCoC. But I love differing ideas and opinions. Letters to the editor is my favourite page in every print I read.
But it certainly doesn't reflect well upon you.
Considering it's something you just pulled out of your ass, it looks worse on you. ;-)

I must have been away - when did these two events take place?
They didn't I was just looking for the proof to feed to him.