Is Oil Making Our Politics Less Democratic?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
An interesting article from the Scitizen magazine, a science magazine about politics. Canada in my view is entering the big leagues and we may not be responding as well as we ought to be. The pressure may be building. 1.Feminists are silent on radical Islam's assault on women, and 2. below. Both add up to a passive possum strategy.

Is Canada Becoming a Petrostate? - Scitizen
Is Canada Becoming a Petrostate?

26 Jul, 2009 06:50 am

Canada's increasing reliance on energy exports, especially oil from the Alberta tar sands, risk unsettling its politics and economy and turning the country into a petrostate--an authoritarian society in which dissent is stifled and enterprises beyond the energy sector are de-emphasized or even discouraged.

In 2006 New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman penned an article for Foreign Policy magazine called "The First Law of Petropolitics." In it he elaborated on his observation that oil-rich states tend to be more authoritarian, especially at times of high oil prices. He formulated the law this way: "The price of oil and the pace of freedom always move in opposite directions in oil-rich petrolist states." Could Canada's oil riches in the form of tar sands be making it subject to the First Law of Petropolitics?

Journalist Andrew Nikiforuk answers yes. In part of his book, "Tar Sands: Dirty Oil and the Future of a Continent," he examines how Friedman's law has begun to apply not only to the province of Alberta where the tar sands are found, but also to Canada as a whole. He and Friedman rely in part on the work of University of California at Los Angeles political scientist Michael Ross.

Ross detailed three ways in which oil wealth undermines democracy. First is what he calls the "taxation effect." Because petrostates derive so much of their revenue from oil extraction, they tend to tax their citizens lightly. While this is certainly not the case in Canada as a whole, Alberta has low taxes compared to other provinces. And, Alberta can always generate more revenues by approving yet another tar sands project. This lower level of taxation disconnects politicians from voters because the politicians have less need to worry about voters who pay little or no tax. And, voters themselves care less and less about government as their direct contribution to funding it declines. Nikiforuk points out that in the 2008 Alberta provincial election voter turnout was 40 percent, the lowest ever in the history of Canada.

Second, oil revenues pave the way for greater government spending that can be used to reward political friends, buy votes and even squelch dissent by beefing up police and security services. Alberta's ruling party has certainly curried favor with voters with well-timed rebates shortly before elections. Political friends in this case mean those in the oil industry, and they have gotten pretty much whatever they have wanted in Alberta.

Third, the oil industry can crowd out more diversified economic development. Alberta and Canada still have a diversified economy. But much of that economy is resource-based, and over-reliance on oil exports could narrow Canada's economic diversity by making its manufacturing economy uncompetitive in world markets as the Canadian dollar rises along with oil prices in the future. (In fact, Canada already experienced the pain of a strong currency in 2008 when oil and many other commodity prices hit record highs. The currency has since retreated with the slump in commodity prices.)

Nikiforuk documents how secrecy has become an obsession with the current Conservative government in Ottawa, especially in matters of oil and environment. The environmental damage done by tar sands development is almost unimaginable. Yet, to watch over this development the Conservatives chose "the daughter of an oil executive." A report on the security vulnerabilities of the gargantuan toxic wastewater impoundments associated with tar sands processing was ignored in Ottawa until a Freedom of Information Act request extracted it from the dusty shelves of the Canadian bureaucracy.

Many provincial government officials in Alberta have either worked for or have strong ties to the oil industry. And, many find lucrative employment with the industry when they leave government. It's no surprise then that joint Alberta government and industry panels assigned to monitor the environment and public health in the tar sands areas have produced data and reports that are considered a joke in the scientific community. These reports predictably say that tar sands operations are having little effect on water quality or fish and wildlife and that no human health effects have been documented. The reason no human health effects have been documented is that there has been no attempt to do so. The one medical doctor in the tar sands region who spoke out on the need for a health survey was smeared and threatened to the point that he finally left the province altogether.

Other modern, industrialized oil states such as Norway have chosen to segregate oil revenues and put them into a special fund to finance government pensions and other long-term needs. Norway chose to direct carefully the development of oil and natural gas in its portion of the North Sea via a government-owned oil company. Alberta actually set up a similar scheme--i.e. a segregated fund for oil revenues and a government-owned oil company--when the oil sands were first being developed; and Norway, in fact, used the Alberta scheme as a template for its own. But subsequent Alberta administrations stopped funding the so-called Heritage Fund in 1987, and, according to Nikiforuk, have occasionally used it as a "slush fund" for various projects. The Alberta Energy Company, which was set up to allow Albertans as whole to prosper as the tar sands were exploited, was sold to EnCana Corporation by the provincial government in 1996.

All of this has enormous implications for Canada's relationship with the United States to which the lion's share of its energy exports go. Will Canada simply become yet another authoritarian petrostate from which the United States extracts oil in order to maintain its lavish level of energy use? Or will the people of Canada decide that oil and oil companies shouldn't determine the fate of their country?

As Canada sleepwalks further and further down the petrostate road, the people of that country may find it increasingly difficult to turn back.

cdn_reality

Aug 2, 2009
Somehow, I think if all the oil were located in Ontario and Quebec, it is unlikely anybody would ever think of such a thing.

You are so right about that, considering Quebec still exports Asbestos (with little regard to the end user) and the Federal government spends millions of dollars supporting this toxic substance speaks volumes.
When has one ever heard dirty manufacturing/mining (insert industry) referenced to Ontario or Quebec.

DichotoMe

Nominee Member
Jan 6, 2009
CBI
You are so right about that, considering Quebec still exports Asbestos (with little regard to the end user) and the Federal government spends millions of dollars supporting this toxic substance speaks volumes.
When has one ever heard dirty manufacturing/mining (insert industry) referenced to Ontario or Quebec.

So start a thread for that issue! I agree, put a stop to asbestos exports. I also think there is some merit to this thread. Try to put the regionalism aside and we might have an interesting discussion.

Somehow, I think if all the oil were located in Ontario and Quebec, it is unlikely anybody would ever think of such a thing.

Why would you think that. If in fact Ontario & Quebec did have such resources I'm sure somebody would find enough reason to bring this issue into the public forum. Just so happens the topic of the discussion is Alberta.

I get a kick out of people who think politicians are honest people. Some, maybe? Most, no! Everybody freaked out about the Ad Scam, and rightfully so. The libs were in power for a long time which eventually led to some exposed mischief. I am willing to bet the farm there was also some unexposed mischief. I can only imagine the mischief the Albertan conservatives are into. How long have they been in power?

There are some good points in the post, if you can keep the regionalism out of it.

• Alberta has low taxes compared to other provinces. And, Alberta can always generate more revenues by approving yet another tar sands project. This lower level of taxation disconnects politicians from voters because the politicians have less need to worry about voters who pay little or no tax. And, voters themselves care less and less about government as their direct contribution to funding it declines. Nikiforuk points out that in the 2008 Alberta provincial election voter turnout was 40 percent, the lowest ever in the history of Canada.

• Alberta's ruling party has certainly curried favor with voters with well-timed rebates shortly before elections. Political friends in this case mean those in the oil industry, and they have gotten pretty much whatever they have wanted in Alberta.

• The Alberta Energy Company, which was set up to allow Albertans as whole to prosper as the tar sands were exploited, was sold to EnCana Corporation by the provincial government in 1996.

Anybody anywhere could be tempted by the kind of money floating around oil.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I agree with a lot of what the article said. Some of it's crap though. Voter turnout is low in Alberta because their isn't a strong, competent, capable opposition party.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I agree with a lot of what the article said. Some of it's crap though. Voter turnout is low in Alberta because their isn't a strong, competent, capable opposition party.

Albertans like political dynasties that last about as long as communist party regimes, the more decades the better. Perhaps if Albertans voted for an opposition party they might get one capable of governing. It takes more than one election for this to occur.

I was shocked to read that
"in the 2008 Alberta provincial election voter turnout was 40 percent, the lowest ever in the history of Canada." This is appalling. let's hope it increases in the next election. Democracy requires participation.

barney

Electoral Member
Aug 1, 2007

Aside from the voting aspect, what about the article was crap exactly?

thatone

Aug 14, 2009
Albertans like political dynasties that last about as long as communist party regimes, the more decades the better. Perhaps if Albertans voted for an opposition party they might get one capable of governing. It takes more than one election for this to occur.

"in the 2008 Alberta provincial election voter turnout was 40 percent, the lowest ever in the history of Canada." This is appalling. let's hope it increases in the next election. Democracy requires participation.
I disagree.

Democracy; government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.

Voter turnout of 40%, 1% or 100% would still be pretty democratic. The % of voters that turn out do not have anything to do with a democracy (which Canada is), unless of course, the country isn't a democracy to begin with..but then there would be a 0% voter turn out.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Punch in "carbon capture alberta" into google news and you will find out the Alberta govt wants to spend $10 to $30 billion bucks on carbon capture over the next decade. What wrong with this plan?

1. CC is an unproven technology and may be unsafe
2. All Canadian taxpayers will pay for it! Not the oil companies who produce the carbon in the first place. Not sweet!!

Michael Ignatieff has said lately he supports the oil sands. Iggy has lost his pop as he lamely fizzles out. Democracy loses out to corporate interests. Sometimes it is the principle and the money.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Aside from the voting aspect, what about the article was crap exactly?

"This lower level of taxation disconnects politicians from voters because the politicians have less need to worry about voters who pay little or no tax."

Politicians get elected by votes, not tax dollars. The Alberta Conservatives are not popular and would (or at least should) be worried about the mood of Alberta taxpayers, if only the Liberals would get their excrement gathered in a pile. While I do believe that it is more likely that "voters themselves care less and less about government as their direct contribution to funding it declines", I don't see that as an issue here. Albertans love their politics. Comparing Alberta (and/or) Canada to other authoritarian states is touchy because of the relatively free press.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
2. All Canadian taxpayers will pay for it! Not the oil companies who produce the carbon in the first place. Not sweet!!

That's what you get for living in a corporatist state. Everybody pays for the skiers broken leg, not just the guy that strapped 2x4's to his feet and slid down the mountain. Why should business be any different. They are nothing more than a collection of people.

strange

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2009
Toronto
Well just look at our national environmental policies. there a joke. the majority of Canadians want to see a larger cut in Co2 emissions and higher taxes for polluters yet the Cons have been dragging their feet on this since they came to office. Ignoring the populace seems to be anti-democratic to me.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Alberta has turned into one party, oil rich state, similar to Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria etc. One party dominates everything, keeps the oil revenue flowing and people are happy. They will forgive the ruling party much, including corruption, patronage etc, as long as oil money keeps flowing.

Dumpthemonarchy, what you say certainly has plenty of relevance to Alberta; I can see your point. But I don’t see any connection to Canada as a whole, there is no evidence that Canada is becoming less democratic (though Alberta probably is).

Canada is analogous to Britain; they also have plenty of oil money. I don’t see them less democratic. What this means is that the thesis may be applicable to smaller units such a provinces (e.g., Alberta), but not to a country as a whole.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well just look at our national environmental policies. there a joke. the majority of Canadians want to see a larger cut in Co2 emissions and higher taxes for polluters yet the Cons have been dragging their feet on this since they came to office. Ignoring the populace seems to be anti-democratic to me.

Conservatism and environmentalism do not go together; usually they are almost exact opposites. Mulroney was a notable exception.

As long as Conservatives are in power, I don’t see anything being done to improve to environment.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Conservatism and environmentalism do not go together; usually they are almost exact opposites. Mulroney was a notable exception.

As long as Conservatives are in power, I don’t see anything being done to improve to environment.
As little as it is, they've done more then any other Canadian party to date.

Odd that...;-)

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
That's what you get for living in a corporatist state. Everybody pays for the skiers broken leg, not just the guy that strapped 2x4's to his feet and slid down the mountain. Why should business be any different. They are nothing more than a collection of people.

People in prison are a collection of people too. This sounds vaguely Thatcherlike, "there is no society, only people paying for potatoes." Almost anarhistic, I kind of like it though.

Some people have suggested, that since oil companies are producing the polluting, warming, carbon, they should pay for the carbon capture research. Where's the personal responsibility?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Dumpthemonarchy, what you say certainly has plenty of relevance to Alberta; I can see your point. But I don’t see any connection to Canada as a whole, there is no evidence that Canada is becoming less democratic (though Alberta probably is).

Canada is analogous to Britain; they also have plenty of oil money. I don’t see them less democratic. What this means is that the thesis may be applicable to smaller units such a provinces (e.g., Alberta), but not to a country as a whole.

The feds want to pay for this carbon capture research, which means tax dollars from all parts of Canada are being wasted to solve a problem that oil companies are creating. That to me is undemocratic. Why do the Liberals support the status quo? Then they become conservative lite.

I think Canada is still democratic but the govt need to be watched ever more closely. In BC the Campell govt just instituted the HST and said before and during the election they weren't going to implement it. A month later, wham, HST. One wonders why we vote for legislators if one bigshot makes all the decisions.

But then there's the city of Vancouver signing away some Charter rights so as not to infringe on the Olympic trademark. "Free speech zones" will be permitted that will allow signs that won't be able to be seen by the fragile public during the games. How can a city have so much gall to do such a thing? A document signed bby a pro-business council.
Jonathon Narvey: 'Free speech zones' for Vancouver Olympics - Full Comment

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Global War and Dying Democracy: The Revolution of the Elites

Transnational Totalitarianism

Global trends in political economy suggest that “democracy” as we know it, is a fading concept, where even Western industrialized nations are retreating from the system. Arguably, through party politics and financial-corporate interests, democracy is something of a façade as it is. However, we are entering into an era in which even the institutions and image of democracy are in retreat, and the slide into totalitarianism seems inevitable.
The National Intelligence Council report, Global Trends 2025, stated that many governments will be “expanding domestic security forces, surveillance capabilities, and the employment of special operations-type forces.” Counterterrorism measures will increasingly “involve urban operations as a result of greater urbanization,” and governments “may increasingly erect barricades and fences around their territories to inhibit access. Gated communities will continue to spring up within many societies as elites seek to insulate themselves from domestic threats.”[1] Essentially, expect a continued move towards and internationalization of domestic police state measures to control populations.

The nature of totalitarianism is suc

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Where's the personal responsibility?

Personal responsibility went out the window when we introduced socialized medicine an personal and corporate welfare. Some people want to hold corporations responsible but not people. That's kind of odd when you consider that corporations are nothing more than a group of people,

barney

Electoral Member
Aug 1, 2007
Politicians get elected by votes, not tax dollars.

I think Nikiforuk's argument is that petro dollars and low taxes are used to effectively buy people's votes, thus making it difficult for the opposition to lure votes away from the party in power (especially if, as you indicated the opposition doesn't have it's act together). Lack of voter interest in more than just superficial political issues makes this significantly easier, because as we all know, money talks.

And should an opposition party (i.e. the Liberal Party) win, the result will probably be much the same due to the enormous pressures faced by the government to continue to play ball with the oil industry.

Comparing Alberta (and/or) Canada to other authoritarian states is touchy because of the relatively free press.

Yes it's a very different political situation than that of Saudi Arabia, but the free press is hardly an adequate obstacle to the formation of a petro-state (unless the media is somehow free from influence, political and otherwise); the lack of voter interest in government activity is aggravated by a resistance to alternative and/or external news sources.

There is an assumption that large institutions are more inherently responsible than individuals, precisely because many more people have a lot to lose if a mistake is made. So when said institutions take unnecessary risks or behave otherwise irresponsibly, the public views it as a less justifiable expense than that of individuals who do the same.

Ignoring the populace seems to be anti-democratic to me.

If the populace keeps voting for the same goofs that keep ignoring them, then it's not the government that is anti-democratic but the populace that is unwilling to vote alternatively for the reasons stated above.

Alberta has turned into one party, oil rich state, similar to Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria etc. One party dominates everything, keeps the oil revenue flowing and people are happy.

But the fact is Alberta isn't a state: it's merely a component within a federal state. The problem is that there is so little unity in this country that provinces go their own way the moment the opportunity arises.

Personal responsibility went out the window when we introduced socialized medicine an personal and corporate welfare.

It was personal responsibility (for others) that allowed for socialized medicine.

As for welfare: personal welfare is about keeping people who have been failed by the state alive; corporate welfare is about keeping mismanaged or non-viable companies alive. The former is the least the state can do, and it does so quite poorly. The latter is indicative of a government that is heavily influenced by the private sector lacking the balls or vision to restructure.